• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best factory ammo for AR10 Target AND Hunting?

metalfarm

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2017
6.5 CM. WIll get a lot of use in both applications. Rather not adjust my zero all the time.

Precision hunter?
Gold Medal Berger?

The ammo that allows you to put bullet exactly where you want it each time.

Reactions: metalfarm
What are you hunting?

That asked, we can’t tell you what will shoot best in your gun.

Reactions: metalfarm
Factory rifle or a home built?
Bbl length?
Gas system length?
Trigger?
Buffer weight?
Suppressed or unsuppressed?

130 AR Hybrid is going to be hard bullet to beat.

Reactions: shax2lex
Thin skinned medium game at close to moderate range? Buy a box of everything you can find locally. Leave any FMJ on the shelf. Shoot groups. Decide what shoots best. Buy a lot of that. Don't sweat bullet construction too much. Put them where they count...

Reactions: shax2lex
Hornady Precision Hunter has a good chance of shooting well, that's probably where I'd start.

Each barrel is somewhat different...you'll have to play around a little...that said...M118LR does better for me in shorter barrel semis (under 18") than 168 FGMM...

Barnes 127 LRX, Hornady Precision hunter, Federal premium 130 Berger AR hybrid all shoot well with needing to adjust zero in mine. I bought a box each of several different flavors to see how they shot. Still have a box of Hornady GMX 130’s to try.

Reactions: larryh128
Plain old Remington 150 core-lock, Hornady Black (168 amax) , Hornady 178 ELDX precision hunter all shot good out of my LMT. MOA or better, usually.

I use the core-lock for pig if I’m specifically hunting them as I tend to blast them while walking about in the farm. And I’ll fire a bunch of rounds until I see no more running animals.

However, the Hornady has way less POI deviation than the Remington in my particular weapon when I go from unsuppressed to suppressed.

As stated, you have to experiment to see what your toy prefers.

I’ve shot the Norma 130’s at deer and paper. I just switched to Hornady 140gr American Gunner. That’s what I plan to use for now shooting matches and hunting deer/pigs.

I would recommend:

- Federal Gold Medal 175gr Sierra Matchking
- Hornady TAP Precision 168gr BTHP
- Hornady TAP Precision 168gr A-Max
- Black Hills Gold 168gr Barnes TSX

For practice, look at the Prvi Partizan M80 .308. It's all NATO spec.

Good site for this stuff is Palmetto State Armory.

Thanks for posting the Terminal Assent, that looks interesting. I can speak up for Barnes LRX, I have shot 5 Alaskan moose with the 6.5 LRX 127gr.

Reactions: larryh128