• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best dies for consistancy

rocky_lange

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2008
Pelham, AL
Ok, like the title says, I am looking for the best dies for consistant ammo.

Gun #1, Rem XR100 in 223. Will be using if for 100 yard BR and F-Class.

Gun #2, Kimber LPT in .308, also used for 100 yard BR, F-Class and hunting.

I will be using Lapus brass of course.

Not looking for load data at this time, just which set of dies will give the best results.

Oh, Lee single stage press for now.

Re: best dies for consistancy

its all opnion, but ive changed all my dies out to redding. the 308 die i have is more consistant than the rcbs micromiter die i got rid of.

I prefer Redding to all others. Still own some RCBS, Lee, Hornady. RCBS is decent, some Lee stuff is okay, not all. Collet dies are good, so are factory crimp dies. Seaters suck. Hornady dies suck. Haven't used them since they recently changed their design, though.....

i have used RCBS comp dies for years,,,,,,along with the redding comp dies also......

Most of my dies are RCBS, accumulated over the years, but since I discovered Redding, I will seldom buy anything else. I have added a couple of Wilson in-line seater dies for use in an arbor press, but the newest bushing style sizer dies and competition seating dies from Redding make this unnecessary.

Redding - fit and finish are superb, excellent workmanship and good factory service(which is rarely needed).

Paul

Being new to reloading and only buying Redding, I don't know how better they are than anything else, but many seem to like these and Forster above most else.

- Phil

Dies are dies, something in them would have to change between rounds for "consistancy" to vary and that doesn't happen. Inconsistancy comes from inconsistant operations and poor methods, not the dies or the press used.

I started with RCBS Competition dies and have since changed to Redding Type S FL Competition Die Sets. There is a measureable difference in runout and Redding is clearly a better die set hands down.

I like the Redding body die and the competition seatig die with the Lee collet neck sizing die. I get very consistent and concentric loads with these dies.

I changed out all my Dies which were mainly Dillon for Redding Dies. I have found them to be very consistent.

or you can try turning the die 180 deg to get rid of run out and Redding get my vote for the accuracy and their custom service

"What about the Dillon carbide .308 dies. Are they worth the extra $80?"

No.

I use Redding FL bushing sizer and Comp seater. Don't know if they are "best" but they are very good and hold up well.
RTH

Redding and the RCBS comp dies are great quality and I have both in various calibers. I really like the micrometer seating die with the sliding bullet window. That being said I wanted to try something different and have been using the Lee collet neck sizer die with very good results. I have a few sets of Lee dies and they might not get a lot of love they do produce very good ammo. The case and bullet run out are equal to my RCBS & Redding dies.
I am starting to view Lee dies a lot differently now after using them.

As for micrometer seating dies if you save a loaded round the OAL is easy to set with any standard seating die. I do like the sliding bullet window feature but your paying for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dies are dies, something in them would have to change between rounds for "consistancy" to vary and that doesn't happen. Inconsistancy comes from inconsistant operations and poor methods, not the dies or the press used. </div></div>

Hmmm, not buying it. Dies are dies??? Isn't that kind of like saying that guns are guns and no one gun is any more consistant of a shooter than the next? Every time you put a case and bullet in the seating die, parts move. I want a die that the parts will move the same way every time. Some dies I am sure lack the tolerances that promote consistancy. That is why I asked the question.

For me Redding competition micrometer style dies are the best. I have learned to trust them, just have to pull them apart every now and then and clean them out and you will be GTG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: walkstep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the Dillon carbide .308 dies. Are they worth the extra $80?

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content...Three_Die_Sets_ </div></div>

The carbide rifle dies are / were targeted to high volume loaders for better wear qualities. You still have to lube the cases. Nice tooling but likely overkill for the average guy. I have found Lee and RCBS both will replace worn dies without question if you do wear one out.

+1 for Lee Collet Dies!! I have them for my 22-250 and 300 WM. Brass last longer and groups are much tighter than they were with my Lee Standard Dies.

My Lee collet die ammo is as good or better than the Redding & RCBS dies. Since I do not full length size I no longer use the RCBS comp sizer die. My Redding dies I modded (shortened) to use on my DIllon 1050 in .308 (barley fits).

My Lee collet die ammo in .308 is literally a one hole shooter out of my FN SPR rifle.

Lee makes some great dies but the name & price is not as "cool" as the other big name guys. If your shooting a bench gun with a tight chamber and turn your case necks a bushing type sizing die to control neck tension might be a better choice. For regular loading of standard calibers Lee is a serious consideration and pretty hard to beat feature wise.

"My Lee collet die ammo in .308 is literally a one hole shooter out of my FN SPR rifle....Lee makes some great dies but the name & price is not as "cool" as the other big name guys."

Amusing, ain't it?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"My Lee collet die ammo in .308 is literally a one hole shooter out of my FN SPR rifle....Lee makes some great dies but the name & price is not as "cool" as the other big name guys."

Amusing, ain't it?
wink.gif
</div></div>

Yep.
Dies are dies....