• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best hands down long range rifle in .308

My Sig 3000 is extremely accurate with a great trigger. Walmart had them on sale for $999. I do not think you can do better

Hey everyone thank you for all of your replys! I will be going with a remington 700 sps tactical..and instead of 1000 yards I'd say 600-800 is more reasonable.

Not a bad choice to start with. An even smarter choice is to scale back your distance expectations. This stuff is exponentially harder beyond 300 yards.

PS the plural of reply is replies.

"The best .308" will be the one YOU shoot the best. Too many variables for others to decide what will work for you.

Hey everyone thank you for all of your replies! I will be going with a remington 700 sps tactical..and instead of 1000 yards I'd say 600-800 is more reasonable.

The SPS is a solid choice. I own one. I have enjoyed it very much. It has good accuracy, durability and barrel life and availability of aftermarket parts and upgrades. I am pleased that you are realistic about the distances that you will be able to consistently perform at with this platform. Factory ammo that has performed well in mine are FGMM 175gr, AMax 178gr and amazingly enough on the low low end Priv Part 168gr (Priv Part does not perform well enough to use past 300M). Enjoy.

The SPS is a solid choice. I own one. I have enjoyed it very much. It has good accuracy, durability and barrel life and availability of aftermarket parts and upgrades. I am pleased that you are realistic about the distances that you will be able to consistently perform at with this platform. Factory ammo that has performed well in mine are FGMM 175gr, AMax 178gr and amazingly enough on the low low end Priv Part 168gr (Priv Part does not perform well enough to use past 300M). Enjoy.

Thanks man!

I believe that there is more than one arbitrary point to your original question. Fine, one needs to be arbitrary at some point or another, but I would simply suggest that by putting a $1k limit, you have priced yourself out of the better affordable choices (as opposed to a custom rifle).

Put that price limit on hold and start looking for a Savage 12FT/R .308. With some diligence, you should be able to find a new one for not too much over that $1k. A used one should be under that $1k, and might actually be better, especially if it comes along with reliable handloading data.

Obviously, you're not done there, with optics and a reliable bipod still outstanding, but this would be a quite good start.

Greg

Last edited:
Right, but it's also a legit question for guys who join the forum in an attempt to learn.

Average scenario: Guy decides he wants to get involved in LR/ELR shooting. He does some searches which inevitably lead to SH links, so he joins the forum and may or may not continue his searches before he decides, "screw it, I'll jump in and ask my question". Because we've given the same stale answers to the same stale questions time and time again we get funny about it and fuck around. To the OP, he has no idea why everyone is breaking his balls because he hasn't been here long enough to have seen the same 10 threads over and over ad nauseum.

Sorry, my fucking sensitive chick harmones must be out of whack. I probably need to go shoe shopping or have some chocolate therapy. Carry on. :D

[...Applause...]

Just my .02 - there's a lot of "you have to spend a lot of money to shoot 'long' range proficiently". I'm not saying that everyone feels that way, not at all, not even in the slightest, but lets not forget that guys have been shooting at that kind of distance long before 6.5cm, Nightforce and AI came along (not saying that's what everyone says we need, just generalizing). Skill is more of a contributing factor than equipment. There are those that will disagree, and you do need a decent consistent rifle and scope, but when I was younger I remember seeing guys shoot 800 or so yards with an old Tasco or Bushnell Banner scope on a Winchester model 70 or 700. It can be done. Better to spend money on ammo and get out on the range.

I bought a rem 700 sps and shot 1G at orsa out of the box with a 4.5x14 nikon. I have sense upgraded the stock and scope and can some what hang with my buddies custom rig.

OP... I'm on a tight budget myself, but I've bought enough budget crap in my past that I don't want to be in that boat again. What I do is buy things one at a time that are in my price range, that are proven. For me - it was a Rem 700 SPS Tactical. When I first bought it, I had the piece of crap X Mark Pro trigger on it, some Warne rings & bases, which are OK, and a decent Vortex scope. This was all on the factory crap Hogue stock that comes with it, and a 6 yr old Harris bipod.

Each month or so, I would have another small wad of cash saved up combined with selling something off that I didn't need any more, and I would upgrade it Johnny Cash style. First was a trigger - I put a Timney on it. Are there better triggers? Maybe... Probably, but Timneys are damn good. Then it was a better scope, then it was better rings and bases, then finally a chassis system to replace the crap Hogue. All told, I'm in to the rifle much more than $1k, but I didn't do it all at once, or even close to that.

It requires patience, and when it comes to my guns I can act like a kid when my parts show up on the doorstep - but I'm shooting buddies with people who spend as much as they can at once on their setup - but not enough as they want, and I see their frustration when their scope won't track, or they're using a good piece of glass with $25 Millet rings. You don't need top of the line gear, especially not right away. I am still the guy that needs a ton of practice on the basics, but It's nice to know that it's ME and not my gear when something isn't going as it should.

It's really easy to get carried away when I see all of these custom sticks on here that cost 3-4 times more than my rifle. I forget that what I have works for me, and I think "maybe I need that to be better"... when really I just need to get better.

Last edited: