• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best flip up sites for my LMT

snipe10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Colorado
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section but I thought I'd get more advice here where more guys own an LMT. I bought a LMT MWS 20 SS and topped it off with a Nightforce 3.5-15X50 and need to take off the factory sites and install some flip ups on.

Can anyone recommend what they use here? Thanks in advance.

The KAC micro 600m rear, and micro front are easily my favorite irons for any AR, but esp. on a high end precision AR where I can afford the extra cheese for them.

First and foremost, they are very reliable, and hold zero....and are very good out to indeed 600m (big plus for a MWS)

Secondly, they are incredibly small/light....and will fit under just about any modern AR mag. optic mount setup...ie. larue,adm, bobro mounts will clear easily with the nxs compacts, and the 3.5s.

Thirdly, KAC makes them, and if something goes wrong....no questions asked...they fix it. I can attest to this firsthand on a front micro that didn't have a strong engagement when up.

Other good options that I personally have time on..

Troy front and rear.
Magpul MBus....but specifically the new ones that ripped the KAC micros off. The org. MBus won't fit under many glass setups.
Old non micro KAC irons...numerous models, all are good for your application except the 300m rear models.

Hope that helps :)

I just picked my LMT up today and there are some KACs on the way.

After checking out the rifle I'm thinking the KAC offsets would be sweet. That was my original plan but I got a good deal on the regular micros.

KAC Buis are the lowest I know of. very good choice if you can swallow the price.
013.jpg

Kac's are great. I know back up sights are only for back up so why incorporate elevation on the rear when a BZO should be all you need but I didn't want anything that couldn't adjust for elevation at the rear.

Ive been waiting for a scope now close to a year for an LMT CQB and all I have been using is a set of the NSN numbered KAC 200-600 iron sights. They really are great.

On my MWS my scope mount requires tools to remove so I went with the 45 degree offsets. They have worked well when zeroing but haven't had much time playing with them.

I bought all my KAC sights off this forum, two sets were new in the box, and I realized a pretty good discount. You may have to hunt a bit but keep looking in the want to sell section and you will get a deal.

++ to the KAC micro, shot it from 0 to 600, great and precise sights. I like elevation and windage adjustment on the rear sight.

+ to the Troy folding rear, shot it from 0 to 600 also. A little better in CQ range due to the large/small aperture combo. Sold them because I like windage and elevation....

Usually the BUIrearS goes under my Fero Z24 (great old surplus 4x24 Hensoldt scope) as a kind of scout setup. It works alo well with an Aimpoint CompC3.

KAC Buis are the lowest I know of. very good choice if you can swallow the price.
013.jpg

KAC's are 0.475" tall when folded. Midwest Industries SPLP's are 0.4375" when folded, so KAC's are not the lowest, but the difference is notational and not enough to make a major difference.

However, there are many excellent BUIS available in today's market whether you choose KAC Micro's, MI SPLP's, PRI's, LWRC's Skirmish or Troy folders. They all work, and work well, and picking one over the other is just a matter personal preference, and bottom line cost.

Sorry to thread jack. Trident what do you use on your rifles for your pics? They always look like you never use them.

KAC is the way to go and I'm still hunting down a set as well with a fair price. LGS is crazy for what they are asking.

Iron sights can be zeroed at a certain distance, but for the other settings to work you need an specific distance between the front and rear sights, AND an specific distance from the rear sight to the eye. And of course your load trayectory must match the elevations built into the other settings.

Do manufacturers provide this information? Because otherwise it seems like a total waste to have anything other than a battle zero or perhaps a second one.

BCP, strictly for back-up. Going to go with the KAC Micros from all the comments. Man are these guns shooters, had her out two days ago and mine's a laser

Sorry to thread jack. Trident what do you use on your rifles for your pics? They always look like you never use them.

KAC is the way to go and I'm still hunting down a set as well with a fair price. LGS is crazy for what they are asking.

I'm probably going to end up with an extra rear if you are interested in it. I bought the rear then found the set the next day for a good price.

I'm curious what Trident puts on there as well.

I'm curious what Trident puts on there as well.

Just guessing, Frog Juice? Its like Frog Lube but comes in handier loads. Its all natural but has a high saline content so it can only be used on aluminum/coated guns like ARs.

OP you will like KAC. Keep an eye on the Accesories for Sale section as they come available quite frequently at some savings.

Some things to consider.....

Note the NSN model and micro model of the 200-600 vary slightly.

The NSN set uses a full size A2 knob on the rear for windage adjustment (obvious in the pics).

The front sight of the micro has "tool less" adjustment on the front sight post - this is very handy. The NSN is GI style requiring something pointy to push down the locking pin while rotating the sight.

The front sight posts are different. The NSN model has a square GI style front sight while the micro has a much thinner "pin" type front sight post. Consider this if you have a preference or expectation of what your sight picture will be.

The micro rear has a removable plastic insert to go from "Day/Long range" to "Night/CQB" aperature size. The NSN rear aperature is one size middle of the road. If you buy a used set of micros ask if the seller has the plastic insert. Many of the times I have seen the micros for sale the rear sight is pictured without the small aperature insert.

The 45 offset sights are built on the "Micro" characteristics should you decide on that. The 45 offsets have been functional for me at short range. I have a 5-25 PMII in a Spuhr mount on my LMT. Top rail backups are useless unless I do some wrenching first. For fun I have pulled up the 45s and been able to make hits. They would come in handy if I need more field of view than the scope would allow. The rifle is so heavy though there is only so much canted shooting you can do without a rest. If I was going on a hunting trip Id have my LMT removable sights somewhere in my luggage rather than rely totally on my scope and offset backups.

Last edited:
The micro rear has a removable plastic insert to go from "Day/Long range" to "Night/CQB" aperature size. The NSN rear aperature is one size middle of the road. If you buy a used set of micros ask if the seller has the plastic insert. Many of the times I have seen the micros for sale the rear sight is pictured without the small aperature insert.
I have micros on 2 different rifles and I did not know that.

I have micros on 2 different rifles and I did not know that.

I have two sets and both have them. Note both my micro sets are the 45 offset model maybe this feature is specific to that product. I dont know if there are different revisions of the micro sight. Id be surprised if KAC didnt have commonality of parts where possible on the micro and top rail mounted sights.

I dont like the idea of the plastic insert. For my uses I think the aperature on the NSN model is ideal and they should have went with that. I see the utility of the big aperature though in a close/fast fire situation, I just dont need to use them that way.

I also like the square NSN front sight postbut I guess with the size of the Micros necessary to make them micro a GI sight post wouldnt work. Either post works I point to 45 year old eyes for my preference. In any case both types of sight are easier than my M1903A1 sights.

Edit - Look at your rear sight if the aperature toward your eye is dished you have one similar to my NSN top rail mount. If the area around the aperature is flat and the diameter of the aperature is noticeably bigger than an A2 sight you may have the model that uses the plastic insert.

Last edited: