• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best groups on cold bore

Boydo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Washington, IL
I have a Remington 700 that was trued/chambered by a smith who is no longer in business. It sits in a manners t2a with gen 2 mini chassis. It is a rock creek m24 contour, 1-11.25 twist chambered in 308. No matter what ammo I shoot, factory gold medal match or my reloads, my first 5 shot group on a cold bore is always the tightest. Usually almost all 5 rounds are touching in one ragged hole. Problem is, after that, the rifle opens up as it warms up. When it opens up, the 5 shot groups grow to a max of about .75-1.00 inch. They grow gradually as the barrel warms. If I wait 30 minutes or so the 5 shot groups tightens back up, but then grows as I keep shooting again. Can anyone relate with a similar experience or give insight into what may be causing this? I have heard of guns grouping tighter as they warm, not the opposite as I am experiencing.

I'm assuming you don't have this issue with other guns and its not just a mental thing? Has anyone else shot this gun with similar results? That's a pretty thick contour so I wouldn't think a few rounds would heat it up that drastically but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be by soon.