• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best dies for compressed loads.

TheBrewMaster

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2011
SLC, Utah
What is the best set of dies for compressed loads?

I shoot a AI AW in 300 win mag and I'm shooting 225 gr bullets with Nosler brass and 78 gr of Retumbo on a Forester press.

I just got some Redding Comp dies but read that this die doesn't work with compressed loads:(

Does anyone use this die for compressed loads?

Re: Best dies for compressed loads.

"What is the best set of dies for compressed loads?"

Lee's seaters are probably the best available for compressed loads, you can't damage that floating seating stem even if you bulge the case bodies passed chambering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheBrewMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got some Redding Comp dies but read that this die doesn't work with compressed loads:(

Does anyone use this die for compressed loads? </div></div>

The Redding Competition dies must never be used for seating bulelts in compressed loads, as the forces created will damage or detroy the innards of the dies.

These dies are made to very exacting tolerances, with a tight-fitting bullet ogive insert, to hold very consistently the case-base-to-ogive dimension on each cartridge. They are NOT made to muscle a compressed laod of powder and bullet into a case. Wrong chocie of die if you want to use a compressed load.

Jim G

crap, this is news to me.

How much compression are we talking? What about a little bit of Varget compression?

I don't load compressed rounds; if that's needed I use a faster powder. And I sure wouldn't use my excellant Forster seaters to cruch down a 300 case overly full of a too slow powder.

What about using an arbor press along with Wilson dies?

I bungled up a Redding die. Redding told me they were not for compressed loads or use in a progressive reloader.

I went with the Forester die and haven't had problems since.

I have since learned (heard) that it's because Redding doesn't harden the seating stem and it starts to swell.

YMMV

For the record, I use a Redding comp bullet seater in 308 on compressed loads. I have loaded over 1000 rounds in this die with no issues whatsoever.

The trick is to use a slow lever arm and feel the bullet going into the case mouth. The slower you move the lever arm, the less force you place on the bullet pushing <thing-a-ma-bob> in the die. It is this component of the die that expands and causes problems. Go slow, and it works like a charm.

How compressed? Try 47.8 gr Varget in 308 pushing a 155 Scenar.

So...

What die would let me make the most accurate ammo with compressed loads?

Any help would be appreciated from anyone else that does compressed loads.

Thanks in advance.

If anyone here does compressed loads I would be interested to know what die is used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheBrewMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone here does compressed loads I would be interested to know what die is used.

</div></div>

I'm not sure what you're getting at--why would it be any different for compressed loads?

I use the same seating die as for non-compressed loads; the Lee dead-length bullet seating die (does not crimp at the end of the throw like the standard Lee seating die).

There is a card that came with the die that says that compressed loads will damage the die.

It seems some use this die for compressed loads anyway. I would just like to know if there is a better die for compressed loads that will not damage the die and give me the least amount of runout possible. .001ish

From what I gather the Redding comp die is built to the closest tolerance out there, and please correct me if I'm wrong. I would just hate to do something that will reduce the life of the die but if that is the price for accuracy; It is What it is.

I try not to use compressed loads.

When I have in the past I've used:

Lee
Forster ultra micrometer dies
Wilson Hand dies with an arbor press

The lee worked fine for it's purpose, but I prefered having a micrometer top, and my bullets tended to not engage the seater stem as well as the forster, redding, or wilson..

I have also used a redding comp die and cracked 3 seating stems from excessive neck tension and/or compressed loads...Yes I found out the hard way that you really can't use the redding comp seater for those particulars.

I now use forster and wilson hand dies for my seating depending on the cartridge. Runout with the forster is as good as the redding, and my best results have been with my wilson.

Just my experience, others may differ.

That just blows me away. What is there inside a redding comp seater that is that fragile? With Varget anyway, you barely feel any extra resistance when you start crushing the powder.

I used to a compressed 155 Scenar load from my 308, after many thousands of rounds my Redding Comp Seater is just fine

The seater stem apparently will crack under too much pressure. According to redding the crack may or may not be visible with the naked eye. I started noticing increased runout on my rounds. On the reccommendation of the folks at Sinclairs I switched the seater stem to a vld seater stem thinking it was due to my bullet shape. Worked well for a while, then increased runout again...I tried one more seater stem, same result.

Sent the die back to redding and they confirmed that the seater stems were damaged/cracked. The seater would still seat just fine, just the runout was anywhere from .005-.010" TIR.

Again, this was a combination of high neck tension/compressed powder charge (Both of which I no longer use for my reloads anymore as I have progressed in my reloading knowledge and experience).

Personally, I think gently compressed loads with the redding will be just fine, but if you really start crunching on powder I would proceed with caution.

Again, just my experience...Absolutely nothing wrong with the redding. The fault in this case is most definitely user error and lack of knowledge in the proper usage of the product at the time.

Something that might be worth a try is a long drop tube or a funnel with a.long drop tube if you are weighing each charge. I can't speak to the load but a long drop tube has helped me get more powder in a case while maintaining he same height of powder in the case. A drop tube can help powder settle better so you would have less need to compress it. The downside is if you are still trying to compress powder that is already settled that will put more pressure on your seater stem. But it might be worth a try.