• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Day Pack

ZenBiker990

Control/Alt/Delete
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2011
United States
Need to replace my Go/GetHome/Bugout/Bugin/SHTF bag, I've worn it out. It's a purpose made shoulder style bag. Could replace it with the same or go to a small pack, would like to hear recommendations from others. This is intended to carry a few things to sustain me for 24 hours at most as well as carry my sidearm and spare mags. Of course,discreet appearance is important. Thanks guys and gals.

I like the Rush 72 bag - its roomy enough and has the waist belt. I recommend cutting out Patagonia, North Face, and Appalachian Trail patches from other stuff and Velcro or glue it on the pack to "hippie" it up so it's less tactical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Osprey packs are good for carrying a load. Them and any other outdoor gear packs blend in well here in the Denver area. I have an old Gregory I like. Well worn, carries awesome, lasts forever. I used it for mountaineering and alpine climbing with long approaches.
I have a rush and prefer the other except to the range/camping so i blend more. Urban camo!

I like the Rush 72 bag - its roomy enough and has the waist belt. I recommend cutting out Patagonia, North Face, and Appalachian Trail patches from other stuff and Velcro or glue it on the pack to "hippie" it up so it's less tactical

Sweet - I like the "camo" idea...thank you!

I have a rush 72 for my shooting gear, it's a great bag. Lots of pockets, it's well constructed and made to last. I think it would work well for your intended purpose.

For a pack with clean lines I have used Arcteryx for at least 15 years. Some of them have taken abuse that would have shredded other packs and they are great at handling loads. But none of them have lots of accessory pockets for stuff you need to get to in a hurry. Osprey is another great choice and blends in well. I just got a pack from Out There (http://outthereusa.com/) and after I have had the chance to torture it and myself through a few adventure races I'll post up a review. For a hunting day pack, where I need a quiet fabric, I use Badlands.

While I make some gear choices based, in part, on weight I don't do this with a pack because they can come into contact with a lot of stuff that will rip them up. And it's not just the fabric that counts but seams and zippers, Durability, function, and comfortably handling a load are some good criteria to assess.

Last edited:
I have the 5.11 rush 72 for my range/match pack. It's way to big to be a day pack and is not even close to being discreet. My BOB for the house is a Kelty ROAM, truck pack is a Kelty Redwing 32, and a Kelty Redwing 50 for hiking and camping. Just go ahead and rule out anything with molle stapes or velcro patches if you want discreet.

Check out the 3 Day Assualt pack by Mystery Ranch... That should suit your needs. If not, you can mollie it as you desire.

The Tactical Tailor removable operator pack might be a good fit. Get it in ranger green if you don't want to stick out as much. I've had one for around 4 years now and has held up very well.

Oops, looks like blue color is sold out. Grey would probably work well, though. The Kelty name seems a little less "tactical", and few get the Amron connection.

Think I'm getting the picture here now guys, thanks. Going to do a little more review based on these suggestions as well as lay oit all my gear and reassess what I want to carry, and choose from there. Quite a trick to be high speed/low drag/low profile/well prepped...

Quite a trick to be high speed/low drag/low profile/well prepped...

Yes - that's true. When I started thinking about what I wanted to take in a go-bag I soon realized I can't be prepared for every situation that could possibly pop-up. That would require a full expedition pack. So there are trade-offs. I had to really determine how much gear I really wanted to lug around and then get the bag to go with that amount of gear.

I see London Bridge has a sale coming up.....

http://lbtinc.com/mmc17?limit=all

I know multi cam kind of isn't the "anti tactical" color but in todays poser society whats "tactical" is actually "anti tactical".

Ive got two LBT packs. There is not a lot of high speed technology built into them but for a rugged bag that creates a void in order to contain belongings and transport them I don't think you can go wrong.

Made in USA is icing on the cake.

IIIA Go Pack for $99 - what could be more bug out than a bag that doubles as cover?

PS - $250 for a multi cam 6094 plate carrier is quite a deal.

Last edited:
Now that you bring it up...plate carrier vs concealable armor with plate carrier functionality, preferably ceramic...this is something that will likely sit behind my truck seat untouched for the next 20 years, but I look at it like 4 wheel drive: I hardly ever use it, but it certainly is handy when things get tough. It needs to be simple, because if I ever really needed it, the shakes would seriously hamper my initial responsiveness.

