• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Best deer feed/attractant

BrettSass844

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Germantown, OHIO
Looking to try something new at deer camp this year. I have never messed with putting any feed out before because we usually get down there on sunday morning and start hunting monday. This year we are leaving sat morning so I am considering putting out something to hopefully draw a little more action than last year. I have already used my buck tag so it will be doe only. Plan on hunting a area in a large bottom that has relatively thin timber for southern Ohio. There is a creek that runs through the bottom and up one hill a large pine tree lot where they bed. Any ideas? I was thinking of a couple apple blocks with some apple feed with it. I have also heard of guys putting apples down and rubbing some of them on the trees to get the scent out faster. In your opinion is basically 1 and 3/4 days enough time to even mess with it? Any ideas would be appreciated! Also what has worked for you guys and how long was the turn around time before they started coming in?

Re: Best deer feed/attractant

For that short of time you'll definately need something that has a pretty stout smell. Apples might be okay if you do what you were talking about with them. The Acorn Rage seems to be working pretty good for me. I put some out in a small wooded draw and I could smell it all through the draw.

I've always had better luck when I scout and find the acorn, persimmon trees, berries etc. than putting out any type of feed.

Thanks guys. There are several trails that feed down to this bottom. I think I will try putting out 2 feed areas both about 50 yards from my stand in opposite directions of each other. Some acorn rage over a acorn mineral block. And some apple feed over a apple mineral block. Also I'm going to grab a bag of apples and rub them on the trees in the area and leave some on the ground. If nothing else should make for a interesting week of watching different rodents from the stand. I will take my camera and try to get some decent pics since that's all I can do if a buck comes in anyways. I will post the results of the feed areas also, try to take pics of them daily without disturbing the area. Thanks again

if the ruts on try some sort of doe urine on a wick. i would just hand corn, they will find it by the first night and be back the next morning. this is how i bow hunt on the wknds.

I haven't had any luck with the stuff I've tried.. C'mere Deer and the Deer Cain don't seem to do anything for the few times I've tried them. I've still seen/harvested deer, but none even sniffed at what I've put down or appeared to be drawn to it in any way.

I do however believe the doe urine on wicks works during the rut.

try mixing corn, sweet feed and 'Buck Grub'..works well for getting bucks in my trail cam photos before season, here in Missouri.

When deer cain first came out several years ago it was called deer cocaine! I guess that wasn't politically correct so it suddenly became deer cain. Now maybe it's just my imagination but when I used "deer cocaine" it worked really, really well!! Over a season, the deer would dig huge holes in the ground eating the stuff! I've tried "deer cain" over the last two or three years with little result. I'd like to know if the ingredients have changed. I've been checking my hunting area about once a week for the last couple of months and acorn rage and regular old corn seem to be working best.