• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best EDC Pocket Knife?

I EDC my microtech socom elite in manual (since I’m in Cali) and I absolutely love it. Everything about it is solid and the 204p steel stays sharp forever. Quality is a notch above any of the similar priced benchmades I have. Thinking of buying another for color options.

I’ve carried a Kershaw blur with the s30v blade for the past 10 years. Really like that knife. It gets used and abused.

been looking at the ZT knives but don’t see what they offer over my current tried and true.

Next knife I get will probably be an OTF knife like a benchmade infidel or a microtech ultratech

I also carry a delica and have for many years.It is thin enough and light enough that I do not even know I'm wearing it until I need it.

I worked in a field for 33 years that required us to carry a pocket knife. I have gone to work with my mothers steak knife and from there to semi custom knives. Tried any different knives. Buck 112 (Sears got tired of me bring it back for a replacement) Spyderco (where I fell in love with the hole for assisted opening). Puma ( the release is not safe with my hand. Scared me bad a number of times). Leathermans ( too hard to open when new and tough on hands).
A gentleman's Gerber that I got a lot of criticism about. Box cutters and even folding box cutters both with standard and heavy duty blades. Tried a Benchmade Mini ACFK and loved it. Had the hole like spyderco with a fair steel. Tried all the different steels available for that model and even the full size. No failures to open accidentally. Sharpening was whole different trial and error. A skill one must learn if you carry a knife. Since retiring I switched to a shorter knife because my state restrictions (which I had accepted without verifying). The Benchmade Mini Griptilian with the Spyderco hole. The M4 steel is not the CPM PM M4 I had hoped for but is a a very good knife. I have ordered some CPM PM M4 steel and a blade smith and I are going to play with it and see if we can makes some replacement blades for some of my favorite knoves. Hope your search takes less time and trouble.

1. CRKT Homefront
  2. Boker Plus Urban Trapper
  3. Kizer Mini Sheepdog
  4. Spyderco Tenacious
  5. Benchmade 556 Mini Griptilian
  6. The James Brand Folsom
  7. Gerber Fastball
  8. Cold Steel Recon 1
These are the best kitchen knife of very best brands. I also used CRKT Homefront knife which is really Good work to cut the food and meat.

1. CRKT Homefront
  3. Kizer Mini Sheepdog
  4. Spyderco Tenacious
  7. Gerber Fastball
  8. Cold Steel Recon 1
These are the best kitchen knife of very best brands. I also used CRKT Homefront knife which is really Good work to cut the food and meat.

Yeah, you're DEFINITELY not a fake account/bot.

Reactions: JLTX
  1. CRKT Homefront
  3. Kizer Mini Sheepdog
  4. Spyderco Tenacious
  7. Gerber Fastball
  8. Cold Steel Recon 1

Weird, CRKT isn't a Japanese knife brand. Honest mistake I'm sure.

Southern Edges just loaded 2 pages of Hinderer Eklipse Bowies. Go get ‘EM!

In Texas, no size constraints (based on pants, hands, etc, favor a 3.5”), so I rotate an eclectic group based on comfortable ergos. PM2, Eklipse HS, Griptillian, XM18 Bowie, Protech SNG and Sebenza31. Have sold far more EDC knives than I currently keep.

Spyderco Para 3 lightweight.

I carried a Spyderco Delica/Endura for many years and had no real complaints. In the last couple of years I have upped my knife game a bit and will never go back to a lock back. Compression lock is a true one hand open and close. Plus you get better steel.

Benchmade Bugout is a very good choice also but I think they are just a bit overpriced for what they are. Axis lock is pretty slick.

Not a knife only but I love my leatherman Skeletol. Similar size to some of my knives but gives you some multitool functionality

Spyderco Para 3 lightweight.

I carried a Spyderco Delica/Endura for many years and had no real complaints. In the last couple of years I have upped my knife game a bit and will never go back to a lock back. Compression lock is a true one hand open and close. Plus you get better steel.

Benchmade Bugout is a very good choice also but I think they are just a bit overpriced for what they are. Axis lock is pretty slick.
How do you like the FRN grip on the LW vs the G10 on the standard?

I usually keep to USA and Japanese built knives from established companies. If you increase your budget some I would recommend you check out Hogue knives. The Deka and Microflip are both very good EDC knives. The EX series is nicely made with cool designs but prices creep up to the 200 dollar range.

For work - SOG Terminus XR ($50). Pretty good D2 tool steel, great XR lock (upgraded version of Benchmade Axis lock), and feels good in the hand.

For out and about - Benchmade Bugout 535 ($140). Love the S30V steel and is extremely lightweight, so much so I most often forget I have it on me.

SOG-Terminus-XR-Lock-OD-Green-G-10-SW-TM1022-BX-BHQ-99814-jr.webp

Benchmade-Bugout-AXIS-Lock-Ranger-Green-Gray-535GRY-1-BHQ-83828-jr-2.webp

Reactions: erslll
I have a Benchmade something or other, nothing fancy. It'll hold a razor sharp edge though, enough so I can do minor surgeries at home (removed an ingrown toenail the other day, it sliced right through a big toe nail like butter and fine enough to not fuck up or draw a drop of blood). It holds a decent edge while still being easy to sharpen.

I WISH Daniel Winkler made a damn folder... If he did, I'd be first in line. That field knife (WK Spike? They don't advertise it anymore, I think he only made so many for some SF unit or another) is by far the best knife I've ever owned. It holds a FINE edge, but is a motherfucker to sharpen, it skates a diamond stone like, well, trying to sharpen a diamond with a diamond stone. Strong enough to use as a pry bar still. Amazing. When they whacked Bin Laden, I wonder if they used one to pop the door open... I know they were carrying 'em.

I have no idea who makes a folder of similar pedigree, but wish I did. Benchmade is 154CM, Winkler uses (1089?). Whatever he uses, I heard much of the custom knife makers followed suit. Nobody, NOBODY, makes a better tool.

For now, that shitty little Benchmade is getting it done. FWIW, it was a $63 special at the PX...

I'd stay away from SOG. They used to make some decent stuff, was excited to stop by their factory store, disappointed after I did. I got a tomahawk for like $20 (it had a scratch or some shit) --totally worth it but not something I'd depend on. The multi tool I have that they made 25 years ago is way better than anything Gerber ever made though. And they fixed it for free after I abused the shit out of it in the army, even changing out the pliers after I cut into a live 110 and melted the cutter blades, damaged a few other tools beyond repair, so that's solid.

I worked in a field for 33 years that required us to carry a pocket knife. I have gone to work with my mothers steak knife and from there to semi custom knives. Tried any different knives. Buck 112 (Sears got tired of me bring it back for a replacement).

Yeah, Sears has that promise but really doesn't like it when you actually bring shit back... BTDT!

Reactions: Vaportrail22
Grasshopper although many knifes are good,the best knife is the one you always carry

Reactions: iceng
And the one that's sharp.

There's nothing more useless than a completely blunt knife.

i like benchmade axis lock knives. i like the grizzly ridge for edc because it will hold an edge longer, but it is more work to sharpen.
i also have a small kershaw for when i don't want something that big in my pocket.

the lea that bm allowed to use their equipment was required by law to destroy them.

How about a multi tool? The Leatherman Charge TTI with a pocket clip is very manageable in the pocket.

I’ve really gotten used to having a pair of pliers on me at all times.

Reactions: Morgan3
My XM 18 3.5 Spear Point Flipper (w/choil) Stone washed CPM 20CV Steel Blade, Blue/Black Monkey Edge Frag Scale and ceramic roller bearings in bronze cages. Sharpened on my Wick Edge Pro to hair witling edge. I freakin LOVE this blade.....

IMG_8658 (Edited).JPG

Last edited:
I have carried a ZT0350 with S30V blade for years with the DLC coated blade.
The only downside if it is one for those that have never used S30V is traditional sharpening stones wont touch it, you need to get yourself a set of diamond stones.
I also use belt powered sharpeners with great effect but i have broadheads made of S30V as well and dont like wasting a lot of time on such a basic task as sharpening.
1623987676645937249723.jpg

Last edited:
I have been using one of the CRKT m-16 series for about a decade now because of there locking system. After seing that SOG knife i might have to see about finding a new blade.

