• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Best for long-range rig: 300WM vs 7MM RM

shootnfarmer

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2009
Looking for any opinions from guys familiar with both...

Advantages as far as cost to shoot, recoil, round feeding, ballistics to 1k, etc

Anything on your mind

Thanks everyone!

Re: Best for long-range rig: 300WM vs 300WSM

Of the two, the 300 Win Mag requires less reloading gymnastics (ie making rounds fit and feed in mags) than the 300 wsm.

However, I would also throw the 7mm rem mag. into the mix. A 7mm Rem shooting Berger 180 gr VLD @ 2900 FPS is very impressive, compared to a 210 Berger VLD @ 2900 from a 300 mag. Ballistics are similar between them, but the 7mm will recoil less.

Bob

If your not set on a 30cal, I would also look at the 7mmRM or the 7WSM. Both will do great with the 180 Berger.

I don't know where you shoot, but my 7mm/270 with the 180 Berger Hybrid outruns a 300 WM with 210's like it was built to do so (actually, that's exactly why the rifle was built).

The 7mm RM will shoot the 180s a good bit quicker than my 7mm, I'm getting 2925 from 180's with RL22, the RL17 shows up today, I'm expecting 3000 fps from it. Run a 210 VLD or 208 Amax at 3000fps against a 180 in 7mm at the same speed, it's not a fair game past 1000yd.

Your question is asking about a 300WM vs. a 300WSM, so I'll chime in on these 2. The WM will push a 208 or 210 bullet faster than a WSM. For long range, you will need these heavier bullets. So, the edge goes to the WM. But, a 7mm 180 VLD will provide better ballistics since it has a higher BC. BC is king when it comes to long range.

Jeez, what's up with changing your mind so fast on the calipers. Honestly, just pick a 308 Win and run with it. No offense ment, but if you have to ask, that's the answer. Learn to shoot the 308 to 1K, and by then you will know the answer to the 300WSM, 300 WM, 7WSM, 7RM, etc, etc, etc question. We're spliting hairs at this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeez, what's up with changing your mind so fast on the calipers. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Honestly, just pick a 308 Win and run with it. No offense ment, but if you have to ask, that's the answer. Learn to shoot the 308 to 1K, and by then you will know the answer to the 300WSM, 300 WM, 7WSM, 7RM, etc, etc, etc question. We're spliting hairs at this point.</span></span> </div></div>

Wise advice.

i thought thats what the whole idea of this forum was... to split hairs
smile.gif

Are ya'll seeing much difference in accuracy bewtween the wm/wsm or 7rm/7wsm? Does spacing on the shoulder for the wsm really helping that much vs the rim? I guess the short action may help a little too. What is the expected barrel life with the 300wsm vs 7wsm - any difference?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does spacing on the shoulder for the wsm really helping that much vs the rim?</div></div>

I see so much written about the evil belt on the WM (I'm assuming that's what you meant) that it makes me wonder if any of these naysayers actually used one.

I've been shooting WM's for years and unless somebody <span style="font-style: italic">told </span>me there was a belt issue, I'd be unaware of it. I only shoot about 1500 rds/yr. though. I have friends that are shooters also (not just hunters) that shoot a LOT of ammo per year. They have or have had WM's and had no problem.

I neck size and bump the shoulder with a body die (could do the same with a FL die, but I like the Lee Collet Die)to just chamber whenever needed, so I'm pretty sure I'm headspacing from the shoulder, not the belt, just like every other round out there. Now, if your chamber is at the high end of SAAMI and you do a true FL resize every time, I can see you getting into trouble.

I've got so many firings on my Nosler brass, I've really lost count, but it must be in the mid-teens by now. The Federal brass, which is supposed to be junk because it's too soft, have over ten and some rounds are just now showing signs of case head separation (probably accelerated by a new chamber and a full-FL size thrown in somewhere.

Over 10 firings.. I'm good with that.

I think if you are informed about what you're getting into and use good reloading techniques, the belt will cause you no worries.

Just my .02

John