• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best choice for long action build..280 ack??

KRM427

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2011
Virginia
Im trying to figure out what I want, My smith recommended the 280 ackley. My other choices were 7mm mag, 6.5/06 or 30/06 ackley. Any suggestions. I want to take advantage of the heavier bullet choices.

Re: Best choice for long action build..280 ack??

I'm sure ya'll have seen this post a million times so my bad for that. Just curious if you had any choice in a long action what would it be.

.280 AI is an excellent choice. It can not be beaten ballistically by a .473 bolt-face round. To top it off, its an easy cartridge to load for, has great brass life, feeds well, and has a wide variety of bullet choices. I have a hunting rifle in .280 AI and absolutely love it.

Now that Nosler has standardized it, there is a spec for it and great brass available.

Remember, 7mm Magnum will require a magnum bolt face and will only have the edge on 175/180 gr bullets pushed hard.

is the .280ack decent for rapid fire tactical matches?

I'd say it's decent. But there are better cartridge choices for most tactical matches. I have a 280AI and I'm working on load development. I shoot a 260 for matches because it's a short action (faster cycling), cheaper to shoot (less powder), easier follow through (less recoil). I do plan to shoot some matches with the 280AI, but the 260 will be my go to comp-rifle. Good luck with your decision.

Edit -- sorry but I don't know what you mean by "rapid fire" so I didn't comment.

Im stuck with the savage long action I have. I plan to use a muzzle break to keep the recoil down a bit. There are a lot of used Rem700 short action rifles in my area but they want top dollar for them.

I shoot a 280 AI in "rapid fire tactical matches." It is OK for that purpose. I use a Hooper bottom metal with the 300 WM AI magazines. It feeds extremely well once you get the feed lips sized for the smaller 280 AI case. The only real problem I have with it is that it will beat you up a little after a long weekend. My gun is fairy light, though.

I was interested in building a long action 7mm (or close) round. I spoke with George Gardner at GAP about it. He recommended a 284. He said you could push the bigger 7 mm bullets faster and recommended I go that route. You might consider it.

CWJ