I don't understand the point of suggesting $300-$550 knives to the OP after he clearly is looking to spend under $100 or just a tad more for something ideal. Additionally, I wonder why no one asked him exactly what he means by EDC. The EDC needs for a farmhand are markedly different from those of a CPA. Most EDCs cut up Amazon boxes. I collect folders and follow the industry closely. I think a look at the Civivi Elementum would be worth the time. It was just recognized at Blade show. Not the most "slicey" blade geometry for cutting fruit up, etc, but an excellent quality knife steel in a useful length and profile. Buy it with G-10 scales for a good value, spend a bit more for one with brass or copper scales if you don't mind carrying a bit more wgt. I hope the OP has had his new knife for a while but sharing if others are looking too.

Reactions: Thin Man
The benchmade is good. Happily rocking the kershaw Norad currently. Cheap and ok. Needed to lightly bevel the cut out on the blade as it wasn't comfortable, plus I could see it ripping my pants at some point in the future.

I have a Kershaw Skyline I use a bunch. I like the blade profile and its not a big hit to my wallet if I lose it in a field from shooting prone or something. I like the benchmade mini griptillian too.

Reactions: iceng
For the last year, I've been carrying the Benchmade Mediator auto and mini Osborne. I can't decided which is my favorite.

Victorinox Recruit. Light, accy blades handy an cheap when you lose it. Keep Benchmade Mini Reflex, and older Puma Earl for special times

Since 2006 I've been carrying a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Folder. It as gone on multiple combat deployments and countless training exercises with me and has never let me down.

Just doing a cursory search on some US websites you can get them for just over $100.

They aren't a small pocket knife but they stay securely in the pocket with the supplied pocket clip. They also come with a nylon pouch for the belt or webbing.

I’ve had a few Benchmade knives over the years. First was a plain-ass griptilian that I’d still be using if it wasn’t lost, I loved that one. I replaced it with a griptilian with a G10 handle and cpm-20cv sheepsfoot blade.

I really like the better blade steel but it’s not a necessity. It stays sharp a little longer and has a little more resistance to corrosion but it’s more expensive. I’m not sure what griptilians are selling for now so they may be a tad more than your budget. It’s worth a little more for one of the edc standard bearers imo

Reactions: hlee
I’ve had a few Benchmade knives over the years. First was a plain-ass griptilian that I’d still be using if it wasn’t lost, I loved that one. I replaced it with a griptilian with a G10 handle and cpm-20cv sheepsfoot blade.

I really like the better blade steel but it’s not a necessity. It stays sharp a little longer and has a little more resistance to corrosion but it’s more expensive. I’m not sure what griptilians are selling for now so they may be a tad more than your budget. It’s worth a little more for one of the edc standard bearers imo
A grip or mini grip with a sheep’s foot blade would be a great EDC. Relatively inexpensive. Uber useful blade shape. Good steel. The best lock in the industry.

I ran a mini grip for a lot of years
Mine was 154 cm which is one of my favorite EDC steels.
Not a lot of bling but a tough steel.
That knife went through hell!

Now I carry a kershaw bare knuckle with 20 CV.
Stays sharp but a bit chippy.

I have a drawer full of pocket knives yet after all these years I'm still carrying a Kershaw 1570 in S30V.

Zero Tolerance makes some cool designs and are solid, but they will weigh down one side of your pants in a noticeable way compared to a Benchmade or Kershaw.

I use a Kershaw Leek as an EDC/work/whatever knife that I dont care about and it does the job. Also have a Benchmade Mini Griptilian that I like alot but im no knife expert. IMO getting your hands on whatever you’re looking at and seeing how it feels in your own hand is important.

I’m a big Kerahaw/ZeroTolerance fan, right now I’m carrying a ZT 0350 in M390 steel, but my all time go to has been the Kershaw Blur with the DLC coated blade, have had them both partially serrated and not at all. I beat the ever living crap of out ever Blur I have owned, used them in ways a knife should never be used and they just kept on ticking. Kershaw service is top notch too, I broke 1/2” off the tip, reshaped the blade and used it until the assisted opening spring broke, sent it back to have the spring replaced and they sent it back to me with a brand new blade…I didn’t even ask for them to look at it, they just did it free of charge.

Benchmade Bugout is what I’ve used for the last year or so. It’s a great EDC knife.