• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best deal on match ammo?

redrum007

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
North West
I have a shooting gig coming in the future in which I can only shoot factory ammo in. Since I handload right now I'm out of the "What's good" loop as far as price and consistently accurate in "Most" rifles go. Having said that where should I look for best price and is there anything out there better or as good as than FGMM?

Re: best deal on match ammo?

What Killshot said! ^

any ideas of the best bang for the buck, as far as .308's go?

Check out Southwestammunion.com

They make some really good ammo and it's what my partner and I use for all of our matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out Southwestammunion.com

They make some really good ammo and it's what my partner and I use for all of our matches. </div></div>

+1 on Southwest

+1 on Southwest Ammunition. I get ~2/3 MOA, 10-round groups at 100 yards from my AW and have a couple of ~1/3 MOA, 5-round groups at 300 yards. Just know that delivery will take a month or two.

—Andreas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andreas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on Southwest Ammunition. I get ~2/3 MOA, 10-round groups at 100 yards from my AW and have a couple of ~1/3 MOA, 5-round groups at 300 yards. Just know that delivery will take a month or two.

—Andreas</div></div>

I am seriously almost caught up. This week has been great. I haven't been this happy for about six months. We have put some products on hold to ensure availability for others, Mike is focusing on emails, I bought a head set this week to answer the phones while I am in back. Starting earlier, ending later has been paying off including the weekend work. Rock on, the stress level went from 12 to 6. I think my hair is growing back and I have lost 17 pounds.

Zach

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am seriously almost caught up.</div></div>

I'll be sending you a few hundred pieces of once-fired Winchester brass to reload in the next few weeks to ensure that you all don't get bored ;-)

—Andreas

I ran a 10-shot string of Southwest Ammo over my Magnetospeed in my 17" .308 with 30BA TBAC attached

175gr SMK / Win Brass
Avg = 2460fps
ES = 8fps (no shit 8fps ES on a 10-shot string)

With this same batch of ammo I have shot a 1.8" CTC 5-shot group @ 600y and a 3.5" 3-shot group @ 1025y

I don't know if this is how all the ammo SW puts out shoots since I have only bought one order of 200rnds, but needless to say I have been impressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran a 10-shot string of Southwest Ammo over my Magnetospeed in my 17" .308 with 30BA TBAC attached

175gr SMK / Win Brass
Avg = 2460fps

With this same batch of ammo I have shot a 1.8" CTC 5-shot group @ 600y and a 3.5" 3-shot group @ 1025y

I don't know if this is how all the ammo SW puts out shoots since I have only bought one order of 200rnds, but needless to say I have been impressed.</div></div> SHIT!!! Thank you for sharing your results, sometimes I get it right. LOL

Zach

cabelas has federal gold match .308 168 gr on sale for $20 a box online right now.

Nosler custom competition match using their brass and bullets has been consistently better than FGMM for me and is about the same in price.

Pretty tough to beat SW Ammo for quality AND price on .308!

Where another vendor has let me down on two occasions, one stands head and shoulders above the rest: Copper Creek Ammo. Live stock count on the website (in contrast to others with false "in stock" notices), custom ammunition availability, immediate shipping, right price, excellent quality and accuracy, etc... He gets it.

Check out his .308 ammo here: Copper Creek .308

In 175gr, Black Hills usually runs a bit cheaper than FGMM with comparable accuracy (assuming your rifle likes it) but I'm finding FGMM 175gr cheaper than Black Hills online right now, like low $20s per box, which is WAY cheap for FGMM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran a 10-shot string of Southwest Ammo over my Magnetospeed in my 17" .308 with 30BA TBAC attached

175gr SMK / Win Brass
Avg = 2460fps

I don't know if this is how all the ammo SW puts out shoots since I have only bought one order of 200rnds, but needless to say I have been impressed.</div></div>

What grade ammo did you use? New winchester brass, lapua, or federal?