• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best gas/piston for the money?

chevytruck_83

Student of the sport
Minuteman
May 3, 2013
I've been looking into a gas piston ar15 for quite some time now. Every time I think I made my mind up I find a bunch of complaints online. I have some high end direct impengment like jp precision ctr-02, built 6.5 creedmoor using all jp etc. So accuracy has to be good. I realize gas piston typically isn't as accurate. Id say 1-1 1/2 moa or It will just sit in the safe. Im looking for a gun that i can put a mid range magnification scope on and use holdovers for quick transitions at various distances with. Something I can buy decent bulk ammo for and get out shooting when i dont have time to reload. The guns that have my attention are pof puritan, sig saur 516 gen 2 and the Barrett rec 7. Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.

Primary Weapons Systems and be done with it. LWRC are nice too, but I prefer the long stroke of the Primary over the short stroke of the LWRC. I believe the PWS's are a bit lighter too. LWRC's are a bit heavy on the muzzle end.

I have a few LWRC 556, including the 2013 self regulating gas block and a new IC A5 10.5" SBR and they are all great shooting suppressed and unsuppressed. The SBR is way nicer shooting than my Colt 6933 11.5" DI SBR, and I love my colt too. I have an LRWC REPR that's my favorite bang steel suppressed gun. They are all accurate enough, though the REPR 16" could stand to be a little more accurate.
I have a PWS 7.62x39 upper, and it's great as well. PWS are great. My buddy has the sig 516 and 716DMR and they are excellent shooting. My only complaints are they are a bit heavier than the LWRC, and the Sig massive quad rails.
I have no experience with the Barrett, but I imagine they are great.
My brother has a Christensen Arms piston gun that is light and very accurate, and feels great shooting.
The LWRC aren't super light, at about 7 pounds, but they feel great and are very durable
HK MR556 is a good option, but again, a bit heavy and big clunky quad rails.

edit... SCAR 16 should get a mention.

lots of options, I'm sure you will be happy with whatever your choose... lots of good rifles mentioned in this thread.

Scott

REC 7 piston and Scar 16 are what i'd be looking at. I have a couple lwrc (one repr, two 5.56) and 2/3 were good the second 5.56 wouldn't operate straight from the box and got sent back twice before they remedied it. I'd avoid the POF or SIG.

I own the LWRC M6A2 SPR, SIG 516, POF 415, SCAR16S and the HK Mr 556 which is my favorite. I've never had any problems with my the SIG or POF.

I also own a 12" LMT. Haven't had it long but it seems to be an MOA rifle with match loads. I would be hard pressed to believe there is a stronger or more durable AR on the market.

Another LMT owner here. Had the rifle about seven years and it runs like a sewing machine. Shoots exceptionally well with both 16" and 12" barrels. The only negative thing I can say about it is she's a bit of a pig with the monolithic quad rail upper and heavier barrel contour but I don't mind that so much. You'll likely be pleased with any of the top quality makers

In terms of a budget piston you can't beat Adams Arms. You can snag one for around 550$ for a complete rifle.
That said, I've seen some Beretta ARX's go for 850$ which is a steal for what you're getting.

If you aren't too worried about your budget, definitely go with an lwrc or a scar.
Very cool guns.

LMT and HK are the only ones worth owning. Even then, Gas piston is a waste of money. Unless you are running very high round count, fast firing schedules, with under a 12.5" barrel (carbine length system) and a suppressor.........DI is always going to be superior.

Even then, the issues are Gas port erosion and back pressure issues. If you don't mind changing barrels after burning one up and you don't care about an over-gassed gun (that is fixed with a adj gas block anyway), then DI is king.

If the 16s is anything like my 17s I vote for a scar. Just a great reliable platform.

Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and say oh shit.....

Reactions: E-Tool
I have 2 LWRCs that I am very happy with owning. Not the most accurate ARs but reasonably priced and accurate enough. Very reliable in hot or cold environments. Very reliable in dusty and dry environments as well.

