• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best EDC flashlight 2018

McNamara0851

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2014
I carried a streamlight Protac 2L for the last year. I lost it today while I was bedding calves. I’m surprisingly lost without it. Before I order another protac I’d like some recommendations for a edc light with adequate throw for Checking calves, and a low setting for working on equipment. Must be drop rated, water resistant, pocket sized, and 300 lumen min. Rechargeable or battery powered. $125 cap. What are you carrying?

I got this light for my ex (before she was my ex) and it's the two battery rechargeable Surefire light. I can't recall the model but it's 600 lumen and they have another exactly like it that's 1000 now. I'd get that. I was kinda jealous of it.

I fucked up and sold my single cell, was gonna get another.

I have an older Aviator, one of the first ones that had two settings, high and low. I still keep it by the bed. Batteries last forever and I like that it goes from low to high by pushing the cap, push harder and it clicks on low or high.

IMO, you should look for used LED Surefire lights. Almost impossible to destroy or fuck up, warranties, and it'll cost less. Unless you're gonna go with one of the new ones.

They also have all sorts of shit that's not normally listed. I'd call 'em and tell 'em what you need and they may know of something I've never heard of. They're constantly coming out with stuff.

Surefire is the way to go though.

Check out the olight S1R II. It is a great little rechargeable light and my current edc.

OlightM2R warrior. This one can recharge through the tailcap. I had one of the M2 without the recharge tail cap before this one. I want to go back to the non charge tail cap which has a much stronger magnet. The clip works to clip on my hat, magnet to stick it to things, really tons of light and 3 light settings. Enough that I can easily see the horses in the pasture 100yds away when on high. Takes 18650 batteries, I just swap batteries daily, I can probably go 3-4 days on a battery if needed. Buy NCR protected cells, don't buy cheap knock off 18650's

I have two LedLenser F1R's Liked the first one so well I bought another for my car. 1000 Lumens, compact, rechargeable, very well built. I like everything about it.

(Full disclosure: I'm a Fenix product ambassador.) I carry a Fenix PD25 (https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/pd25-fenix-flashlight/) daily in my pocket while at work and swear by it: it comes with a single rechargeable battery and it is both easy to use and versatile with lumens ranging from 5 to 550. I like it because it's tiny and with it clipped on the side of my pocket, due to the clip design, it can't be seen from outside. If you need more lumens, the PD32 would be a good choice as well but it will stick farther out of your pocket. I also like the PD35, finding it excellent for carrying it around on my daily walks (maybe a wise choice for ranching?) but it's a bit larger, still not so big to be cumbersome, but more than what I'd choose for a walking-around-town type of EDC. If you're interested in Fenix, send me a PM and I can get out a code for 30% off and free shipping, but it expires on Dec. 31. J

Not sure if you want to go this small but Surefire Titan Plus is pretty sweet and runs on 1 AAA. I would also recommend the Peacekeeper rechargeable but it doesn’t look like it’s still available.

Reactions: Monk Medic
EDCL1-T
Dual-Output Everyday Carry LED Flashlight

Hover on image to zoom
Enlarge

Price:
$165.00

Quantity:

Customer Reviews

Specifications
Output / Runtime -- White Light High500Lumens / 1.0 HourLow5Lumens / 45 HoursLength 4.5inBezel Diameter 1.125inWeight w/Batteries 3.3ouncesBatteries 1CR123A
*All performance claims tested to ANSI/NEMA FL1-2009 Standard.
Description
EDCL1-T
EDCL1-T084871326841

I've been running this Surefire since it came out. The switch is great. Light press and it is 5 lumens. Heavy press and it is 500. There is no click. Same with screwing the tailcap in for constant on. Little bit will get you 5 and screw it in a bit more to get 500. They also make a 2 battery light that is 5 lumens and 1500 lumens if you want/need that much. You can find them cheaper than the price listed above. Might be a touch above your cap, but I think it's worth it.

Reactions: Monk Medic
Fenix PD 35. I’m not a fenix ambassador and I can’t get you a discount code. Best edc light I’ve found

Coincidentally, I recently wrote a product review for the PD35 that they haven't published yet. It unintentionally ended up being a comparison/contrast of the PD25 vs. the PD35 for EDC. I basically said that the PD25 was my choice due to the convenience of its size, but the PD35 works great if you're more of an outdoors person (it will easily illuminate 100 yards out) and you don't mind a bit more bulk, which is more of a compliment to the design of the PD25 than a knock on the PD35. Over Thanksgiving I'm going to put my PD25 in a weapon mount and test it in the desert on my PCC... and I suspect it will stay in that mount, and I'lll be purchasing another PD25 to carry in my pocket. Here's the link for the PD35v2.0 which I would personally recommend over the TAC version (it has a different output selector/tailcap) but everyone had different opinions on that: https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/pd35-fenix-flashlight/ EDIT TO ADD: I just mounted my PD25 in preparation for my test. Attached is a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_4428.JPG
    IMG_4428.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
The wife and I both have Fenix PD25's. Use it for walking the dog at night here in AZ, lots of critters we need to be on the look out for in this part of the country.

I've had multiple flashlights, but love these for EDC. Small and compact, rechargable, multiple brightness settings, and the batteries last a while if not used on the brightest setting all the time.

I'll throw my vote in for PD25, I'm impressed with ours.

Here are two good options from Streamlight.
The ProTac 1L-1aa is what I carry all the time you can use one CR-123 for 350 lumens or one AA for around 150 lumens. Around $40 I think.

The ProTac 2L-X uses two CR-123 or a rechargeable 18650 that comes with it. It is 500 lumens. Around $50-60.

Both have dual clips that you can put it in your pocket and clip it to your hat which sure is handy.

Attachments

• A636DDC8-5FD2-4F5A-AE28-8B9F9A7BB5C9.jpeg
    A636DDC8-5FD2-4F5A-AE28-8B9F9A7BB5C9.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 61
While expensive, Surefire does actually have very good customer service.

I dropped my Surefire torch face down onto concrete and the front glass bezel cracked.
I have carried it for many years and it was well used.

I contacted Surefire about buying a replacement glass bezel & they gave me an RMA number to send it in to them after I provided the model & serial number. No other information requested.

I sent it in and about a month later it came back all fixed up perfectly & serviced.
No cost to me except shipping it to their center.

I was quite impressed.

The one I carry is the Fury model which uses 2 of the 123A batteries and is dual mode, low power and then max power (about 500 lumens).

I'm a lover of my Over Ready BOSS. Expensive, but rechargable 18350's and the ability to program it very easily yourself for your preferred UI is huge! I run my modes CLHM. Best light I've had to date!

Sorry didn't see the price cap. As others have said, go Olight then.

I carry a surefire edcl-2 and I like it. It’s a bit long, but still comfortable. I am eyeing the surefire tactician though. A little less output than the edc, but also a bit shorter too.

Streamlight polytac-x with the mini USB rechargable battery. Bright as hell, a dim setting and strobe. Has a metal clip which is nice, good price too.

I looked at these lights and more for a few hours the other day and just didn’t see anything that I liked, dollar for dollar, more than my old 2L. So, the new 2L-X was a no-brainer to me. I ordered one, because if nothing else, my old streamlight was tough as nails. It showed up last night and it looks and feels like a total piece of shit compared to my old 2L. The clip is a downgrade, the light has a blue tint to it, the tail cap isn’t as positive, it’s lighter (not in a good way), the threads feel like they have sand in them, the anodizing feels like cheap ass china junk, the LED itself isn’t centered in the housing, and to top it off, it doesn’t seem to be as bright or have the same throw as the 2L, despite being noticeably larger and rated for another 150 lumens. If it is a knockoff, it’s a dead ringer to the images on streamlights page. Back to the drawing board.

Attachments

• DD9CA610-2ED3-4F3D-8BEF-E909ADC6F776.jpeg
    DD9CA610-2ED3-4F3D-8BEF-E909ADC6F776.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 09F57844-60B1-45DA-9052-A540FE318013.jpeg
    09F57844-60B1-45DA-9052-A540FE318013.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 5FA3A6BF-8464-4B23-A475-B23FEF1C5215.jpeg
    5FA3A6BF-8464-4B23-A475-B23FEF1C5215.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 58419CDB-17D8-4F78-B2E8-B46963D49154.jpeg
    58419CDB-17D8-4F78-B2E8-B46963D49154.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 7E6E7A0C-DCF4-4588-A202-41904849B877.jpeg
    7E6E7A0C-DCF4-4588-A202-41904849B877.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 26
I'm thrilled to be helping out a bunch of Fenix fans, but I'm limited to the number of codes I can hand out per year and this thread is tapping me out. I can do a few more if folks are interested but will have to cap it pretty soon...

