• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best "combat" boots?

For pure walking/hiking comfort, it’s hard to beat the Salomon Forces. They just released an 8” version. They will be my next boot as I want the extra ankle support.

For terrain like the pic below, even though heavy, it’s extremely hard to beat the Danner Acadia. Best ankle support I’ve had, and the steel shank keeps the mesquite thorns and other such things from getting through the sole.

0CC7E244-181E-478F-8AB6-55E67F7869CD.jpeg

Reactions: Distance570
I am always wary of soft soled boots like the Nikes and some of the lightweight Solomon boots. They’re ok for a day hike with little weight. But over a few days of walking especially with heavier load and the lack of ankle support, I find stepping on rocks becomes painful and there’s more fatigue in my calves. I also roll my ankle more. I know a lot of people who use these types of boots because they dry very quick. So if you’re planning wading through some water and doing creek crossings it’s worth consideration.

I also would avoid mountain boots that are overly supportive and heavy, if you’re not climbing up hill on a 14’er, than you really don’t need excessive support and weight.

I like some of the new options from La Sportiva but they’re approach boot soles are not very durable if worn consistently on concrete or gravel. But La Sportiva finally seems to offer a toe box that isn’t ridiculously narrow. My next go to is Keen they make some great general hiking boots.

If we’re specially talking military boots I mean I once walked around 40mi with Rocky SV2. A little heavy but durable and relatively comfortable.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I'm kinda surprised that no one has mentioned Lowa Zephyrs yet. I'm on my fourth year with my first pair and they've been good, solid boots. Personally, I have the high (8"), GTX (waterproof) model, but they offer them in 6" and 8" and GoreTex and non to fit whatever your preference is. I wear mine year round in all SE-Missouri weather which can be anything from 10 degrees and snow to 100 degrees and 90% humidity.

I'm asking from people in the know for recommendations for "combat" boots. I'm not even sure what I'm looking for hence the thread.

I 'think' I want 1. light. 2. traction. 3. breathable in hot weather but warm in cold weather. 4. waterproof if possible.

If you tell me I don't need waterproof or insulation, etc, I'll believe you. Tell me what I need.

What I have currently: I have a pair of Danner Lights II I've had for 25+ years. Great boot that is waterproof and offers a lot of ankle support. A bit heavy and while warm, not an oven. I have a pair of your everyday Sorels. Very warm, but no support and even going a ½ size small, my feet still move around enough that they're best for very cold or standing in cold weather. Merrell Moabs. I have several pairs of these. Both in breathable and Gortex waterproof. Great shoes I often wear daily. The Gortex waterproof aren't very waterproof. Light and maneuverable but lacking a bit in ankle support due to mid height.

I'm not in great need of ankle support but it would be nice. Not sure if I need or want a steel toe, but there seems to be a nice option if available and doesn't add a lot of weight.

The Danner Marine Expeditionary Boot catches my eye but seem to be a bit HEAVY.

Let me know.

Maybe @TheGerman and others who have actually used boots in some sort of working situation.
Hello Sir in my personal opinion it all depends on the terrain unless you are often in an environment that drastically changes from jungle to desert climate. The best boots at a discounted price depending on your budget will be the following boot makers/companies. Boots are like a fine single malt scotch. Most of them are good or great but only a few stand out as true 18 + year single malt. Boots are by far the most important aspect of a daily dress for myself seeing how on my my feet most of the time and constantly putting in miles of abuse with adverse conditions. Your feet are the most important part on your body. Whether its continuing a mission or going all out and beating them severely on sharp rocks in and out of wild and drastic terrain on various hunts. Danner makes an awesome boot! I love my Black Super Rainforests and they are some of the most comfortable Danners out of the box I have ever worn. Danners a tough and stiff leather once broke in they are some of the best boots out there with goretex the right tread pattern and 200 grams of insulation they are hard too beat. However they are abit heavy depending on mileage and application. Lalo Tactical makes one hell of an amphibious boot that many aspiring SEALS use on the Coronado beaches. Any German boot such as Lowa Zamberlains (Italy) and Meindls make great German boots! I would not get steel toe if your looking for uniformity in your walking. If steel toe is optional I wouldnt get them. Vasque has been used by DEVGRU/WASIX. ALL are great boots but finding a distinguished boot for any and every environment will be tough. I haven't found a pair that good yet! However if it's not extremely cold the Danner Acadias and Matterhorn Boots take a beating and keep on keeping on. I worse the Acadias everyday for 7 years hard use! It took everything I had too make them fail. I've worn them snowmobiling in the extreme heat etc. If you have any questions feel free too ask Sir I'm not a professional I just believe in helping a guy out. Have a wonderful night.

God Bless

I'm asking from people in the know for recommendations for "combat" boots. I'm not even sure what I'm looking for hence the thread.

I 'think' I want 1. light. 2. traction. 3. breathable in hot weather but warm in cold weather. 4. waterproof if possible.

If you tell me I don't need waterproof or insulation, etc, I'll believe you. Tell me what I need.

What I have currently: I have a pair of Danner Lights II I've had for 25+ years. Great boot that is waterproof and offers a lot of ankle support. A bit heavy and while warm, not an oven. I have a pair of your everyday Sorels. Very warm, but no support and even going a ½ size small, my feet still move around enough that they're best for very cold or standing in cold weather. Merrell Moabs. I have several pairs of these. Both in breathable and Gortex waterproof. Great shoes I often wear daily. The Gortex waterproof aren't very waterproof. Light and maneuverable but lacking a bit in ankle support due to mid height.

I'm not in great need of ankle support but it would be nice. Not sure if I need or want a steel toe, but there seems to be a nice option if available and doesn't add a lot of weight.

Let me know.

Maybe @TheGerman and others who have actually used boots in some sort of working situation.
I bought some Bates lightweight boots a couple of years ago. They are 8" high but light enough to not feel like I am dragging my feet. Comfortable from the first time I put them on. Summer, not winter, boots. Best part is I got them on sale for less than $50!

Let me know.

You might check out Blauer's website. All sorts of options, e.g. non insulated, insulated, waterproof, etc. I'm 75 and been unhappy with every pair of boots I've had because they all seem to have a gusset or eyelet or something on the ankle portion of the boot that wore itself into a blister eventually. Blauer makes a boot that uses a unique lacing that has no eyelets or metal parts to pinch or rub your skin. Light, solid construction, great price.

I wore the steel toed version of Danner Acadias or Danner Fort Lewis Boots on active duty for 20 years. Excepting about 6 years of working on the rigging deck and then I wore GSG-9 boots.

27 years later I tried a pair of the current iteration of Danner military lace to toe boots and my feet and ankles wanted to die.

I also am a Solomon fan.

In Fairbanks, Alaska. Crispi Thor II for light, durable, all terrain (including rock/shale) are good to about mid September. After that, walking boot once light snow hits is the Salomon Quest series, but you need warmer boots if you plan to sit a while. For cold, that is a whole different story due to where I live. I've done multiple 30 mile "walks" with a decent pack wearing Danner Acadias, but they finally gave out after about 15 years of hard use, just a bit heavy though. Every issue boot had it's place, but there is much better stuff out there. Don't forget, if you are a vet, you can get a discount on Salomon through Expertvoice. Hanwag of Germany makes a pretty solid boot as well. Their Alaskan is pretty solid. Biggest thing, it has to be designed for what you are using it for and it has to fit your foot. Some brands just don't work for some dude's feet. Hanwag, Asolo, Crispi all make great, durable boots, however, a bit pricey.

I wear out mid-weight, mid height boots every year (walk the tread off). Pack boots about every 3-4, depending on boot, where I am working, and what I am carrying. So I see lots of good boots and advice on this thread. But the one thing the OP needs to know is the shape and size of his feet. A well built, great boot that does not fit will create problems. If you are 10 miles from the nearest road...it could be a really miserable day.

So spend some time trying on various brands, and have your feet measured. Do not buy a pair of boots that don’t feel great on your feet.

Let me know.

Try having a look at the British army AKU boots light weight waterproof breathable good ankle support I use them right through out the year. Lots of hill work done in them.

my hat tossed into the ring. Viktos Jonny Combat

I wear a pair every day and have for 2 years. I have a vented pair and a regular pair. as long as you stay away from there zippered boots these are like wearing Chuck Taylors combat boots. hell even the zippered pair that failed after 6 months of everyday (which they sent me a replacement pair no questions asked) I sowed the zipper up and still have them as my "get into the shit" pair. I even toss em in the washer and they clean right up.

my hat tossed into the ring. Viktos Jonny Combat

I wear a pair every day and have for 2 years. I have a vented pair and a regular pair. as long as you stay away from there zippered boots these are like wearing Chuck Taylors combat boots. hell even the zippered pair that failed after 6 months of everyday (which they sent me a replacement pair no questions asked) I sowed the zipper up and still have them as my "get into the shit" pair. I even toss em in the washer and they clean right up.

