• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best hunting factory hunting rifle ~$1200

kyle1974

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2009
Corpus Christi
looking for some opinions on what is the best bolt action hunting rifle in the 1200 price range +/-

I know with factory rifles, it can be a chance that you will get a gun that doesn't shoot well, but overall, what seems to be the best bet?

Re: Best hunting factory hunting rifle ~$1200

Everybody has their favorites, get ready to hear a lot of opinions.

My vote goes to the Winchester Model 70 (original, Classic, or current FN made).

well here's one more option, and maybe it's the best, although it will leave me without a rifle for sometime.

I have a 700 bdl in 7mm mag. I was thinking about sending it off to be re barreled, and have a different stock put on. That's got to be the best bet to get an accurate rifle... just the wait time to get it completed.

Its hard to beat a remington sendero if you stay in that price range IMHO

For accuracy, I like Savage, out of the box. I currently have a custom remington 700 in progress now. Way more than 1200.00 though. Dont over look CZ. I have a model 527 kevlar varmint in a .223, and it shoots lights out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you hunting? </div></div>

mainly whitetail deer, occasionally nilgai and hogs. Long shots are pretty common though, and it's primarily out of a box blind, so weight isn't that big of a deal. I've got another little rifle for when I'm walking around or driving.

I'd say a Sendero or Savage long range hunter series...especially if weight isn't an issue.

Remington has a nice line of stainless fluted hunter weight guns out now. I was admiring a 280 the other day at the funstore. I think it was around 800 so that would leave room for mounts and a pretty decent optic in your budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looking for some opinions on what is the best bolt action hunting rifle in the 1200 price range +/-

I know with factory rifles, it can be a chance that you will get a gun that doesn't shoot well, but overall, what seems to be the best bet? </div></div>

That's funny. Trust me, with $4000 custom rifles, "it can be a chance that you will get a gun that doesn't shoot well..."

Savage has been doing great work lately. Remington is always a good choice.

I like my 80's model Winchester M70 featherweight '06.

get a Tikka T3, Sako 75/85 or even a Howa.

Everytime i pick up a Rem 700 in the gun shop it screams mass produced junk more than any other factory rifle.

5R in 300wm
long range power
weather resistant
in your price range
most are accurate out of the box

but I'm bias
wink.gif

As mentioned dont ignore the SAKO or Tikka. I think the CZs are worth a look also.

The Sako 85 is a little over your price range but if you shop around you can find some great deals on the Sako 75.

I have had a couple of the Sako 75's. Smooth bolts and great accuracy with good hunting ammo.

I have owned Sako, Browning, Remington, Winchester, Weatherby (Vanguard & Accumark)& CZ. I have also had some time behind a friends Tikka. Overall the Sako & Tikka rifles gave the best accuracy with a wider range of factory hunting ammo.

I would take a good used Sako over a new anything else every time.

I'd probably go with a Sendero in 7mmRM or 300WM. I prefer the 7mmRM myself, but that's just personal preference. I had a bad experience with a Savage back around 1995 and haven't bought one since. I couldn't speak for their current models. My old platoon sergeant swears by his Tikka 300WM.

Without a specific type of game specified, I'm assuming you're looking for something more generic, applicable to many purposes.

For this I favor the .30-'06 cartridge, and suggest the Savage Weather Warrior 116FCSS, listing at $778, Cabela's currently lists this rifle for $729. That leaves a nice chunk of change for optics and mounts. Cabelas also lists a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 for $189.

Greg

+1 on savage! The package rifles are a pretty good deal. You being in texas can get em really cheap at wallmart, shuck the flimsy plastic stock for a Houge, and I'd go 7mm rem mag. Pretty good all around hunting rifle for southwest.

Like my M70 in 300WSM, like the 3 position safety. But am also looking at a new Savage 10FP, have always liked a Savage.