I’ve been carrying the Surefire Sidekick for the last 2-3 years on my key ring. It’s worked really well for me. It may be smaller than you are looking for but it’s a good light.

We farm. Chickens and Cattle. Streamlight LED rechagable Stinger. Hi-Med-Low. Great light. Keep charger in house and 12v in work truck

I carry an Eagletac t200c2 at work for the past 4 years to read gauges and what not and have had zero issues. Takes the rechargeable 18650 battery or 2 cr123's. I use the rechargeable and maybe charge it once every month and a half. Been dropped in a bilge a time or two in water and still works great. I think I paid ~$55 with a discount. Rated at 1277 lumen max with 3 brightness modes. Overall very happy for the price and will probably buy another Eagletac in the future. They offer a good selection of models.

I think I'm gonna have to cap the discount codes, sorry! I'm only allowed so many and apparantly there's a ton of Fenix fanboys on this site. Best, John

What the fuck is this, another Facebook pyramid scheme? Are you a stay at home mom? I appreciate the offer, but you’d have a better shot at selling me a gigantic strap on, than a flashlight that you get kickback for promoting.

Reactions: RTH1800
Heh. It’s a pretty good strap on sir.

That said, while the chinese lights got 100x better than they were, I won’t buy a chinese made flashlight. There is still a strong USA company standing in this game and i ensure they get my money every time.

Go surefire. You can get the 6 series LED lights for well within your budget.

I love my Fenix PD 32 w/ a 18650 rechargeable battery. Battery life is forever. I carry mine daily for work or just around the house it goes where I go and it has been very reliable. I have had mine for years now and have bought a backup and one for my wife as well.

I’m test driving my PD25 on my PCC as a weapon light will almost certainly leave it there. I’m debating getting a PD32 for EDC or picking up another PD25. If the PD32 had the same clip position as the PD25 it would be a no-brainer for me, but I’ll probably stick with the PD25 to keep it all consistent.

I don't think you can go wrong with Surefire. I've been using them since the very first, 60 Lumen 6P flashlight, and now have a collection. They may not have the latest cree led, or fudge their lumen ratings, but they are damned reliable. And, they have great customer service, should you ever need it.

Last year this time, I bought EDCL2-T's for myself and brother for Christmas. They didn't arrive until after, but it was worth the wait. Best, brightest EDC flashlight I have.

I'm not big on rechargeable batteries, as my experience in the past was that they drain over time and develop a set. I'm sure things have improved since I used one last, but they are best suited for being on the charger and pulled off for use. That said, the new Surefire Stiletto appears interesting and meets your criteria.

@Dthomas3523 ^ Chinese company plugging their products in a 2 year old thread without being a commercial supporter

Thank you, Maurygold. You beat me to it. I'm sure he'll be gone quick.

Check out Malkoff Devices. Top tier, American manufactured, quality flashlights that put many others to in shame. They even produce outstanding upgrades/conversions for Surefire products. Outstanding customer service, support and Lifetime Warranty.

Last edited:
Have been using ProTac 2L-X with 18650 for I think 3 (?) years now. Lost one, bought another. Very reliable, low and high beams both very useful. Pocket clip doubles as a hat brim clip, nice bonus.
ETA: Wut this thread is from 2018 LOL.

Last edited:
This thread was reopened by a idiot hawking cheap Chinese flashlights, against many rules on this site. He lasted only a few hours and his post was completely removed. Our moderators do a great job.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
I guess if we're going to resurrect this thread, I've always liked the OLIGHT brand. I've got a T20 from what could be 12 years ago and it still works great. Great brightness. Nothing to improve as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: deersniper
For handhelds I’ve been a big fan of o’lights and nitecores for quite some time. Now that surefire has incorprorated 18650 compatibility they are top of the list.
In my experience you can’t beat the cost and convenience of using 18650 batteries with the ability to resort to cr123 if you can’t recharge for some reason.
High quality cr123 batteries have a shelf life of around 10 years. I primarily rely on 18650 for flashlights/headlamps and keep a good stock of surefire cr123 batteries rotated through non 18650 compatible devices.