• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

F T/R Competition Best ground pad

Victor N TN

Retired civilian fart
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2002
Knoxville TN
Frank & Mods, this is a copy & paste from the rimfire forum. I think I asked it in the wrong place. If I created a problem I'm sorry. Either let me know what to do to correct it or you can do it yourself, just let me know.
Victor

Hey guys. For a while I used a club owned ground pad. For practice I have been using a "self inflating" back pack sleeping pad or air mattress. My air mattress on concrete / asphalt has developed some wear / scratches. At 5'9" and 190 pounds I'm not exactly light. And at 60+ years old I DO NEED some padding. The more padding the better. Well to an extent anyway.

My question for you competitors shooting 4 position on hard surfaces is this, What pad do you use and what would you recommend for an old f*rt with arthritis? I've seen on the internet pads priced between $29 and $250. Living on disability I can't lay out $250 for a pad. I would like to stay under $100 if I could.

So tell me. What do you use? And what would you rather use? And where would you get it? Do you have any links to where it is?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Re: Best ground pad

The Midway mats aren't bad (I have a couple) but still a bit thin. Take a look at the mats from Creedmoor Sports... fair bit heavier, but more durable and about twice as thick. Be careful if you get the black rubber pads on it, though... the ones on mine get hot enough in the sun to dang near cause burns. Get the grey pebbled finish rubber instead if you can.

Another vote for the Creedmore mats. They cost a tad more, but you will never regret it. I also learned the hard way to get gray or white rubber pads. If you live anywhere with temps above the 70s or so and sunny, they will save your elbows from being charred.

I've bought a lot of stuff from these people and their brand of equipment has always been better than the price indicated. It has everything I think I need. Right now we're shooting in the indoor range. But most of our firing points have shed roofs. The big range where the high power & F Class is fired is an open field with a line of markers. I can always cover it in the heat. I ordered it this afternoon.

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-CC_GRAY_RIFLEMAN_SHOOTING_MAT__DOUBLE_-1010.aspx

Pick up a rubber exercise pad to go under your shooting mat. There available at any exercise store and probably wal-mart. There waterproof and relatively inexpensive. They will add some weight to your gear, but for the range, they are useful.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Jared