The Weather Warrior I mentoned employs the Accue-Stock, which has a full length metal chassis including the reinforced forend, and uses a unique bolt/bedding system that turns a hunter into something a lot closer to a match rifle's accuracy standard. 4-round D/M, adjustable Accue-Trigger, stainless construction, button rifled sporter weight 22" barrel, under 7lb. I'd do it in a New York second.

I find little to dislike. A lot of Savage criticism is based on obsolete info.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A lot of Savage criticism is based on obsolete info. </div></div>

This could be true. Did Savage go through a renaissance in the last ten years or so in terms of QC and design? I'm just wondering because the rifle I had seems like a completely different rifle than what people on the forums speak so highly of. It could be that I had a lemon.

To each his own but why spend that much for just a hunting rig? My buddy purchased a Tikka T3 .308 for $550 new. It comes with a free floated cold hammered forged precision barrel with a very nice adjustable trigger. I have shot it from rest with 168gr and 175gr and consistently got 1/2 to 3/4MOA groups at 100yards.

How the hell can you beat that?

Read the reviews the Tikka T3 is a very accurate rifle out of the box and an amazing price. The action is so smooth i could not believe it with a very crisp trigger. It also feels much more refined in the hand compared to your regular mass produced stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you hunting? </div></div>
mainly whitetail deer, occasionally nilgai and hogs. Long shots are pretty common though, and it's primarily out of a box blind, so weight isn't that big of a deal. I've got another little rifle for when I'm walking around or driving. </div></div>
How far are these "long shots" that you are talking about?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you hunting? </div></div>
mainly whitetail deer, occasionally nilgai and hogs. Long shots are pretty common though, and it's primarily out of a box blind, so weight isn't that big of a deal. I've got another little rifle for when I'm walking around or driving. </div></div>
How far are these "long shots" that you are talking about? </div></div>

as far as you want... we hunt on senderos that are literally miles long. we also have some pipleine right of ways that go across the entire lease... so anywhere from 10 yards to as far as you want to push it. the Nilgai we have come through from time to time are tough animals though. most of the outfitters recommend a 300 win mag as the minimum

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you hunting? </div></div>
How far are these "long shots" that you are talking about? </div></div>

as far as you want... we hunt on senderos that are literally miles long. we also have some pipleine right of ways that go across the entire lease... so anywhere from 10 yards to as far as you want to push it. </div></div>

IMHO, ethical hunting with normal type cartridges should be limited to less than 500yards. I know there are plenty of people that take game at 1000yards etc, but if you look they are running .338 Edge or something similar. For your typical, .308, 30-06, 300 win mag, etc there are a lot of variables involved beyond 500yards that will limit your skills in putting down an animal ethically. Remember you are not just shooting paper or steel. A little wind read miscalculation beyond those ranges and you can easily miss the vitals by a few inches and have a suffering animal that you dont recover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> we hunt on senderos </div></div>

Well there you go, you obviously need a sendero model Remington
grin.gif

Seriously though, I like the Sendero's, but I'd also look very closely at Tikka, CZ, and Howa/Weatherby. All of the above will be excellent weapons and will (with the possible exception of the Sendero) leave you $$ left over for the critical factor of optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kimber Montana </div></div>

What he said.

I'm hoping someday they offer a lefty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you hunting? </div></div>
Nilgai as in the animal native to Pakistan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nilgai

"The nilgai (Boselaphus tragocamelus), sometimes called nilgau, is an antelope, and is one of the most commonly seen wild animals of central and northern India and eastern Pakistan; it is also present in parts of southern Nepal."

