• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best choice for electronic hearing protection?

ZombieMonkey

Can I get a liter of cola
Minuteman
  • May 2, 2013
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Looking to step up to some electronic hearing protection. I am looking for a set that offers a high NRR level as I know many of the sets out there are a bit on the low side. I will be using these in indoor ranges and in the open. I typically wear a set of surefire earplugs under my current ear protection and will likely do so. Much of my long range shooting is done suppressed with just the surefire earplugs in as my current pair is too fat to comfortably get behind a rifle without breaking the seal so a slim profile would probably be advisable as well. What have you guys had good experience with?

I use the Howard Leight ones. Them and soft foamies. Work well, comfortable, not too bulky. I just had me hearing checked again today and it's still doing very well. And there's been a lot of rounds (and jet engines) since then.

Here is a good review of a few of the better models. I'll vouch for the MSA Sordins. If you pay retail they are too expensive, but do a craigslist search or watch e-bay for a while, and deals will show up. Very well made, all things being equal, I'd be confident with a used pair. Watch the numbers though. Any of these will need foam plugs too to make things truly hearing safe (esp under cover/indoors), without you're still looking (hearing?) at a jackhammer level of noise, about 100db. Spend some money, how much is your hearing worth?

Last edited:
    Just a suggestion. I had problem with a couple of the ear muffs. Almost all ear muff has same issue for me. With ear muff, you often don't get a good cheek wield. I had a problem with mine hk sl8 and missed the entire target paper when using ear muff. I was off about 1" with my steyr ssg04. I shoot with ear plug only now aday. So, make sure you can get a good cheek wield also.

The same pair has lasted since 05? If so, that's better use than I expected. $300 was about the most I was looking to spend, really wish good ear pro was cheaper, would leave more $$$ for a Kestrel.

I have been staring at the MSA's on your site for a couple weeks and may have to pull the trigger on a pair. Only issue is the website shows you don't have them in-stock with the gel cups already installed. Any idea when those may be back in stock? I'd rather buy them from you as you're typically one of the first places I try to order from.

Thanks.