• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Best gunsmith's scool?

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
Ide like to see myself going to school with aspirations of becomeing a full-time gunsmith once I get out of the service, and have the GI Bill at my disposal, which gives me the oppertunity to go to school anywhere to become a smith...It 'aint law school, lol. Maybe work for a tactical rifle producer or a big name company like Rem. or Smith n' Wesson.

Ive already got the admin/logistical side down as much as anyone could wish to have it... (see signature)

So where would you go? Where have you gone?

Re: Best gunsmith's scool?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moondawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I can tell you is don't consider Colorado School of Trades!!! </div></div>

You don't want the competition?
wink.gif

I have had a great experience here in Troy, NC at Montgomery Community College. Its a 2 year certificate or degree program. Unlike most 2 year programs, there are 3 semesters. Fall, Spring and Summer semesters, so you're actually getting more hands on time than a traditional college. MCC has a full time day course and a weekend course. Currently MCC is planning on adding a night time gunsmithing class.

MCC has 3 full time instructors. All have years of real world experience. The 3 full time instructors have vast knowledge from custom 1911 building, custom stock making, precision rifle building and a real world knowledge of the AR system.

In addition to the schools curriculum, the NRA and Brownells sends out instructors to teach spray on finishing, knife making, precision AR's and other classes like that.

Every year we also attend the SHOT Show and spend 4 days in Las Vegas or Orlando.

Here is how the program works out.

Fall semester is all about machining. You will have 16 weeks to complete a syllabus of gunsmithing tools that will be very important in the rest of the program. You have access to very nice newer Acra lathes, milling machines, a CNC Milling machine, surface grinders, and all kinds of bench tools.

The Spring semester is custom rifle making. You learn how to barrel actions, blueprint actions and we start with 2 piece stock making. Most people make custom 2 piece stocks out of blocks of walnut for shotguns and rifles.

The summer semester is about learning reloading, basic firearms repair and do presentations on different handguns.

The Fall semester of the second year is all about 1 piece stock making and custom 1911 handgun building. The great thing about the program, the school has a very large selection of specialty tools. Especially for the 1911.

The Spring semester, students learn the proper way to bed rifles and complete semi inletted stocks. In addition, you also do advanced repairs and presentations on different rifles. The school also has dozens of different rifles and handguns in stock. Also, they have cut away models that really show how different firearms function.

The final and last semester (currently my last semester at MCC) is about firearms finishing. We are learning rust blueing, salt blueing, and parkerizing. I will say there is definitely an art about refinishing. The main instructor Wayne Bernauer is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to refinishing.

Looking back, Going to MCC was the best choice for me as far as gunsmithing schools go. There have been many job openings available to me because of my education at the school. I had a job opportunity working for Gordy Gritters out in Iowa and a few others. Companies like Bushmaster Customs, Blackwater and Remington have hired and are hiring students from our school.

So I guess I'm a little partial to MCC's gunsmithing program. It has treated me very well and has opened many doors in the firearms industry. In my opinion it was the best school for me out there.

Thanks Handgunner.

Seems like an excellent full coverage course.

If nothing else, Ide really love to learn how to acurize bolt rifles..Blueprint actions, pin lugs, chase threads, bush bolts...chamber/instal barrels, thread and recrown muzzles. Bed actions..ect.

I heard about how there are two differnt ways to do things; the old school, slow tedious...but right way.
And the new school sloppy yet fast way.

I like the idea of being one of those guyswho build rifles people get put on a waiting list for....lol, not that that sort of prestiege comes overnight.

MCC in troy...noted.

Tuition is roughly $600 a semester. You can start at any time through the program and you can just pick and choose what semesters you want to attend.

When you barrel actions and do that work, I did 6 different rifles. Some other places make you do a specific action or what not and only let you do a certain amount. The great thing about MCC is if you have the potential, the skys the limit. They teach you as much as you can learn.

They also have a great gunsmith society that you can join. They discuss how to make the program better, which tools need to be replace and what new tools and concepts we should embrace. They are not stuck in the same old routine pushing students through. With the addition of the last gunsmith instructor, a great deal of new techniques have been added to our program.

If you're in the Jacksonville area there are a few MCC graduates working at Bushmaster Customs. Look up Former Marine Master Gunnery Sgt Bill Corely there. He graduated from the program last year and is doing great work up at BMC.

Or you can just drive on down and take a tour of the place. We would be more than happy to show you around and answer any questions.

If you need a contact phone number and want to speak on the phone, give Len Fagan a call at 910 576 6222 ext. 522. He can answer all questions about the school.

Mark

+1 for Trinidad. I took a action blueprinting class there this summer. They have a nice set-up and plus you get to pick Speedy's brain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rudyard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trinidad Jr College in Colorado. You can hang out with Speedy</div></div>

Speedy is a champion and knows what it takes to make it all happen.....and got some superb wind doping skills.....

Yavapai covers just about everything you'd want to learn in two years.
You have to be driven and eager to learn, or you will fail out.
Failure rate here is about 70%