Where are they manufactured? Website doesn't have a way to contact the company to ask the question.

Of all the issue boots I have worn, Danner combat hikers are the most versatile and warm. I wear mine elk hunting even in snow. I like them even better than the Danner Acadias which I had to buy. The best purchased boots after the military were the Lowa Tibet’s in terms of quality. For June through August I would not wear any of the above if choice was given.
EC87434A-4FEE-4744-9F76-15C04F1E71D9.jpeg

I'm actually surprised that no one has mentioned insoles on this thread, as a proper insole will make a decent boot into a fantastic boot in terms of comfort, foot fatigue etc. Superfeet insoles are my go to, and I've been wearing the Green ones for over a decade at this point.

As others have said, "waterproof" is a double-edged sword, especially as feet need to breathe, and I have yet to find a Goretex boot that breathes adequately for me outside of the older Salewa Alp Trainer Mids, which were an incredible boot.

I've been wearing Aku boots (the NS 564s) for around 6 years now, and they are a good balance of supportive, light, and breathable. I also have a pair of the Pilgrim DS GTX that get used in the winter months that offer more support and do great under heavier loads, but nowhere near as breathable as the NS 564s.

There really isn't a "one boot" solution for everything, I've found, but having a good stable of boots that fit your feet (especially when they are swollen and soggy) helps a lot.

I also echo others comments on changing to wool socks - they are life changing, seriously. The only better thing for your feet might be combining those wool socks with a pair of liner socks that work for you. Will literally add miles of comfort to whatever you do, even if you have to wear unbelievably awful footwear.

I live in interior Alaska over the years boots are like tools my weather can run from 95 degrees to -60 to -70 below zero. So I have to own several types of boots. For summer heavy work boot cutting firewood and timber for my log mill I wear Whites logger boots very heavy but a boot that will last years, and great support. I use to wear Danners but the last 8 to 10 years they are making junk I bought a pair of trophy 600 gram and at $450.00 they are the worst boot I have ever owned. I bought a pair of kennetrek mountain guide 400 gram insulation boots and they are my the best boot I have ever owned. Great support comfortable and long lasting also have a pair that is non insulated for hot weather. And for water proof Mucks artic pro they are comfortable but upper wear out last about two years.
Then for mucky mud areas I use Schnees just below knee 200 gram insulation great comfortable boot with extra liners. Not the best ankle support but rebuildable. And for colder temps I wear the Baffin caribou insulated with extra liners. And for extremely cold weather the old military white bunny boots, they are the best I have found in extreme cold weather I have worn them at - 74 degrees without wind chill.
I have found over the years that socks are the key thing to start with I only wear wool socks of different weights for the different temperature ranges, in cold weather start with light pair then a heavier pair over that.
I hope this helps you, I have found that the cost is nothing compared to being comfortable. Hear in Alaska you cannot afford to be compromised in any way for foot injuries In the far back country can be life threatening.

I live in interior Alaska over the years boots are like tools my weather can run from 95 degrees to -60 to -70 below zero. So I have to own several types of boots. For summer heavy work boot cutting firewood and timber for my log mill I wear Whites logger boots very heavy but a boot that will last years, and great support. I use to wear Danners but the last 8 to 10 years they are making junk I bought a pair of trophy 600 gram and at $450.00 they are the worst boot I have ever owned. I bought a pair of kennetrek mountain guide 400 gram insulation boots and they are my the best boot I have ever owned. Great support comfortable and long lasting also have a pair that is non insulated for hot weather. And for water proof Mucks artic pro they are comfortable but upper wear out last about two years.
Then for mucky mud areas I use Schnees just below knee 200 gram insulation great comfortable boot with extra liners. Not the best ankle support but rebuildable. And for colder temps I wear the Baffin caribou insulated with extra liners. And for extremely cold weather the old military white bunny boots, they are the best I have found in extreme cold weather I have worn them at - 74 degrees without wind chill.
I have found over the years that socks are the key thing to start with I only wear wool socks of different weights for the different temperature ranges, in cold weather start with light pair then a heavier pair over that.
I hope this helps you, I have found that the cost is nothing compared to being comfortable. Hear in Alaska you cannot afford to be compromised in any way for foot injuries In the far back country can be life threatening.

Hey Guy's, in reference to wool socks, stay away from Smart Wool. They have move most of their manufacturing to Asia (mostly China), and having worn (worn-out) many of their socks, I can attest they are crap, and don't last very long, even the ones made in the USA.

In general, Smart Wool is overpriced crap.

One of the brands of wool socks I've been wearing is Darn Tough from Vermont. They have a lifetime warranty believe it or not, and I've actually returned socks to them with holes worn through, and they've replaced them. I just had to pay for shipping the worn socks to them. They are priced similar to Smart Wool, but better value for the money, even without the warranty.

For those on a budget, I often find good wool socks at Walmart, mostly during Hunting Season, so they are seasonal items. The specific socks I use are made by Nester Hosiery (Mills) out of North Carolina. Good socks for the price.

Leftie
You are very correct on the insoles I did forget to mention that I always use them and have several different types to get the best support and fit.

Reactions: Leftie
Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm liking both of the Solomans for my use expectation. The Speed Assault, Quest 4D, and the XA Forces all look promising.

Thanks and keep it coming.

Any info on why so few of these boots come in wide sizes?

Hey Guy's, in reference to wool socks, stay away from Smart Wool. They have move most of their manufacturing to Asia (mostly China), and having worn (worn-out) many of their socks, I can attest they are crap, and don't last very long, even the ones made in the USA.

In general, Smart Wool is overpriced crap.

One of the brands of wool socks I've been wearing is Darn Tough from Vermont. They have a lifetime warranty believe it or not, and I've actually returned socks to them with holes worn through, and they've replaced them. I just had to pay for shipping the worn socks to them. They are priced similar to Smart Wool, but better value for the money, even without the warranty.

For those on a budget, I often find good wool socks at Walmart, mostly during Hunting Season, so they are seasonal items. The specific socks I use are made by Nester Hosiery (Mills) out of North Carolina. Good socks for the price.
I second this - Smartwool socks are garbage for hard use. I've cashed in on Darn Tough's warranty a few times now after wearing holes through my socks. They are a great company, and their socks, while a bit more expensive than competitors' offerings, are USA made and hold up to years of hard use, despite my best efforts to wear them out.

I've also been a fan of Icebreaker Merino socks, and have gravitated towards Injinji Merino toe socks as liners (weird choice, I know, but blame this book for it: Fixing Your Feet: Injury Prevention and Treatments for Athletes by John Vonhoff) which have been game-changing for rucking, distance running, and general foot-abuse.
Leftie
You are very correct on the insoles I did forget to mention that I always use them and have several different types to get the best support and fit.
@Ridgerunner griz your post is really great, and one that makes me smile, as you mentioned White's which are the stuff of legends for those in the Forest Service and logging industry. I think that insoles are an afterthought for most, but are often the secret sauce for correcting all kinds of foot-related issues.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm liking both of the Solomans for my use expectation. The Speed Assault, Quest 4D, and the XA Forces all look promising.

Thanks and keep it coming.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I had a pair of Quest 4Ds in the early 2010s that were super supportive, fantastic boots, except for the tread, which was total garbage in wet weather. I remember nearly sliding down the side of a mountain after light rainfall because I kept losing my footing due to their soles. They were also pretty sweaty on the GTX version. The Salewas never had this problem, and were nearly as supportive (the Alp-Trainers).

If they've changed that particular issue, I'd likely buy them again. I'm confident to say that the ankle support in the 4Ds saved me from a number of injuries and falls under load, which was worth the price of the boot.

I’m a fan of the Bellville One Xero 320 boots. Not so good for cold weather but they are light and comfortable. I’m due for a new set. Bought some Rocky SV2 to replace and don’t like them, wore them twice and they are in the closet rotting.
Every single pair of Rocky manufactured boots have had the soles fall off the boot. EVERY PAIR!!!! They make a great upper but , from my experience, they can't stick them to a sole for very long. Don't have a clue regarding soles on boots. And, they DON'T stand behind them. First were Cornstalkers I bought for myself and my Dad. First Nylon, non-leather, light, comfortable, waterproof, breathable.....GREAT....for 1 deer season. By the second season the soles were falling apart. Sent them in for warranty to Rocky. No warranty...over a year old. They expect one to buy a new pair of their boots every deer season?!?!?! Bitched and bitched at them. They finally returned boots...untouched....with a pair of separate soles for each pair. A DIY boot kit. What did they expect me to do with separate soles?? Duct tape them onto the boots??? Bitch session again. Sent them back. They sewed the soles onto the boots.. Now boots leaked like a sieve just walking in heavy dew out to the stand. I'm a slow learner obviously. Bought more Rocky boots for myself and Dad.......three times over. Same experience....soles falling apart. NO WARRANTY; NO STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. Even bought a pair of another major retailer branded boots....same experience....soles fell apart. Research showed that Rocky produced the boots under private retailer brand. No warranty...over 1 year old. Never another Rocky boot in our closets. In fact, we've banned Rocky boots from our 3800 acres playground. Someone shows up with Rocky boots......no entry. Don;t like it? Play elsewhere. YMMV, but our mileage was consistently about 15-20 miles walking....one deer season..... per pair of Rocky boots.

