• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Hunting Boots & Light Recommendations

Blueknight99

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2019
Folks - Looking for some hunting gear recommendations. Could not find an apparel section so posting here.

Boots: Need recommendations on good non-insulated light weight and flexible hunting boots. A bit of water resistance is desired. Want something with flexible soles as I would be climbing tree stands etc.

Light: Need a good and powerful light. Would like to get the best possible. Not looking for huge and bulky lights as but a powerful beam, good range, and good spread in an as small as possible package.

Reactions: Huntinglover
I absolutely love my Altra Lone Peak mid's.. if you go with the neo shell it's water resistant.

Better grip them Solomon's, wide toe box, with wool socks I've work them down to 20 degree ambient, and enough cushion for a 20 mile fast pack.

For lights , I second Fenix.

Edit: if you go through runners warehouse, they got a great return policy. I've worn a pair for a race, they didn't work out and was able to return them. Not affiliated with them but they've been great to me the past 10 years/ 30+ pairs of shoes

You're going to get as many boot recs as there are guys with feet on this board. Personally, I prefer a stiff sole But, boots and shoes with stiff soles can feel clunky.

That said, I climbed a tree stand ladder last night in a pair of worn out meindl shoes, and again this morning in a pair of muck boots. Flip flops, those shoes with toes, nikes, cowboy boots, barefoot, crocs, none should prevent you from climbing a ladder- even those shitty tree stand ladders.

For stand hunting, where hikes are short, I wear whatever "sneaker" du juor I have with me when it's dry. Muck boots when it's wet. I have a pair of oboz tamarack hikers for back country trips.

Reactions: XLR308
For Boots, I’ve used Lowa’s, and they feel nice like more of a shoe than a boot. I wouldn’t call them light necessarily. The Renegades are comfy. The downside to them if you kneel a lot is the toe leather tends to break away from the rest of the boot over time.

I also like Fenix, and I liked LED Lenser - looks like they were bought by Leatherman, not sure on their quality now

I’ve been using Lowa Renegades for many years, and I like em. I need to replace them every couple years, but I’ve always found deals for a little over $100. Boots are about as personal as you can get though.

Crispi. They just work. A lot of options, but once you sort through everything I’m sure you’ll find something that works for you.

I also like Fenix, and I liked LED Lenser - looks like they were bought by Leatherman, not sure on their quality now

Dang...should have known before.....Leatherman bought them ? I hope they retain the quality. I bought the Fenix based off of good recommendations here and from other hunters.

Dang...should have known before.....Leatherman bought them ? I hope they retain the quality. I bought the Fenix based off of good recommendations here and from other hunters.

LED Lenser was called Coast in the US for a long time. The Lenser site now says Leatherman at the bottom. Maybe Leatherman just does the importing and distribution now??

1 - Irish setter
2 - muck
I have a set of Irish setter in a neoprene rubber boot I use in early part of hunting season when it's still hot , so comfortable . there like walking through the woods in a pair of socks
SH04896C_MUL_N1_0816.jpeg

What you planning to do. ....... Hunting boots; Rocky Mountain elk and deer, Alask moose and bear, midwestern Whitetail , eastern tree stand, Dall sheep,in British Columbia all require different footwear

I’m a bit of a flashlight nerd. Stream light, Surfire and Fenix all have a place in my house , a truck or as weapon lights.

This light gets used the most at work and in the woods. Great illumination, good battery life, hands free as a needed

Well I got the Fenix light as well for my hunting trip.
Also, got Lowas.

Hunting whitetail in NC by the way

Reactions: MarinePMI
Boots: Lathrop & Sons, Schnees, Hanwag, Crispi, Zamberlan. Get what fits your foot

Light: Petzl

Thanks for all the excellent opinions guys. Went ahead and ordered the following:

- Boots : LOWA Zephyrs
- Light: Fenix PD36R Rechargeable Flashlight

Something that is hardly ever mentioned is how the sole material reacts in different situations.

I got lowas 2 years ago and at the same time a pair of keens.

Wore the lowas turkey hunting in the spring about 6 months after I got them.
I was out scouting off a ridge. I moved down a slope onto a large rock ,it was wet with dew. As I stepped out on it I almost slipped and fell. It was like stepping on ice. The drop would have been over 100'!

Make sure you check out how the soles react in different situations.
Iowas are good and comfortable but they are slick as snot on anything wet that offer no traction!
Just a word to the wise

By the way the keens have been gtg.

Reactions: XLR308
Folks - Looking for some hunting gear recommendations. Could not find an apparel section so posting here.

Boots: Need recommendations on good non-insulated light weight and flexible hunting boots. A bit of water resistance is desired. Want something with flexible soles as I would be climbing tree stands etc.

Light: Need a good and powerful light. Would like to get the best possible. Not looking for huge and bulky lights as but a powerful beam, good range, and good spread in an as small as possible package.
Take a look at the following: Muck Arctic Pro 8MM Rubber Boot Simply outstanding! Great for Fall and Winter hunting. Mack's Prairie Wing has them on sale right now! I have a pair that I used in Upstate NY hunting and Salmon fishing during the winter...my feet never got cold even in sub teen temps. Very comfortable and worth any price you can get them. I paid full price...no regrets!

Thing about Lowa is that they run very narrow and only a few of their products are offered in wide.

but I think they make a great product. Have a medium weight Kiev hiking boot they offered in wide and I like them a lot.

but like the fella above mentioned, they do have a pretty stiff sole and I’m not sure I‘d consider them particularly light weight.

Last edited:

Lowa Camino Gtx have been great. Not too stiff with an easy break-in.

I run a powertac E5 flashlight I put a rechargeable 18650 in. It lasts me months on the medium settings and I have spotted for coyotes with the highest setting. Lifetime warranty and waterproof.

Boots: Altama Maritime Assault hightops.
When it’s hot outside, I may switch to my Chippewas if I’m going into something snake-ish.

Light: stream light TLR HL. I know it’s a weapons light but that’s what I have in my rig due to weight. If needed I can clip it to my rail and light the situation up.

I've used Soloman GTX boots for 3 years of mountain and Alaska hunting. I like the combo of light weight and flexibility. I can't stand a stiff unforgiving boot. I've had good luck with the waterproofness as well.

Fenix lights are my go to for hunting. The PD35 is a great combo of low level "map reading" vs huge lumens and long throw in the same light. Fairly cheap too.

I blew through 2 pairs of UA boots in 3 years... enough of that. I sucked it up and ordered some Schnees Beartooth 200g boots about a month ago and I am so happy I did! The quality is unreal and they are super comfortable. They also seem to be warmer than the 400g UA boots I had before.

For anyone looking, they also run true to size based on the Brannock foot measuring tool.

Lowa, Scarpa, La Sportiva, Garmont or Meindl for boots (depending on foot shape), Pezl (head torch) or SureFire for lights. Job. Done.