• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best Drop-in Savage Barrel?

CheechTheDon

Range Monkey
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2011
WA
Starting my first Savage 10 build and am trying to decide on what barrel I am going to put on. Just some info, it will be in 6.5 creedmoor and I am open to either varmint or bull contours. It will be cerakoted so I am not worried about the finish very much.

Re: Best Drop-in Savage Barrel?

benchmark barrels... 425...any caliber,any taper length to 28"

they have made me two a 260 and a 7mmsaum
had the 260 cut back and rechambered at 1400...i was a little hot
and the saum i had rechambered to 7mm08
both shoot amazingly well... the chambers that they do now are even better than the first ones
theyre removable muscle break is also very good at keeping you on target for faster followup and spotting misses

i would get some kind of a varmint profile
the bull will be unweildy and heavy frontended
you are going to enjoy the creed
BK

I have 2 Criterion (.260 Rem and .223 Rem) and 2 Shilen (6mm Rem AI and 25-06 Rem). All shoot great.

I have been looking at the Shilen drop-in barrels mainly, but have heard mixed reviews? Anyone used a savage drop-in Shilen barrel?

I have two CBI Barrels one in 7mm saum and the other in 300wm they both shoot great.

Price is somewhat important but I would rather pay more and know I got a better quality barrel. It will mainly be for 800m+ paper punching and a little long range critter shooting.

You will not go wrong with Shilen. I can't speak for the CBI I have heard good things about them.

I do have a Shilen in 25/06 and it is a hammer.

Awesome Diesel, yeah I think that is what I am leaning towards.

Both Shilen barrels

284 Win
180.jpg

6.5x47
130.jpg

I shot this with the 6.5x47 yesterday at 1000 yards in a 25-30mph crosswind. First shot of group is the low left (edge of target). Dialed 1moa up and shot the next 4.
31e3633a.jpg

Pyplynr, nice groups! Just emailed shilen for a quote on a 6.5 CM cut down to 22" and threaded for suppressor.

I cannot elaborate on a Benchmark/Douglas/Brux/Shilen/etc. but Criterion is good-to-go, especially for a prefit. I've got a 26" varmint contour tube in 260 Rem, and I am the weak link in my rifle's accuracy though I have worked up a couple loads that are consistently in the 0.5MOA ballpark. But proof CBI barrels are shooters...

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/09/15-year-old-gal-wins-her-first-ever-f-class-match/

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,43384.0.html

SS barrels start at $280 from Jim Briggs @ Northland Shooters Supply, and threading from the factory is an additional $70.

SavageContours-1.jpg

I have a shilen that I put on my savage build chambered in 6.5x47. I've got zero complaints. It was easy to install and is more accurate than I am.

Just got emailed my quote from shilen and it would come out to $420 before shipping, with it factory threaded for suppressor. This rifle is going to be more of a weekend warrior backyard shooter than a competition gun. I guess the question is now, is Shilen worth the extra $70 over a Criterion?

I have both Shilen and Criterion savage prefit. If it was up to me I would save the extra $70, and get the Criterion. They're great barrels. Use the extra money on ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CheechTheDon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess the question is now, is Shilen worth the extra $70 over a Criterion? </div></div>

How much does the Criterion cost once cut to desired length and threaded...?

No dog in the fight either way. I've heard much good about both brands, and little to no complaints.

According to Boilerup, they start at $350 threaded

Ah. Missed that. Guess the next thing is how long you are willing to wait, as I'm guessing the short length and threaded muzzle will not be an in-stock item for either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah. Missed that. Guess the next thing is how long you are willing to wait, as I'm guessing the short length and threaded muzzle will not be an in-stock item for either. </div></div>

Only way to be for sure is to call Jim @ NSS...I believe I've read 8-12 weeks lead times over the last year or so but might be mistaken.

One could always get a 26" varmint contour or 28" bull contour that Jim stocks and cut/thread to spec if they needed it ASAP...

Well lucky for me I am just ordering parts for my build to be shipped to my house, as I am deployed right now. So time is one thing I definitely have haha. Does anyone know if the CBI barrels are hand-lapped like the select match Shilens?

From Criterion:

Savage prefit
Production Information

Our barrels are manufactured with gun barrel quality, ordinance-grade chrome moly steel and gun barrel quality 410 stainless steel. Both materials are heat treated and double stress relieved when they arrive from the mill.

Almost all operations from drilling to milling are performed in-house. For the operations we don't perform (heat treatment, chrome-lining, and phosphating), we partner with local businesses who meet our quality standards.

Our in-house operations are described below.
Button Rifling

Button rifling does put stress into the steel. That is why we thoroughly stress relieve the barrels again after buttoning to ensure dimensional integrity during the turning and milling operations.
Lapping

Most production barrels are generally not lapped; however, the lapping process is absolutely essential for accuracy. For this reason, before chambering and crowning operations, we lap the bores to remove reamer rings and to improve the surface finish and bore uniformity.
Turning and Milling

We have two CNC turning cells and a milling cell to accomplish various contours.

Very helpful trailrider, I just sent an email to jim at NSS to verify price and build time but I think I will go ahead and order the CBI from him.

I have personally shot a Shilen 223, and it shoots lights out.

I ordered a Criterion 6.5 creedmoor varmint contour barrel a couple months back and am waiting to get it. From what I read, they are shooters, but I won't know for sure until I get it out there myself....

Cheech give Chris at Benchmark Barrels a call. We just got done doing 6.5 Creedmoor barrels on a few rifles, and the savages are easy to do.

Is there any way to get a price list for Benchmark, as far as lengths and contours and options (fluting, threading for brake/can, pre-threaded & chambered for Savage, nitriding, etc.)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any way to get a price list for Benchmark, as far as lengths and contours and options (fluting, threading for brake/can, pre-threaded & chambered for Savage, nitriding, etc.)? </div></div>

I'd be interested also, bought a Model 10 action recently I want to build. I need my current barrel threaded for the brake I recently acquired also, left them a mssg. this morning and waiting to hear back. I think it's great Benchmark supports the "local" matches.

As I mentioned earlier I have Shilen and Criterion. The Criterion is much smoother inside. It hardly fouls. The only downside was I ordered my 223 1:7" twist in August. I took delivery in the last week of January. It does shoot bugholes though.

Through NSS, the Criterions are $280-$320 threaded, chambered, cut to length and crowned. They are the best bang for the buck.

To those who are interested in Benchmark Barrels, give Chris a call at 360-652-2594. THey are open from 8am til 5pm ish.... With an hour around noon for lunch. he will be able to qutoe you a time frame and a price. PM me with exactly what you want, and I will give him a call and ask him and shoot you back a PM as soon as I get a response.

i have mcgowen(223),shilen(308)and criterion (6.5creedmoor)the cbi is my latest so 55 rnds down the tube groups are .7 @ 100yds and 2.0@ 300yds with a stock savage trigger pulling 4.5lbs hoping to get those down after i replace the tigger with a rifle basix sav-2. all in all you cant go wrong with either shilen or cbi it was a coin toss for me when i placed my order to jimm at nss. the mcgowen shoots ok but i'm getting the throat legthened up so i can shoot 80 gr. pill in it .

I have a few mcgowens and they outshoot my shilens by a bit. They are all good and brux will do it and pacnor will do it to.

I have emailed Jim at NSS a few times with no reply? I don't have a phone over here so email is my only way to contact him. Anyone know if his email is still [email protected]?

That's the one downside to Jim...he is hit or miss via email.

My experience with him and email is that he'll get back to you, but it might take a week, possibly more.

You might try joining SavageShooters and PM'ing him there...that might double you up on getting a prompt reply.