Because of a wound in my shin I have had to wear tall lineman boots for the support that they give.
Check out Hall's Safety for boots. It is an electric lineman supply point and sells tools and all kinds of shit.

Being a customer for 40+ years, all I have to do is call them and they know what I need. Never a problem with them.

If what you are after is work related or you don't give a fuck as to how they look, Hall's is a place for you to look. Big or tall, they can fit them all.

Made in USA on every boot I have bought from them, you just have to look down the line for what you need, and the line is long.
Get down to their House Brand, Hall's Safety, other stuff they sell is big bucks.

Fuckin things must be made out of Iron treated leather as they last well.

I do not use steel toed boots as I had a transmission roll on my foot years back and had to cut the boot off and that steel is tougher than me, but I would go with more flexible satety toes.

If you want laces that will last the lifetime of the shoe/boot, not what came with it, I have the answer. It is Briggs&Stratton or Stihl starter cord available in many sizes.

You sure as fuck won't be making the News as to your fashion statements, but you will have good boots that will stick with you. FM

You don't need waterproof boots. Buy a pair of gortex socks for heavy rains.

If you find yourself walking in mud/swap/heavy snow, put on a pair of Neo overshoes on top of your boots and you're good to go.

Ha! Those were the only black cadillacs I would wear when I was USMC.

They took a great spit shine, barely ever worn now....

View attachment 7544698

Uniform of the day calls for Corcorans

View attachment 7544700

Or these bad boys...

View attachment 7544701

I recommend none of these choices to the OP.
Aint that the truth.
I think more recruits suffered from boot related injuries, than anything else.
The GP boots we were issued, were complete shit.
Pain builds character.
Civvy boots were so much better.Once
posted to Regiment/Battalion, issue boots pretty much resided in lock up till required. "Go Fast" boots reigned supreme in the field. Scarpa, Salomon, Meindl and the likes
I've been caning my new Garmont boots lately, very comfy.
They breathe well, and haven't felt any pressure points yet.
Bliss!
I have 6 different kinds of boots, one day I hope to hit alpine areas again.

Last edited:

Let me know.

Salomon combat boots are amazing. I wore a pair working on a farm (hard use) for over two years and they're still in nearly like new condition. I let them get wet and not dried out properly and stink like hell though. Like when you leave laundry in your washing machine. I can't stand the stink so I don't wear them but I like them enough to buy another pair. I'll say the stink is my fault but just be aware they've got synthetic materials and need to be properly dried when wet.

Let me know.

Before they were No Go’d by the Army, I wore Nike SFB (Special Field Boot) Gen 1s as a drill sergeant for three years. They were like ninja boots: incredibly light, comfortable for all day spent on my feet on ranges, rucking, marching etc and the sole never wore out slick/smooth like many of the Altama desert boots with panama soles that I turned into rookie speed skates. I think the SFB Gen 2s are uniform compliant

I still have them and keep them in my vehicle in case I have to get home on foot from wherever I might be
V1qzFd0.jpg

Let me know.

Hi,

Pretty much it's 'horses for courses' ... One mans ideal isn't another's. So here's my tuppence view for what its worth. Ex British Army 28years and still like a 'day in the hills' at any opportunity.

