• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Chunky Soups for surviving global thermonuclear war?

Cardboard55

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2021
PA
With the prospect of nukular Armageddon looming closer every day, some with foresight are planning to hunker down with some Chunky soup to ride it out.

But which Chunky soup is the wisest choice?

Did you know there are currently 59 varieties of Chunky soup?

$_57.JPG

What are your top 3 Chunky Soups from that list for surviving the big one?

Bonus question: what do you use to spice up or stretch out Chunky soup? Hot sauce? Pepper? Crackers?

Fetch the womenfolk if you're stumped. They know things that we don't.

With the prospect of nukular Armageddon looming closer every day, some with foresight are planning to hunker down with some Chunky soup to ride it out.

$_57.JPG

Bonus question: what do you use to spice up or stretch out Chunky soup? Hot sauce? Pepper? Crackers?

Progresso.

Campbell's Chunky sucks ass.

Oh, and Progresso "Low Fat"soups suck ass too.........

Mountain house or alike for the main caloric intake and then whatever you can find

Lightweight
Lasts 20 years
Small pack size

Only water for prep..if you don’t have water it’s over anyway…warm is much better but I’ve done with cold when we couldn’t get anything lit in some serious rain when I was younger.

Canned soups as said above progreso regular/or hardy (what every it’s called) is so much better than chunky

Alternatively.........

Buy a $6.00 rotisserie chicken at your supermarket. Take all of the meat off and cube it. Boil the carcass in chicken broth. Add some water and chicken bullion. Strip the remaining meat and toss the carcass. Add garlic, carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, green onions, pasta and whatever your heart's desire to the broth. Probably between 6 and 8 servings and probably half the cost of canned per serving.

Far better than anything that comes in a can. Really doesn't take that long, isn't nearly as much work as it sounds. Green onions are the key........ ;) :)

Alternatively.........

Buy a $6.00 rotisserie chicken at your supermarket. Take all of the meat off and cube it. Boil the carcass in chicken broth. Add some water and chicken bullion. Strip the remaining meat and toss the carcass. Add garlic, carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, green onions, pasta and whatever your heart's desire to the broth. Probably between 6 and 8 servings and probably half the cost of canned per serving.

Far better than anything that comes in a can. Really doesn't take that long, isn't nearly as much work as it sounds. Green onions are the key........ ;) :)

True, I think I'll just smoke a brisket, have some good BBQ beans and some slaw after the nuke war....

True, I think I'll just smoke a brisket, have some good BBQ beans and some slaw after the nuke war....
Coincidentally, I made the same chicken soup last week. Had some leftover pulled pork from the pellet grill. Threw it in the soup to use it up/for shits and grins. Wasn't great, wasn't bad. Would I do it again? No, probably not.

Alternatively.........

And that can be stuck right in a jar and pressure canned. Better than anything from the store.

Not a huge fan of canned soup, as my woman is a crock pot soup guru. I do however keep a sizable stock of canned food. As things near expiration, I prefer not to waste them. Campbells is mixed in there. The split pee & ham and chicken pot pie are surprisingly good. And of course the clam chowder. Mix in some oyster crackers and tapitio hot sauce

Canned soups have lousy shelf-lives.

Dehydrated soups have excellent shelf lives. OXO cubes last about forever. Knorr powdered soup lasts forever. Dehydrated Soup base can get “filled out” with tasty post-apocalyptic treats like giant vegetables, talking mushrooms and rat meat. Ummmm rat meat!

Canned soup is at best 18 month thing. If you buy it the night before you get nuked.

Sirhr

Last edited:
my wife is a soup guru, tomato bisque, minestrone, gumbo, she makes large pots of soup and fills freezer bags . Places the freezer bags on cookie sheets in the freezer. They freeze flat , then she stacks them Rolodex style in another part of the freezer. Shelf life about 2 years. Chili and chicken and dumplings get the same treatment. Soup and a sandwich Hell yeah!

$_57.JPG

59 varieties that all are terrible

Think Progresso Rich and Hearty if you want decent canned soup. Add some of your favorite hot sauce and you have a decent lunch. I like my Progresso Minestrone and add a bit of fried SPAM to it. However, these are mostly for emergency or times when I am lazy.

I make my own 90% of the time. I always have a few gallons of stock (Beef, Chicken and Fish) frozen and make whatever the family wants. This weekend is Lobster Bisque

I always thought all the varieties of Chunky taste the same, but if I had a choice it would be the Chunky Sirloin Burger, loaded with Tabasco and a cheddar grilled cheese, on wheat.

Reactions: Cardboard55
There are experts on YouTube who carefully evaluate Chunky Soups:

Some even review Aldi's

We should need their wise advice, while there is still time...

beach8.jpg

Canned soups have lousy shelf-lives.

Dehydrated soups have excellent shelf lives. OXO cubes last about forever. Knorr powdered soup lasts forever. Dehydrated Soup base can get “filled out” with tasty post-apocalyptic treats like giant vegetables, talking mushrooms and rat meat. Ummmm rat meat!

Canned soup is at best 18 month thing. If you buy it the night before you get nuked.

Sirhr
Has anyone actually tested the real shelf life of these soups? I mean I know what expiration date is on the can...but I have a feeling that is yet another failed policy of the woke states. NJ and Commifornia require expiration dates on everything, even water, so I have a feeling someone at Campbells just put an arbitrary date on that they KNOW will not get a lawsuit when someone in South Texas keeps their soup in 120 degree weather for 2 years and then decides to eat it.

And what executive would not look at this and shorten the date by a couple years. I mean, if you have to put a date on make it a short one so that people have to toss the old and buy new.

So do we really know the shelf life?

Has anyone actually tested the real shelf life of these soups? I mean I know what expiration date is on the can...but I have a feeling that is yet another failed policy of the woke states. NJ and Commifornia require expiration dates on everything, even water, so I have a feeling someone at Campbells just put an arbitrary date on that they KNOW will not get a lawsuit when someone in South Texas keeps their soup in 120 degree weather for 2 years and then decides to eat it.

And what executive would not look at this and shorten the date by a couple years. I mean, if you have to put a date on make it a short one so that people have to toss the old and buy new.

Absolutely agree. It’s probably double what it shows. But if OP is trying to shill soups for nuclear winter… I’m gonna want 10 years not three. ;-)

And if you survive the flash, the radiation, the zombies, the cold long enough to consume all the cows, deer, rats, stoats, ducks, possums, pigs and hippie vegans… you probably can live on Kibbles and bits. But why not plan to eat well…. I mean… just because you can survive on spoiled soup doesn’t mean you should.

Oh and the point about stockpiling spices… this 1000 percent. Got our species through 10,000 years with no ice boxes or fridges with icemakers. Spices make everything good!

Sirhr

There's so much sodium in canned soups, they'll last for many years. I've had them five years old and couldn't tell the difference.

$_57.JPG

well, I can tell you, the split pea, will be the last one on the shelf. It'll be right next to the MRE breakfast omelet.