• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Best East Coast Precision Rifle Classes

dtraub215

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2013
Hello all,

I have been searching for an accredited Precision Rifle Class that is located east of the Mississippi. The closer to Western North Carolina the better. I have a found a couple but am unsure of the quality of the instruction. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Academi,is first rate.I took Precision 1 and I definitely want to go back for part 2.Any of their courses are well worth it.I've been there at least 5 times for various courses.They probably have the best facility on the east coast as far as ranges.They also have on site lodging,gear rental and even armorers if your baby hiccups.Good Luck

Thats great thank you for the information. I had been looking at the Academi classes. I wonder how they would compare to Gunsite? It would be great if Gunsite would offer their precision rifle class at either the Tennessee or Indiana offsite locations. Are there any other top quality classes available east of the Mississippi?

If your referring to Boone County as the Indiana off site area, it's a Sheriffs office range. A nice one for sure but it's not set up for a precision rifle area per say. I've been there multiple occasions and I believe Ken Campbell is stil doing the classes there.

Honestly if you like Gunsite, go there. Otherwise look carefully, there's a lot of places and instructors east of the Mississippi.

I would check in with Mr. Ed Shell with Central Virginia Tactical. He's based out of Louisa, VA. He does 1-on-1 private instruction as well and can work with you to come up with a customized curriculum. He has access to property with ranges out to 1200+ yards.

I highly recommend him without reservation.

Last edited:
Academi,is first rate.I took Precision 1 and I definitely want to go back for part 2.Any of their courses are well worth it.I've been there at least 5 times for various courses.They probably have the best facility on the east coast as far as ranges.They also have on site lodging,gear rental and even armorers if your baby hiccups.Good Luck

I'm taking their Precision Rifle 1 class this Friday. The class filled up a month earlier. I'm only bringing a Remington 700 in .223 though :( My friend is renting a .308 there.

I'm taking their Precision Rifle 1 class this Friday. The class filled up a month earlier. I'm only bringing a Remington 700 in .223 though :( My friend is renting a .308 there.

you may have a better experience renting a .308 or borrowing a magnum caliber. the .223 is going to limit you at ranges +800 and really be affected by wind. inconsistencies may frustrate you and affect your learning

Im shooting some decent ammo Hornady 75 grain bthp. But you're right, I do expect to be limited to 800 yards or so. My friend got the last .308 rental rifle available. He brought 200 rounds of FGMM 168 SMKs which should 1000+ yards. I'll borrow his rifle as needed. Is it a good idea to bring some extra ammo?

Im taking Black Hats Initial/Intermediate Precision Rifle class the end of October. I know a few people that have taken it and thought it was excellent. I will take their Intermediate/Advanced class after this one.

I would check in with Mr. Ed Shell with Central Virginia Tactical. He's based out of Louisa, VA. He does 1-on-1 private instruction as well and can work with you to come up with a customized curriculum. He has access to property with ranges out to 1200+ yards.

I highly recommend him without reservation.

If you're in western NC, then you're a 3-4 hour drive from Ed Shell. He's fantastic, the range is challenging, and your training will be 1-on-1. I try to schedule a class with him at least every 6 months to keep my skills up. You cannot beat working with Ed Shell.

I have taken 4 precision courses at Academi (formerly Blackwater). Instruction and facilities are absolutely outstanding. All instructors have multiple deployments so instruction is "real deal"

Long Gun Training in NY is great! I have taken a few classes with LGT and have not been disappointed. The class sizes are limited to allow for a better Instructor-to-Student ratio. Curt takes the time to focus on fundamentals, and teaches the students how to come up with their own firing solutions, rather than just getting the them on target.

http://www.longguntraining.com/

Highly recommend it for anyone everyone, especially those in the North East.

Bit of a drive from NC but Peacemakernational.com in WVA has classes too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have taken 4 precision courses at Academi (formerly Blackwater). Instruction and facilities are absolutely outstanding. All instructors have multiple deployments so instruction is "real deal"

Too bad Academi doesn't offer open Precision courses any longer. The courses and facilities in Moyock looked great.

Long Gun Training in NY is great! I have taken a few classes with LGT and have not been disappointed. The class sizes are limited to allow for a better Instructor-to-Student ratio. Curt takes the time to focus on fundamentals, and teaches the students how to come up with their own firing solutions, rather than just getting the them on target.

http://www.longguntraining.com/

Highly recommend it for anyone everyone, especially those in the North East.

Raptor, I second your review of LGT. I just completed their PR101 class and would recommend it to anyone interested in learning the fundamentals of long range shooting. Sniper's Hide's own Frank Galli will be a guest instructor there for a 3 day class coming up in late July. Class is full, though. Curt, Chris, and the rest of the cadre are great!

