• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best gunsmiths around ohio

Deercannon

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
Anyone here from around ohio? I'm wanting to rebarrel and true my 700 action to something a little more suitable for long range. Anyone have good experiences with gunsmiths in the area I'm willing to drive a couple hours for someone who knows what they are doing. Thanks all!

What part of Ohio? I know a few and you have not been given bad info from the previous posters for certain.

I've had SAC build a rifle from the ground up and had barrel work done by The Dresden Gun Company. I have zero complaints about either, though you'll spend less $$$ and have a faster turn with Dresden. No experience with Area419 other than MB's, but only hear good things.

Dresdens for sure. Adam is a top notch guy and charges MUCH LESS for his services. He’s done 3 barrels for me now and I don’t plan on going to anyone else.

Where is dresdens? And how have your barrels performed? Also what rifles have you had him rebarrel? Thanks for the reply

Where is dresdens? And how have your barrels performed? Also what rifles have you had him rebarrel? Thanks for the reply
THE DRESDEN GUN COMPANY LTD
9710 DRESDEN RD, DRESDEN, OH 43821
(740) 565-3004
I have MPA in 6.5 cm, .243 win, and in .25 CM. He’s done all the barrels. They are amazing. He will send you a video of your run out when it’s in the lathe. Seriously a lot more affordable. Those other places are extremely capable but in my opinion their prices are insane.

I'm from Southeastern Ohio in the Hocking hills, Dresden doesn't seem too far for me, also what areas are sac and area 419? Are they worth the extra$$ or would dresdens be just as high quality?

SAC is SW on Cleveland a little ways. 419 is toledo area/northern OH.

I am FLOORED that nobody has mentioned Kelbly’s just south of Akron.

They are literally one of the most perfect machine shops in the firearms industry, right there with the likes of Borden and Warner in terms of ability and pedigree.

Kelbys website doesn't mention anything about gunsmithing services, seems like they build and sell their own rifles, I may have to call and see what they can do for my 700

+1 for Dresden. Adam is a character but does top notch work with very reasonable prices.

Obviously you’ll never go wrong with any of the others mentioned here either.

I am FLOORED that nobody has mentioned Kelbly’s just south of Akron.

They are literally one of the most perfect machine shops in the firearms industry, right there with the likes of Borden and Warner in terms of ability and pedigree.

I 100% agree with you that Kelbly's is amazing! They would always be my first choice. Most of my rifles are Kelbly's. However, I don't think they do a lot of individual gunsmith work. I would call and ask. If they will do the work, it's a no-brainer. Take it there.

Reactions: Lionsbreath
Another vote for Adam Bentley at Dresden’s. Stand up dude and everything he does is all that you could ever want and more

Never had Adam work on any of my stuff but some of the guys I shoot with have had guns built by him and he does good work plus he's a great guy.

Reactions: Estes640
Thanks everyone I'm going to get ahold of dresdens it's the closest to me and it seems like everyone has had good experiences with them

Another nod for Dresden’s.

I’ve known Adam a long time (since one of his active duty tours) and he’s good peeps. Lol! Still find it odd sometimes to think of him having his own gunsmith business, but have seen his work; good stuff. Probably too many memories of chasing/calling in coyotes on Camp Pendleton using sub-caliber rifles (.20 Tactical for me, and Adam favored a 20-221 variant).

Because of this sub-caliber background, Adam understands the “attention to detail” required for precision rifles. Sub-caliber rounds have little room for error before bad stuff happens quick (both from a reloading as well as rifle building perspective).

Last edited:
So we are very very fortunate to live in northern Ohio.,

Tom Sarver of Thundervalley has and does build rifles that hold world records at 1000 yards
Kelbleys has built numerous world records rifles in F class and is now moving way into the tactical/prs range.
Short Action has built two rifles for me. My first I waited 4.5 months and almost come unglued when I got the rifle and it was not thread at the end. Mark then unscrewed the Thread protector. Honestly, you could not see it. They build world-class stuff for some of the best PRS shooters in the area.

I have never directly dealt with 419 other than with their brakes, and they are outstanding.

Adam Bentley, I have just started hearing about. My friend has a gun made by him that is a freaking laser.

You really can't go wrong with any of the above. Remember if the gunsmith is not backed up at least 2 months, that should be a warning. Talk to each one and see which you like the best. You really can't go wrong with any of the above builders.

Mark @ SHORT ACTION CUSTOMS (SAC) gets my vote.

Bringing back an old thread... Is Dresden's / Adam still around? Only phone # I can find online is out of service. If you have POC info it would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

Ohio has one of the best in the country.

Greg Walley
Abraxas LLC

Dresden is closer to me, sorry to hear about Adam, probably would have done some business there.

Greg Walley, I had a short delay turning up any info on him. A post on Rimfire Central listed the info below.

Greg Walley
Abraxas LLC
(614) 580-5002
[email protected]

Reactions: RampedRaptor
Dresden is closer to me, sorry to hear about Adam, probably would have done some business there.

Greg Walley, I had a short delay turning up any info on him. A post on Rimfire Central listed the info below.

Greg Walley
Abraxas LLC
(614) 580-5002
[email protected]
No disregard to Adam but comparing the two are along the lines of talking apples to oranges. Mr. Walley chambers barrels for some of the best in competition. Prior smith at kelblys.

Don't forget Keller in Bradford, probably the most experienced one in the state and has always done excellent work for me.

Address: 147 N Miami Ave, Bradford, OH 45308
Phone: (937) 448-2424