First off, make sure you have good socks, something you know works for you and your feet, plus a quality insole, a lot of quality manufacturers produce a great boot and supply it with a dog toffee insole..... go figure. My socks of choice are by Brigdale, heavy duty pairs and lightweights, used them for many years and they work well for me, no hot spot seams and thick durable soles. Have them on hand for when you try on new boots, no good wearing sports socks and finding out later it's gone tight after 10 miles because you've got your favourite 1000mile thick socks on...... been there! It was a hard lesson (10 miles back....!) For some boots they will need a good break in period, but then once done, they tend to be the ones that last forever and generally can be resoled / rebuilt. Others are just like trainers and you can hike them straight out of the box, but they tend to be shot after the sole dies and can't be resoled. Your feet will sweat, no matter what, even stood still. Dry socks and powder. I take a couple of pairs on the longer treks and powder regularly/on stops (like lunch), if you think your feet are wet, but there's no significant weather issue, it's probably your sweaty feet....... If your boot goes in to the water and fills up....... it's wet, it will stay wet until you get the chance to dry them out properly.... gortex or no gortex, it won't matter. Trust me, it sucks when you've been up to your waist on a river crossing and there's another 6 days of army fun to go....... they will wear dry eventually (with sock changes), but if it's continually wet, you're up against it.

Boots I have used:

Boots, DMS (with cloth ankle puttees) - Bloody awful army combat boots from the 80s .... hard soled, no lining and very 1940s era thinking and shockingly bad, not waterproof.... Thankfully only wore them for a year and a bit in the mid 80s

German Para boots (80s/90s) - whilst serving in BAOR Germany, managed to trade a Bundeswehr soldier for a pair of these. Officially not supposed to wear them, but they got used regularly for 'non barracks' activities like ranges, exercises and the like. High quality German boots, similar construction to say a Danner or Lowa, with a speed lace system, comfy lining and quality sole and insole. If they made them again I'd have another pair. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd been made by Meindl or similar.

Boots, CBH - Similar to the DMS with a bit better construction (but not by much), no lining, no toecap and high legged with a hard sole ... tore your feet to bits and not waterproof..... the stich line down the back of the ankle was a doozy......

Boots Assault - the 'Pro Boot' was a high leg, proper change and a step in the right direction (excuse the pun) boot , good lacing to the toebox, leather and cambrelle lined, soft soled, I wore mine to death and luckily was issued another pair. Sadly no longer made or I'd get another pair!

Ammunition Boots - Used mainly for parades (and covered in beeswax and polished to a high shine), but essentially the boots grandad used in WW1 and WW2!! Made from the thickest leather you can imagine, and only leather! But when broken in (and they took some breaking in!), surprisingly comfy and could wear them all day every day, also hobnailed, so impromptu skating lessons happened occasionally. You had to have a good insole for these or you were buggered....! Not very waterproof, but it was for smart dress so no drama! You'd find many a soldier in vintage 1940s/1950s boots, I was luckier and had a new pair (handy knowing a mate in the Guards!).

Matterhorns - Issued these for use in the Balkans (for the second time), heavier than the Lowas, thick liner and made my feet sweat like mad, which in turn made my feet soft (no matter how much I powdered and changed socks). Good quality construction, but not a 'hiking' boot really. Great for working as a AFV or APC crew and standing on guard.... but not marching about.... not in my experience.

Danners - Had a pair of the fabric sided combat boots, used them for years. My unit was deploying to the Balkans (my first outing there) and many of us made our way to the US Army PX to get them, as did many other Brits (we eventually found some in Berlin....... after driving for a day to get there.... .). Hard wearing, quality construction, lined similarly but not so thick as the Matterhorns, only fault (for me) was they were a tad narrow. First pair of boots I used as a 'go to' in either a military setting or for trekking about the hills. Rather than having a pair of dedicated mountain boots for 'after work' business. I'd get a pair again if I wasn't using my others.

Karrimor KSB - From the 80s/90s, very different to the KSB styles today, more a traditional style leather boot for mountaineering. You had to break this bugger in and it was a blister maker, but once broken in, it was really good for a traditional boot. The cheaper sole construction meant that when the sole died, the boot died too, which was a shame as the leather had many years of life in it.

The boots I still use regularly are:

The Lowa Mountain Boot is a quality heavy use gortex lined boot, with a shank, which makes going up rocky terrain easier. My pair are on the second sole, vibram, standard grippy stuff and rand (after 10 years and the sole was slick when sent for repair) and they have taken abuse in all kinds of terrain (with the exception of arctic circle, jungle or high mountains). Solid performers but a little on the heavy side, used to put up with 20 and 40 mile bergen marches regularly, luckily those days are behind me and I can choose to do shorter trips now! The next repair will probably, maybe, need a liner change, but that's years away.

Lowa Elite Desert Boot is also gortex lined, pretty much the same bombproof construction as the Mountain, but a little lighter (not by much) with fabric panels, but is not a resole / repairable type welt, so when it dies, it dies and they don't seem to make these anymore. Used these in Afghanistan for my deployment and they worked fine. Pretty much the go to patrol boot for me there. These are occasional use now, but good for a summers day rather than the mountain boot.

Lowa Zephyr (it's like I'm a Lowa fan.... It's just how it ended up!) is my go to for when it's really hot. Got these for Afghan as the 'barrack boot' and used them occasionally on the ground. Mine are lined, but they are like a comfy pair of trainers and were good to go out of the box. The soles on these have started to go after about 10 years (so 1 Afghan and 9 UK summers). Not a heavy use boot and the ankle support is minimal (think carpark kerb more than rocky terrain!)

AKU Pilgrims - Got these after I left, but they are also one of the current issue boots available to the army, they are a commercially available boot so not just military patterns. Light, lined, fabric panels, good sole (vibram style) and ankle support. sort of stiff out the box, but usable after a bit of a walkabout (not quite a break in boot). Sizing and width fit with these was a bit of an issue, I'm a UK 8 but had to swap for an 8 1/2 as it was too tight with socks. Not had a great deal of use, but they are good for going into the hills for a days walking and I've had no issues with them.

Solomon GTX - These were a surprise for me and taken as a recommendation from a pal. I use them year round (in the UK). Light like a Zephyr, comfy like a trainer, but as bombproof in make up as the Lowa without the heavy leather construction, good ankle support, only gripe is the sole is not as good as the vibram types on my other boots. Can get a bit slippy when the going is slick.

Well that's my ramblings, hope it was of use, if not a little entertaining :)

Happy Trails !

James

You MUST try anything that you are thinking about buying!!! It can be a bitch to find all of the options to try on, but the #1 thing that will make or break any boot is FIT! There are some online retailers that do allow returns, they are who you want to do business with if you can't find them locally.

Not all boots are made the same, and that is especially true when it comes to FIT! Foot-Bed Width, Arch Height, Toe Box Size, Arch Support Profile, Ankle Width, they ALL matter, and they will vary greatly based on the boot.

I had to learn the hard way that there were boots that my friends wore and they worked awesome for them, but they were pure hell for me.

When considering fit, you must also consider the socks that you will wear with them. I always prefer to have extra room in the boot that I can "fill in" with socks. You don't want too much room, to the point that they are sloppy and move to much.

There is NO one boot that does it all. Temperature - at a minimum you will need both a warm and cold weather boot. Support - you really need a very lightweight flexible pair and a heavier more rigid pair.

As much as I hate to say it, if it comes from Europe, it is going to be better than anything that comes from anywhere else. China = Junk. There are some US boots that are OK, but they tend to run behind the European boots in technological improvements.

I have worn Keen, Lowa, Merrell, Salewa, and Salomon with great success. That being said, I just ordered a pair of Merrell boots that looked great, but when I got them they were HORRIBLE and I sent them back! Going back to my original comment, try before you buy, or make sure that you can return them!

Best of Luck!

Let me know.

Sounds like the boots I bought to replace my 2 pair of BCT combat boots(then 26 year's old already) I ordered me 2 pair's of Danner lightweight desert tan military boots, non slip grip, removable (for cleaning) soul, weigh as much as a flip flop, and I've now had them 7 years, and they are 100% good to go.

Where are they manufactured? Website doesn't have a way to contact the company to ask the question.

pulled the tag:

U.S. Veteran designed & developed in Portland, Oregon
manufactured in China

I just pulled there website:

HEADQUARTERS​

3911 N. HACKBARTH RD
JANESVILLE, WI. 53548

CUSTOMER SERVICE​

Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday
8:00am – 6:00pm CTS / 0800 – 1800 CST
Closed Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays

For all technical support, press inquiries, returns, warranty requests, and general questions,
please contact us at [email protected]. emails will be answered within 48 hours of each business day

I know China will be a turn off and hard NO for some.

Reactions: Alpine 338
I run a pair of Lowa Zephyrs for most of my range & SWAT stuff. They almost fell like a heavy running shoe & I've never had issues with Lowa's quality over the last 20 years. They do run a little narrow in the forefoot so I order up a half size.

I won't do insulated boots unless it's pretty damn cold out.