• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best grain 308 bullet for Accuracy International AT

Sniper101

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2019
I am new to shooting and would like to know from all the AI AT shooters what the best grain 308 bullet is for the AI AT for best performance?

Barrel is factory 1 in 12 twist.
I shoot mainly 600 yards

Thanks

if your not going to reload, get a few different boxes of match ammo from the big names starting out with federal gold medal match 175gr.

at 600 yards your not pushing the performance envelope of a 308

the difference in accuracy between bullet weights will be out done by finding a manufacturer that shoots best in your particular rifle.

With 1:12 you’ll have a better chance with something in the 160s but fgmm 175gn SMKs have always shot good for me. Like the other fella says get several different box’s and try them out. The fgmm 168gn SMKs are good too. Get what you can find at this point as there’s not much to choose from.

Reactions: Sidewinder66
What length barrel you shooting? If it’s there 20” I can tell you it goes transonic before you probably think. I’m running a Remington with a 20” barrel (1:10 twist) on it and depending on environmentals its going transonic with 168 grain Federal Gold Medal Match before 700 yards most days according to my kestrel.

Reactions: Sidewinder66
Hi,

Did you not ask the exact same thing in March and were given opinions from others?

Sincerely,
Theis

if your not going to reload, get a few different boxes of match ammo from the big names starting out with federal gold medal match 175gr.

at 600 yards your not pushing the performance envelope of a 308

the difference in accuracy between bullet weights will be out done by finding a manufacturer that shoots best in your particular rifle.

What yards is best for 308 you think? People say it dies down after 800 yards...?

What length barrel you shooting? If it’s there 20” I can tell you it goes transonic before you probably think. I’m running a Remington with a 20” barrel (1:10 twist) on it and depending on environmentals its going transonic with 168 grain Federal Gold Medal Match before 700 yards most days according to my kestrel.
26" barrel, standard factory

Hi,

Did you not ask the exact same thing in March and were given opinions from others?

Sincerely,
Theis
That was in regards to my Sako which is now sold. I found 168g was best for that rifle, wanted to know what people thought about AI AT...

Those people are confused..lol

I’d bet everyone on this site over 45 years old had their first hit at 1000 with a 308 prob shooting a 175gr match king.

Now there newer are better cartridges around as there have been for 30 years, and those shooters may have moved on as well.

But newer/better doesn’t mean the older stopped working. It didn’t get less accurate it just became not as accurate a new offering

That was in regards to my Sako which is now sold. I found 168g was best for that rifle, wanted to know what people thought about AI AT...

Negative, that post is clearly asking about an AI AT in both the title and the message.

I’m guessing you’re another shill account based on your screen name choice, grammar, and general stupidity.

The scamming business must be getting tough when you have to actually engage in conversation.

With my Savage 12FV, I cleaned (twice) a 400 to 1000 yard drill (two shots each) with Federal Sierra Match King BTHP 168 gr. I tried for 1200 but we couldn't find where it landed and at that point the bullet was <900 fps so it probably was just tumbling. Anyway, pretty much that bullet or the 175 gr if you can put the powder behind it.

Reactions: Sniper101
Negative, that post is clearly asking about an AI AT in both the title and the message.

I’m guessing you’re another shill account based on your screen name choice, grammar, and general stupidity.

The scamming business must be getting tough when you have to actually engage in conversation.
OK pal if that helps you sleep at night...

Probably the same dude sitting in a poop hut creating shill accounts while his sister finger bangs herself on webcam on the other side of the room with their goats watching through the window.
That was your mum actually, she was nice

God some people on snipershide are so arrogant. I am a new chooter asking some questions and people come down on me like a ton of bricks after a few typos. redneckbmxer24 clearly has something stuck up his behind, I offer to use his behind as a 100 yard target, small hole mind you, I can make it

Damn, the shill is having a whole mental breakdown after being called out. I must have struck a nerve with the poop hut and means of income comment.

I'd sure like to know where all this "expert" information on .308 ballistics comes from. I took a long range course about five years ago and was using my Savage 10-fcp-sr with 24" barrel. Using FGMM 168 I could hit the 1000 yd steel target as long as I did my part. I think ill stick with my .308.

God some people on snipershide are so arrogant. I am a new chooter asking some questions and people come down on me like a ton of bricks after a few typos. redneckbmxer24 clearly has something stuck up his behind, I offer to use his behind as a 100 yard target, small hole mind you, I can make it
Are you saying you wanna choot @redneckbmxer24 in his bottom?

• Haha
Reactions: Bender
OK Sniper 101, what did your AI AT cost you ?? It would seam to me that if I were going to spend $ 4000.00+ dollars on a rifle, I would already know everything there was to know about that weapon.

I've put a total of 1200rds through 2 different barrels on my AT so far.

Both of them shoot Hornady 168gr BTHP's great.

I settled on 43.5gr of Varget, CCI 200, and Winchester brass.

I took it out to 950yds with that load awhile ago and it did very well.

Why are half the people here still giving Achmed advice about his made up gun? LOL.

Hopefully mods dig into this account, probably a scammer building post counts.

loved the 150gr 100 - 600 yards had to love them for the cost 168 600- 1000 yards shot nice enough groups and the price while higher was not pinching my wallet too badly well a few months ago anyway and anything over a thousand yards I would like to try the 178's maybe the 180' but not fortunate enough to have had the oppertunity to try shooting further yet , but that is my pick maybe not yours . good luck deciding what your guns likes and what you can find .

The OP checks out (IP wise) as legit, but from (as someone already pointed out) the UK.

There may be a language difference as well as a cultural difference. IME our UK brethren tend to obsess over many small details, largely due to being limited to fewer firearms. The fewer you have, the more time you have to spend obsessing over them. That's not meant as a pejorative statement in any way. It’s just simply one of the realities of the different perspectives citizens from different countries have.

JMTCW...

Reactions: IW21 and Bender
This will work best with the slow twist. BTW, that’s not a dance we do here in America, it pertains to your barrel.

DBB017A0-0620-40C5-9A65-CD97D573BB79.jpeg

still odd to me.

I do kinda miss having a .308 around though. But theres just too many memes... the eternal struggle.