• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best Floor Plate Bottom Metal for Rem. 700 SA

ogonzalez13

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
Laredo, Texas
I was looking into building a new rifle in 243 but not really into having a detachable mag bottom metal. Wanted to get some opinions on the best floor plate bottom metal designs available for the Remington 700 Short Action. Let me be more clear. I want to build a 243 win. built on a Remington 700 Short Action. I just purchased a Bartlein 6mm 8 twist 5R #5 contour barrel blank here on the hide. I am looking into a Manners MCS-T for the stock. I want the rifle to be a medium weight hunting / target /comp rifle. I am thinking of having the barrel finished at 22"-24". I dont really anticipate the need for quick reloads hence the want of a floor plate model bottom metal. I want the best quality, fit, finish and durabilty one can buy. Thanks. What you say?

Re: Best Floor Plate Bottom Metal for Rem. 700 SA

gonzalez,

Whenever a post starts out "Best" and leaves out the "For What purpose" part, makes it difficult to make an intelligent recommendation.

Of course unintelligent recommendations are easy, but I'm not sure they will satisfy you.

For example: The "best" Rem 700 Floorplate for:

Hunting
Lightweight build
Ruggedness
Bang for the buck
tacti-Coolness
Ease of installation

Of course if your just looking builders of floor plates for a Rem 700:

Badger M4
Pacific Tool and Gauge
Williams Firearms
DD Ross
Sunny Hill
Dakota Arms
Remington Arms

BobinNC, thanks for the reply. I should hve been more clear. I want to build a 243 win. built on a Remington 700 Short Action. I just purchased a Bartlein 6mm 8 twist 5R #5 contour barrel blank here on the hide. I am looking into a Manners MCS-T for the stock. I want the rifle to be a medium weight hunting / target /comp rifle. I am thinking of having the barrel finished at 22"-24". I dont really anticipate the need for quick reloads hence the want of a floor plate model bottom metal. I want the best quality, fit, finish and durabilty one can buy. Thanks.

I agree with BobinNC, There are several good quality manufactures. DD Ross is known most for their USMC M40 Durability. Badger is also well known, for quality, as are Sunny Hill, PTG, and Dakota. I think it would be more important as to weather you wanted Steel, Stainless or Aluminum. Also what kind of finish you were looking at putting on it. Just some of my thoughts. Good Luck with your build.

ive just had experience with the williams. cant say anything bad about it.

Gonzalez,

I've used Williams and Sunny Hill in the past. Williams has excellent quality, at a good price, and all steel. Sunny Hill comes in fancy grades, and high prices, more suited to high $ wood stocked rifles, IMHO.

Badger Ordnance M4 is rugged and available, and comes in both steel and alloy versions. I've never used it myself, but I've never found a "bad" Badger product either.

Before you decide, call Manners and find out which BM they already have a program to inlet for. Why pick a brand that will complicate your inlet. Just a thought.

Tah<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Col Kurtz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with BobinNC, There are several good quality manufactures. DD Ross is known most for their USMC M40 Durability. Badger is also well known, for quality, as are Sunny Hill, PTG, and Dakota. I think it would be more important as to weather you wanted Steel, Stainless or Aluminum. Also what kind of finish you were looking at putting on it. Just some of my thoughts. Good Luck with your build.</div></div>

This is what is great about this forum. You ask a question and come away with more questions. I hadnt really though about what I would like in regards to the metal used. More than likely steel finished in cerakote or some sort of teflon finish would be nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gonzalez,

I've used Williams and Sunny Hill in the past. Williams has excellent quality, at a good price, and all steel. Sunny Hill comes in fancy grades, and high prices, more suited to high $ wood stocked rifles, IMHO.

Badger Ordnance M4 is rugged and available, and comes in both steel and alloy versions. I've never used it myself, but I've never found a "bad" Badger product either.

Before you decide, call Manners and find out which BM they already have a program to inlet for. Why pick a brand that will complicate your inlet. Just a thought.

</div></div>

I plan on calling Manners on Monday and placing an order. I just wanted to finalize this issue before I call or at the least narrow down some choices. Thanks.

Williams will drop right in and will work fine with the BDL inlet.

Badgers and DD Ross are bigger and wider, but I doubt you'll break or be let down witht he Williams

Off topic- and I apologize- but I've never understood why bottom metal costs what it does.

Let me be clear: I know this isn't the cheapest hobby. I'm no stranger to spending what some would balk at for high end gear. I know and appreciate the quality of the mentioned products. But ~$340 for an M4?! Almost $400 for a Sunny Hill?!

That's bloody rich when you think about it. I mean you've practically bought a McMillan! Why not an SPS?

Rant off.

I agree with the above comment.
Factory Bottom metal works for me, never had a malfunction in over 20 years.
Curt

I've used the PT&G aluminum bottom metal several times. Fits perfectly in a BDL inlet, looks great and functions fine.

John

Thanks for everyones thoughs on this subject. I think I got a pretty good deal yesterday on a New Badger M4 bottom metal for $200. I agree these trigger guards can be expensive, but if you shop around you can find some decent deals.

I'm working on almost the exact same rifle, except in .243 AI. I ordered a Manners TA last week with a standard BDL inlet, and I plan on using the PTG bottom metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm working on almost the exact same rifle, except in .243 AI. I ordered a Manners TA last week with a standard BDL inlet, and I plan on using the PTG bottom metal.</div></div>

What barrel you going with? Length, twist, contour, make, etc.

It's a Rock, 8 twist, varmint contour, finished at 26 inches.

I'm going to put it in an HS stock when it shows up. The Manners won't be here for a while.

I like the Badger products. But for BDL style bottom metal, I usually just go with the factory stuff. It's light, inexpensive, and it works well.