• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best Hog hunting caliber?

JoshcBoucher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Northern Delaware.
If I were to take one, or 2, for a hunt. .223, 30-30, 35 Rem.,.308, or 45-70? Thinking 300 Win Mag would be a bit over kill. Also a thought: bolt, Lever or Semi, in Texas? This will be my first serious Hog hunt. My "first" hog hunt, was as a last minute guest, with a borrowed 243, and I never got a shot off. Wasn't sure this was the right board. Could have been a Stupid Marksmanship Question, answered with "That depends on where ya hit em".................. Will be stalking some and using a stand some. Thanks, in advance, for the input.

If I were to build a rifle just for hog, I think I'd build a 338 federal in a scout type rifle. Or, maybe rebarrel my m760 pump in one. Seems like most hog hunting is fast and close, so therein is where is base my choice.

I had great luck hunting heavy cover in CA ranch land in river bottoms with a trusty M1 Garand made by IHC. All shots within 100 yards and with open sights it handled like a shotgun. Shot three each a little north of 300 pounds. My pick would be 308 or 35 Rem off your list. Have fun.

35 rem or 308 in semi or lever. Bolts are too slow for quick follow ups on multiple hogs.

I'm a huge fan of an AR15 in 6.8 spc II for hogs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

If you have a AR10 in 308 put a 1-6 scope or there about with all the ammo you think you will shoot and then add 100 rounds. I have shot them with everything from a 1911 to 6.5-284 lately #4 buck in a JM mossberg has been tearing them up.

I had great luck hunting heavy cover in CA ranch land in river bottoms with a trusty M1 Garand made by IHC. All shots within 100 yards and with open sights it handled like a shotgun. Shot three each a little north of 300 pounds. My pick would be 308 or 35 Rem off your list. Have fun.

M1 rifle sounds about perfect!

I've got a suppressed 12.5" 458 SOCOM. Shooting 325gr it is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 rem or 308 in semi or lever. Bolts are too slow for quick follow ups on multiple hogs.

I'm a huge fan of an AR15 in 6.8 spc II for hogs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

I to am a big fan of the 6.8 for hogs. A good break or suppressor make for wicked quick follow up shots with great stopping power/range.

Most of the hogs I run into are between 50-100 yards, moving and with friends. At night those distances get tighter. We shoot a ton of them. They do tremendous damage here in Texas. Shoot on sight.

I also run 7.62x39 (Sig Sauer 556R auto loader), 300 Blackout SBR and 308.

300 Win mag is overkill.

Iv'e shot em with my 45-70 guide gun. Great for stopping them. Not so great on the follow up.

Pig.JPGPigs.JPG

these are the last 2 week's culls

Last edited:
Ive shot them with a .270, 45-70 guide gun and a 300 win mag.

It all depends on what terrain and distances youre hunting and the circumstances. The 45-70 with irons was a great small package for humping brush and shots within 100 yards, it sure knocks them on their ass!!

.270 was also adequate, the 300 win mag works very well but is definitely not necessary to have that much gun.

If youre going to be shooting multiple hogs at one time I would go for an AR10, otherwise in a bolt gun anything over 243 would be adequate IMO.

The calibers I have shot them with most;

45/70
.375 WSM

The .375 WSM is my favourite to date. Great hitting power like the 45/70 but improved trajectory.

OK. Great feed back! Sounds like .308 or stronger, as I don't have a 6.8 [yet] . Have a Browning, but she's a new, unscratched, wood stocked version. Hate to think of pushing through heavy brush with it. M1A or AR-10, then. I have a couple scope options. 1X6 , or a 4X Acog. Also 4-16, which could be nice if I get into "longer shots" from a stand. Sounds more like a "shoot as many as you can[humanely, that is]" instead of a Trophy hunt. My first hunt was a stalking- type and the herd broke right, with me on the left, and shooters in between. They opened up like the 4th of July. Mostly a cluster f---, as the shooters were really golfers, and the hogs escaped, with out a scratch. That was app. 80 miles east of Dallas. This hunt will be north of Dallas, near the Red River, and I have no idea what the terrain is like. I'd like to use the Win. 45-70, but it's a lever, and my smith talked me out of drilling her for a scout scope set-up. With these old eyes, open sights get fuzzy and wearing glasses in Texas, in July would be a pain . Might change my mind on that one, cause it's quick to the shoulder, and lite.