• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best Hand held and Balistic Software for <$200

mram10

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
Idaho
Technology and prices change so quickly I wanted to get your take on the best pda and balistic software.

Which PDA and software are you using?

Also, what handheld weather stations are you guys using?

Thanks.

Re: Best Hand held and Balistic Software for <$200

not sure what other phones it works with but i just picked up a program called "shooter" for my android phone for $9.99 [it has all of b. litz's bullet data built in] which is crazy when you think i paid $300 for great horus software a few years ago burned to an sd card for my hp pda. the shooter program works very well, it automatically calculates density altitude by using the phone gps & the closet weather station data. i've compared it with my horus software several times and it's been very accurate. the only potential downside is cell phone signal coverage and cell phone battery life, but so far no problems with either.

Mmmmmmmm the software can easily be had for under $200, its more along the lines of how much you will pay for the PDA/iphone/android/laptop

If you already have the hardware, thats fine.

Cheapest option would be if you have an iPhone or Android phone the software is a few dollars.
If not that, maybe a second hand PDA or notebook with software.
Horus sells brand new packages for $500
Then you have your ruggedised PDAs like nomad/recon which fetch alot more.

Kestrel will soon bring out a weather meter with ballistics software but that will cost more than $500 im guessing

Androids/iPhone run too much a month once the data service is added. If you already have one, why not, but its not a handheld/software option for under $200 by any means if you don't.

A used Palm Zire with Pocket Sharpshooter's Friend (free internet download) is a under %50 option that if you use station pressure is as accurate as the high dollar programs (I run it on a Palm Centro).

Or my personal favorite these days-plug field confirmed dope into JBM, then print tables for varying density altitudes and use a kestrel. I have -2000 to 12500 DA hanging on the side of my rifles......

If you have an android phone, shooter for the win.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ballistic FTE for iPhone</div></div> For the under $200 option of this, 8GB iPod Touch ($170-$180) and Ballistic FTE ($20). Right at your upper threshold but inside your budget.

Anyone using Bulletflight on the iPhone? its $30 and I believe Knights Armament uses it and sells a rail mount for the Iphone too.

When you print your tables, what do you do with barometric pressure?

Soberbiker,
I like that idea! I know the altitudes I am hunting so it wouldn't take much to figure out what density altitudes would apply.
Any idea which hand held weather stations read density altitude?

The Kestrel 4000 and above calculate density altitude. But you don't need one to use DA. If you know the temperature and the barometric pressure, which any handheld weather station, as well as watches like the Casio Pathfinders and others will give you, you can use the charts in this article to get the density altitude:

Manual Calculation of Density Altitude

Rail mounting an iphone seems like a bad idea. Why dont you just print out range cards for each rifle and take known data?