• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best hex and torx bits?

Andielouroo

Private Pyle
Supporter
Minuteman
May 10, 2017
Nevada
I’m sick of buying shitty torx bits from Home Depot that don’t fit well in screw heads and either twist out of shape or strip out screws.

Looks like Wera gets great reviews on Amazon, but I thought I’d check and see if someone has found a bit set that holds up and fits well in screw heads before I order the relatively expensive Wera set.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Reactions: FredHammer
The Wera power bits are excellent. Those are the first choice to order in the shop. I typically order them from KCTool. We used to get the Whia bits, the Wera power bits have been lasting longer, we use them with hand tools and power tools.

I’m sick of buying shitty torx bits from Home Depot that don’t fit well in screw heads and either twist out of shape or strip out screws.

Looks like Wera gets great reviews on Amazon, but I thought I’d check and see if someone has found a bit set that holds up and fits well in screw heads before I order the relatively expensive Wera set.

Keep in mind that there are 2 versions of TORX screw drive. The original TORX and TORX Plus.

TORX PLUS® DRIVE SYSTEM
1703595990391.png

Klein, they're the standard in the electrical industry..

Heres a good thread on the topic. A few good brands recommended.

Snap on, matco, mac. Legit lifetime tools. I run them on a 3/8 impact daily and have only replaced 2 out of my set in almost 10 years. Both were warrantied

They're Asian imports now I believe. I buy Wera now.
There was a change in quality at some point a few years ago we got a whole batch that were undersized. KC replaced the whole batch the first time and when the second ones did it they recommended we move to the Wera.

After researching more, I ordered individual Felo torx bits and individual Wera hex plus bits.

Will use them with my fix-it-sticks torque limiters.

Wiha or Wera. Their cost is irrelevant compared to the fucking aggravation of a stripped screw head.

End of story

Wiha or Wera. Their cost is irrelevant compared to the fucking aggravation of a stripped screw head.

End of story
The price really wasnt even that bad in the end. I got 25 bits for $50 shipped. Saving aggravation for $2 a piece delivered is an easy choice. Shit, with the amount of money we spend on guns, optics, mounts, ammo, etc., $2 a piece feels almost free.

Reactions: Keith E. and Modoc
Shit, with the amount of money we spend on guns, optics, mounts, ammo, etc., $2 a piece feels almost free.

There just simply isn't a price I won't pay for quality tools.

Case in point everyone here obsesses over bolt torque but then they spend $50 - $60 on those chinamart Wheeler wrenches.

For another hundo over that you can get a real torque driver (CDI, Tohnichi) that you can trust.

I have never needed much of an excuse to buy a good book or good tools. Over the years, I have a collection of many of both. This is enriched my life immeasurably……