I would also like to recommend Long Gun Training in New York. Curt and crew do a excellent job. I attend last years class with guest instructor Frank Galli and will be back again this year for Frank's class. When I last looked at the webpage there was still one slot open. Also staying at the Taylor Farms Bed & Breakfast is a great time where most stay at. At night after dinner sitting on the porch with Frank, Curt and the rest of the students was another great part of attending Long Gun Training.

I would also like to recommend Long Gun Training in New York. Curt and crew do a excellent job. I attend last years class with guest instructor Frank Galli and will be back again this year for Frank's class. When I last looked at the webpage there was still one slot open. Also staying at the Taylor Farms Bed & Breakfast is a great time where most stay at. At night after dinner sitting on the porch with Frank, Curt and the rest of the students was another great part of attending Long Gun Training.

x2. Great training and a fun time. I highly recommend this course.

I just complete PR101 at Long Gun Training - https://www.longguntraining.com/. The owner, Curt Drewel, is a former Marine sniper and does a fabulous job - good mix of classroom
and shooting. He is extremely knowledgeable and insists on the fundamentals of marksmanship but at the same time is civilian friendly (no drill sergeant stuff) and accommodates different skill levels and equipment. The course is given in western NY and starts at a fabulous bed and breakfast called Taylor Farms (on his website). I can't recommend Curt and the Taylors enough. I have a significant amount of handgun and tactical rifle training, compete in IDPA and 3 Gun and provide training classes myself - I can vouch for how outstanding Curt is as an instructor. I'll be back for PR102 and LR101.

I am so glad everyone is recommending Curt's class. I will be there at the end of July for the 3 day course with Frank. Hoping to actually meet some fellow Hiders

K&M Precision, hands down. It is very difficult, if not impossible, to differentiate schools, facilities, and instructors without having actually visited them. Shannon Kay, Mike Rogan, Bradley Allen, Jason Redding... a superb cadre of immense character. K&M has it all and I have seen shooters from a huge variety of backgrounds (experiential, cultural, walk of life...) excel because outstanding instruction and atmosphere. The facilities are also a little bit like a Disneyland for precision rifle shooters.

As an aside... Shannon, I will be back, and I swear to God I will respect the wildlife. Mike made me do it.

I have taken several on the East Coast and K&M Precision is in a class by itself. I took their 2-day course earlier this year. The facility and the instructors were all top notch and I left a much better shooter.

To those who posted the kind words about Long Gun Training Thank You.

Thoughts on precision and long range rifle training for prospective students

From an instructor’s point of view we get civilian students for short periods of time usually 2-3 days. Taking students through a beginner/intermediate course in this limited time, one can only concentrate and cover certain topics well. Firearms safety, range safety and marksmanship fundamentals should be benchmark goals.

From a civilian students point of view, look for schools and instructors that have a good reputation. There are many quality schools out there. A sign of good instructor cadre is the ability to instruct any topic several different ways. If a student is not understanding let’s say… “Natural point of aim”, can your instructor see or care the student is not understanding and try teaching the topic from a different style or format? If an instructor is a one trick pony just parroting what was in his last instruction, or reads civilians FM manual material, you may be in the wrong place?

Once you start looking for higher marksmanship skills matrix training, again class duration can limit what is covered and practiced well, especially within civilians. Look for limited topic/specific or “workshop” courses. What is many times over looked in advanced training is constantly explaining, reminding and plugging in the fundamentals of marksmanship into it. Learning you may not get ALL the fundamentals in a specific course of fire or shot, learn how to use the ones you can get and drive on best you can. To many times fundamentals are left in the dust past a basic course. Induce shooter stress and fundamentals circle the drain, from an instructor standpoint fun to watch but needs to be properly taught too students to overcome.

Anyone looking for advanced topic courses go look for the proper venue for the specific training. Are you going to go to the school only held on a square 1000 yard range for Unknown distance training? I would look elsewhere. If you are looking for competition training, look for the venues and schools located where they run competitions. There are several premier schools for this; I hear you may need to travel into Tennessee just sayin’. Look for training that teaches competitions are as much about your critical thinking skills as proper trigger press.

Look at a course duration vs curriculum, if it is packed with too many topics ask how can these be covered well. Starting out with firearms safety and ending with low light/night shoots on day one. Sounds cool but are you getting quality training or 2 days of fun range time? Ask what are the target packages in training? Are they carnival shoot type targets or well thought out training drill targets.

Here at Long Gun Training we sell a training experience and have expectations of our students to acquire course specific skill levels. Our students expect us to provide training that achieves this. We also tell our students to search out and seek training from others. We do offer names of other schools we hold in high regard. Will not list these here as to not insight a bovine fecal matter storm.

Last edited: