• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best handgun for a corrosive enviornment?

Re: Best handgun for a corrosive enviornment?

Like stated, Glock would be good & also the Sig P220 combat or P226 combat. The combat line is coated and annodized for corrosion protection.

For a pistol any of the above. Rifle AK or for a lil close range either the marine coat mossberg or remington. Personal op its good to have options. With a boat a target maybe 25 feet away to a couple hundred yards. Also rifle wise check the Savage weather warrior packages out.

A stainless Ruger GP-100 or S&W 686 w/4" barrel would also work, though a used Glock would be cheaper.

A Glock would be a good option. If he is not carrying it in a holster (on him), have him put it in a water tight container to further avoid rust/corrosion problems.

Glock. The other guns that people have referenced would also be good choices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MG-70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A stainless Ruger GP-100 or S&W 686 w/4" barrel would also work, though a used Glock would be cheaper. </div></div>
Stainless would be a bad idea unless covered with Duracoat/ceracoat or anything but bare stainless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MG-70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A stainless Ruger GP-100 or S&W 686 w/4" barrel would also work, though a used Glock would be cheaper. </div></div>
Stainless would be a bad idea unless covered with Duracoat/ceracoat or anything but bare stainless. </div></div>

Why? stainless is pretty corrosion resistant... At least I've never had one rust in any way even when subjected to rain, sweat, snow etc etc... Not arguing, just trying to learn something...

Stainless will corrode and when it does get pitted the metel is shot. It does not matter what metel it all will rust. I have seen people brag about how they purchased stainless so they wouldn't have to worry about rust then I remove the stock and show them the damage and they look at you in shock because they didn't clean what they thought didn't need it. Stainless is great but if its used on a saltwater boat then it needs a good protective coating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chadwick122689</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MG-70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A stainless Ruger GP-100 or S&W 686 w/4" barrel would also work, though a used Glock would be cheaper. </div></div>
Stainless would be a bad idea unless covered with Duracoat/ceracoat or anything but bare stainless. </div></div>

Why? stainless is pretty corrosion resistant... At least I've never had one rust in any way even when subjected to rain, sweat, snow etc etc... Not arguing, just trying to learn something... </div></div>

Stainless can rust if left to the elements. Ive seen stainless handrails on a boat corrode just as fast as anything else. Salt water has its evil ways.

I know I said it earlier, but USP or HK45. There is a reason that they are used by quite a few maritime operators.....

Glock is fine. Remember that Sig 226 is the standard issued for Navy SEALs. HK Mk 23 is also an option, but it gets too expensive. But then again, you can always use it as an anchor, if needed. LOL.

Another vote for Glock. I have owned several Sigs, have more than one friend who used to swear by them, too. They are good guns, very accurate- and prima donnas. I say that because all of them I have seen(other than the coated ones) were very quick to rust if you slacked on the maintenance. They are fine guns, but don't go locking one in a cabinet on a boat and forget about it until you need it.

Not a huge Glock fan, but I'd have to say that would likely be the most suitable pistol for his use. If he wants a revolver, I will second the above recommendation of a Ruger GP100. Of all the grades of stainless used in firearms, I have been the most impressed with Ruger. My Smith 686 was always getting little "freckles" of rust when I lived in Florida. My GP100, Super Redhawk, Bearcat, P90, P91, Vaqueros, and various rifles never had this problem, despite carrying some of them on my boat.

No matter what your dad decides on, a couple layers of a quality carnauba wax will keep the exterior in pristine condition (no moisture or oxygen in contact with the metal = no corrosion). Flitz makes a great gun wax or you can use any good automotive carnauba...just make sure it isn't a "cleaner" or "polishing" wax. That means there are abrasives in it.

Or you could use a HiPoint. They're gawdawful heavy and the slide is made of zinc, so it can double as a sacrificial anode and an anchor.

i agree with the hipoint.... because it cheap enough to replace every 2 weeks....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock. Abuse it all you want. </div></div>
Until it rusts so bad it explodes. People who abuse guns shouldn't own guns, same goes for kids. Take care of it and it will work out ok but never abuse anything
smile.gif

Best handgun for a corrosive environment?

Is the HK you can borrow from somebody your not crazy about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBoss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HK USP or HK45. Research done. </div></div>

agreed, check out the testing info on these, insane.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdShotKill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBoss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HK USP or HK45. Research done. </div></div>

agreed, check out the testing info on these, insane. </div></div>
If you have the budget for the HK you will not be let down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chadwick122689</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MG-70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A stainless Ruger GP-100 or S&W 686 w/4" barrel would also work, though a used Glock would be cheaper. </div></div>

</div></div>

Stainless can rust if left to the elements. Ive seen stainless handrails on a boat corrode just as fast as anything else. Salt water has its evil ways. </div></div>

Well as a midwesterner, I play in fresh water... Now that you mention it I guess sweating on a gun once in a while is nothing like constant sprays of salt water... Thanks for the clarification!