Last edited:
Look at grey ghost gear. Also for 24 hours I'd have a knife, gallon of water and some trail mix

Check out the Mystery Ranch Urban Assault Pack. Also GoRuck makes durable plain jane packs.

I bought a Patagonia laptop bag. It looks very unassuming. I bought a MOLLE insert for the backpack to keep things organized. You could keep a plate in the laptop sleeve.

Have a 5.11 Rush12 for truck bag, and a Mystery Ranch 3DAP for everything else. The MR is awesome and I just shot my first PRS match with it. It worked perfectly and carried more than I even needed.

I have a Snugpak Sleeka and really like the size and weight of the pack. Good price too.

I keep a little backpacking stove, couple of fuel canisters, cup for heating water/coffee/tea, etc, along with a collapsible drinking cup, Nalgene bottle and a couple of other bottles of water. Also have a compressed down jacket, and Goretex shell, spare socks, gloves wool watch cap, etc, along with a small 5'x7' tarp for making a shelter, or just as a wind break. I have 550 cord.attached, so it sets up quick. The small tarp is a great piece of kit, and makes a world of difference on snowy/rainy days.

I also keep a small Husqvarna cruisers axe attached on the side.

In Ziplock bags I have makings for tea, coffee, sweeteners, etc, as well as a couple of "Mountain House types meals and other foods that are not temperature sensitive. Basically a couple days worth of food. There are also a couple of redundant ways to make fire. Plus a headlamp, and small LED flashlight that takes a single AA battery. There are a few more things in the pack, but I think you get the gist of the size, capacity.

On the top of the pack is a separate pocket that fits a holstered 1911 and a couple spare mags.

I'm a big fan of the Eberlestock LoDrag pack (pictured below). There are plenty of compartments and also molle all over to customize it however you want. The rifle fits in the pack comfortably without hitting against your legs in any way. The bottom part of the pack also folds in to make it a normal backpack whenever you don't plan on carrying a rifle in it. Pretty unique design and holds up super well! If any are interested, we have a few models available. Feel free to call for more info.

Attachments

• photo51125.jpg
    photo51125.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 38
My EDC/48/Get home bag is a Kifaru X-Ray. The Mystery Ranch bags look to be very nice also. I think those are the top 2 companies out there IMO. My Kifaru X-RAy is made from 1000 Denier material, forgot which one lol but its damn nuclear proof!

LBT runs sales quite frequently, and their gear is pretty damn nice. My last 2 were from them. I also like the Spec-Ops "The Pack". I recently picked up a Arcterx pack as well that seams to be nice, but haven't fielded it yet. GL

My usual recommendation(s) when this question comes up: Very Best ($$ cost is no object) = Mystery Ranch, Best Value = LBT (buy during one of their several sales per year, when you can generally pick-up an LBT 1476 for < $100.00)
This time I'm also going to throw out another suggestion: a little known name (at least in these parts) soft goods manufacturer named Direct Action Gear. They’re a Polish company, but they do have US distribution (Ballston Spa, NY). I don’t have one of their packs but I do have a couple of their Foxtrot waste bags and the quality is really pretty remarkable. Not just remarkable for the price, which is surprisingly good, but really remarkable over-all. I tend to be rather picky when it comes to soft gear, I absolutely can’t stand any of the poorly executed ChiCom crap, and I can tell you the Direct Action Gear really exceeded my expectations. First rate materials: genuine Cordura, YKK, et al., and top-notch sewing to go with it. I truly haven’t seen any better execution at any price. As an added bonus they offer the world’s bestest ever cammo pattern: Pencott Badlands (my personal favorite ;)) If one of their designs fits your purpose they’re definitely worth a look, IMHO.

Last edited:
I like my Kelty Redwing 32

Just picked up a Kifaru Xray for smaller matches. So far its been ideal for the job.