DMack made a little thread back in 2010 that went on for 10 pages of PWS torture over 15k+ rounds without a single failure IIRC.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...niper-s-hide-semi-auto-rifles/59321-pws-mk114

I own one of the original CSAT/Paul Howe (MK116) rifles and the only thing that I don't care for was the shiny CSAT logo on the side of the magwell but I redneck fixed that soon enough, the PWS rifles are the energizer bunny of the industry. Lots of other companies make great and very reliable rifles but it is hard to find another piston rig that has been run as hard by someone independent of the company and the industry, DMack is an LE instructor and AFAIK has never been associated with PWS.

+1 for PWS. I had the LWRC too, but found it a little front end heavy. I wouldn't go as far to say it was an issue, but I just preferred the PWS.

If youre in the LWRC price range, F&D makes the most accurate piston guns out there. It's not even a competition. They are on par with the best DI guns.

I've got several LWRC rifles and the IC rifle has performed very well. I did find out the hard way the SPR didn't like suppressors but the newer IC series has been flawless. It would be a toss up between the LWRC and the Scar 16

Just like others have already mentioned, the lwrc is a little front heavy, but my m6-ic spr has been tits for the time I've had it. The pof's I've shot were very nice too, but I do prefer the lwrc.

I went over 4600 rounds in my LWRC with out cleaning it. It has yet to have a failure to feed. It shoots little tiny groups. All customization was timmney trigger.

I have cleaned the barrel. Just have not touched anything else.

...just build a DI with a superlative AGB.

But if you really have to have piston cause you wanna navy seal it up in the bathtub, PWS makes the only proper one for the AR platform.

Another vote for PWS. I bought an mk116 based on Dmack's review and was so pleased with it I bought an mk216 to go with it. Both are solid moa guns with match ammo. Haven't loaded for them yet but I know they will get better.

The only AR pistons I have are the HK556MRA1 and a PWS .300 Blackout Mark109 SBR (9.75"). Both have been flawless in function and run pretty clean suppressed. IF the armadillos seem particularly frisky, I run an RMR on the BO rather than S&B short dot.

IMG_5120 copy.jpgIMG_4605copy1.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2896 copy.jpg
    DSCN2896 copy.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 131
Have :

POF P308 12.5" barrel and 16" barrel

HK MR556a1

PWS Diablo 7.75″ in 7.62x39mm

Sig Sauer 516 Patrol ( best gas piston AR for the money )

Ruger SR762 308 ( best gas piston AR for the money )

Last edited:
Have :

POF P308 12.5" barrel and 16" barrel

HK MR556a1

PWS Diablo 7.75″ in 7.62x39mm

Sig Sauer 516 Patrol ( best gas piston AR for the money )

Ruger SR762 308 ( best gas piston AR for the money )

You're obviously a gas/piston aficionado, curious as to which is your favorite.....

You're obviously a gas/piston aficionado, curious as to which is your favorite.....

Thanks !

For Gas/Piston ( performance ; function ) I believe is all :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Basically I'm looking to get a piston system or direct impingement system over all.. adam arms is pretty got on a budget but I'm not into the p3 spending... over the pof isn't bad but I'm lost on what to buy... spending is under a $ 1,000... plus looking into other options for suppressed shooting....

3.5 year old thread. Today, $1000 doesn’t get you anything that is currently in stock...

Reactions: SilentVapor631
I own a couple of piston guns. But if your budget is under $1000 there's only one answer - Sig 516 (if you can find one). Although I haven't put a ton of rounds through mine yet, so far it has been flawless (except a couple of failures to lock back during the first 100 rounds). Accuracy has also been surprisingly good.

And the last time I checked Optics Planet was offering them at $569 (with a 2-3 month wait for it to be shipped). At that price it's a no brainer.

Last edited:
Been shooting a faultless LWRC M6A3 for about 8 years, my 2 308 POFs have been solid, but the best piston guns I have are CZ Bren and my Galil Ace pistol- , both super smooth.

FN FNAR
16” or 20” barrel. Both shoot MOA and are reliable and tunable.
Still affordable.
Magazines are difficult to source, but I’ve bought 3 20 rounders lately for $100each
Browning Bar MK3 DBM magazines work fine.
I bought one from Midwest for $80 shipped, but now out of stock.
I waited till I found one that had a lot of magazines and the three stock adjustment doohickeys and 5 magazines for $1,400.
My 16” weight is 7 lb 10 oz naked.
Doug

Reactions: E-Tool