One of the things that helped me decide on Kifaru was that once you have the frame you like you can change out the pack based on what you need that day. Short trips, the 22 mag might be a good choice. Going hunting for the week, cheap to buy one of the big units as well. One size fits all is tough to find. Flexibility can be underrated especially for bugging out and being prepared. X-ray looks like a nice pack along with many others you can buy. I liked the frame option and am happy with the choice.

Per Magoo22 you have wide range of options with the Kifaru frames because you can run different bags. Pick one good pack and stick with it, if not you will have over 40 packs sitting around, if you can afford it. Some packs offer just too many options, one can't do it all, for me it is comfort and durability under harsh conditions. Most of my packs that I am running are mission specific, I run Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Arcteryx, and Camelbak.

You didn't say you were rucking real weight nor needing a frame, so:

Something on the small side without all the bullshit:

Tactical Tailor Operator pack

Something larger with enough to stow your stuff and get creative with lashings:

ATS RAID II

Check out the 3 Day Assualt pack by Mystery Ranch... That should suit your needs. If not, you can mollie it as you desire.

This or if a smaller bag would work the Asap is solid. I use an Asap some and it's a bomber bag. I sold my 3 day assault and bought a kifaru late season for a "mid size" bag.

If you are looking for discreet, I highly recommend avoiding most of the suggestions provided above, as they all scream "gun toter." For years, I've utilized Chrome Messenger Bags, like this one:
http://www.chromeindustries.com/pro...l?dwvar_BG-002_color=MLBK&cgid=messenger_bags

These blend in better than anything I've seen from a tactical company, are highly water resistant, as well as extremely durable. They carry very comfortably, come in multiple sizes and colors, and can hold a sidearm, PDW/SBR, or broken down M-4 (I've done so for work). The link I included is for the medium sized bag, but there are smaller and two larger versions depending on your needs.

If you aren't looking to be discreet, disregard and buy a focus built tactical pack.

Anything with a frame and excess weight and multi cam to me is not a day pack. Even though it's cool it draws attention. And I'll take speed and the ability to blend in. in a edc pack. I buy used patigonia MLC packs when I can they are a $200 pack probably owned by some hipster to tote a laptop. I paid $40.00 on eBay for the last one. Has a duffle carry strap and backpack straps. MLC means maximum legal carry on. You can download a Tsa form pack it full nobody can say shit if you ever had to fly with it.But I'm very minimal. You can also get a camel back and convert about anything you want. I do that as well.

Big fan of any goruck gear. The bullet ruck would be perfect for your needs. GR2 can hold a ton of stuff, and is a larger option for a bugout bag. Their kit bags would work well too.

I'd highly recommend Vertx packs/shoulder bags. Designed for Concealed Carry, they are pretty awesome. They have also recently come out with some non-tactical colors. I have two packs and a sling. My go to packs for daily carrying gear.

These se replaced my Kifaru X-ray... And that's saying something. It was bigger than I needed and while a KILLER pack it screamed tactical.

I'm considering a Kelty Redwing 32 and an Osprey Pulsar or Comet for an EDC bag...anybody comment on these bags (materials, build quality, etc.)?

Have a LBT 1476A and Rush 12 for range bags - want something less tacticool.

+1 on this... Having cycled through a range of packs that came up short in one way or another, I finally landed on Mystery Ranch packs. The 3DAP is a perfect size, and will allow you to carry 50 - 60 lbs. comfortably. If you are an indestructible kid in your 20's perhaps doesn't matter as much. But as a guy in his 40's with a lot of mileage, having a high quality pack is critically important for carrying any amount of weight for any meaningful distance.

Litespeed or EDC - you can removed the adjustable PALS/MOLLE panel from the back to cut down on the "tactical" look. I have the EDC and have abused to for several years for various uses. It is holding up very well. Spendy ... but a very solid piece of kit.

http://store.tripleaughtdesign.com/Equipment/Packs-And-Pouches?_ga=1.55577193.33400851.1487129699

I'll +1 this. I have a lite speed that I use as my go bag for my 5.56 SPR. Very quality stuff. Buy their sterile transporter tail, put it on the outside for less tactical looks, and strap the Molle on the inside. You can then mount your mags and stuff on the inside while keeping the outside clean.

Is there anything that can conceal like a 12 inch sbr set up if it's broken down to upper and lower?