Are you hunting these in the US or where?

just got back from a gun shop and they have a sako 85 classic.,... nice gun... worth almost 2K?

the sendero is up there though. the only thing holding me back is based off a 22-250 varmit special I bought several years ago. I tried 8-10 different loads, and not a single one would shoot under 1.5 MOA at 100 yards. pretty piss poor, being that I can get right under an inch with my 7mm BDL.

ranger,

that's the one. The king ranch brought these in years ago, and they have absolutely flourished in the south texas plains. since the king and kennedy ranches are low fenced, the nilgai have spread out over a good portion in south texas. They are also *excellent* eating.. much better than whitetail. They are getting to be a pain in the ass in some places.... tearing up fences and having population blow ups, competing with other animals.

you can get a hunt for one at a reasonable price though... cows are maybe 400-500, and bulls are around 1500. not bad compared to most other hunts in texas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> you can get a hunt for one at a reasonable price though... cows are maybe 400-500, and bulls are around 1500. not bad compared to most other hunts in texas. </div></div>

This is why I think god I've always lived in states with public land...
grin.gif

for $1200 I would recommend tha you ship your rifle to Benchmark barrels and have them fix your rifle up right. Their barrels are EXCELLENT shooters. I know because they spanked me at the last "competition practice" and I was shooting a krieger.

Benchmark Barrels, 1105 Pioneer Highway East, Arlington, WA 98223
Contact Ron Sinema or Barry Graber at (360) 652-2594 or email benchmarkbarrels[at]yahoo.com. No website yet.

They do smith very accurate rifles and their barrels are as good as any out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did Savage go through a renaissance in the last ten years or so in terms of QC and design?</div></div>

Yes, I took a Stevens (Savages cheap brand) and rebarreled with a Savage LE takeoff barrell and dropped it in a Choate stock with a Rifle Basix trigger for less than the cost of a Remmy 5R and it makes 3/4" 10 round groups with 42.5 grains of Varget and 168gr SMK's loaded at 2.80". The Savage factory team won the F Class world championships a few years back with FACTORY RIFLES, no customization. Shoot one and you will be hooked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just got back from a gun shop and they have a sako 85 classic.,... nice gun... worth almost 2K? </div></div>

No, to nice for banging around in the woods.

Check with euro optics for a hunter model. Should be cheaper than that.

Just a thought but you might want to do a little shopping around and see if you can find a smith that can work the right magic on your 700 for the price your are looking for.

Not sure what model you have but a factory wooden BDL stock can be pillar bedded and with the addition of a little truing and a quality barrel you could have a real shooter for pretty close to what you want to spend.

Even if you spend a little more, you might like the results better in the long run. You could always add a McMillan or Manners later.

Im a Rem 700 fan. I purchased a Remingtom 700 BDL Varmint Sythetic in 2004 for $325 at a gun shop in Wyoming. The thing hammers. Its bone stock and shoots 1/2 Moa out to a grand. There isnt much difference between the BDL VS and the PSS other than the finish (one being gloss and the other matte), and also the PSS is coming with a 26" barrel now. They stopped producing the BDL VS in 93 or 94 I believe and started producing the PSS, but every now and again you can find one for sale on gunbroker. You can find quite a few BDL Varmints for sale in the $450-$650 range, but the Varmint Synthetics (came with the H&S Precision Aluminum bedding Block and pillars) are a bit harder to come buy. The Varmints Come with the wood laminant stock but to put a sythetic stock on it and a decent scope and your still in the $1200 range. This gun I have shot a 3.30" 3 round group at 900 yds and consistently hammers .3"-.4" groups at 100 yds. Hope this helps.

Yes, I believe Savage has gone and is going through a renaissance. When once the only serious rifle I'd buy from them was the 10FP, they now have a huge selection of more appropriate rifles (and Slug Guns, now). Their rifles have actually achieved practical improvements in many areas; Trigger, Stock, and DBM for just three. Their new Edge is also very interesting as a lowball Hunter.

Greg

from what I understand savage has turned things around... but I just can't get past the total shit they used to produce for so long...

so after another trip to another shop... I'm thinking about a weatherby accumark in 270 weathermy mag.

they actually had a used sako 85 hunter for 1300 that was in mint condition, and didnt' appear to have ever been fired in 25-06, but I just really don't like the limitation of bullets in the 25 caliber for deer, and think it's marginal for larger critters.

just before I bought it, I was wondering if there are any horror stories about the accumark...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so after another trip to another shop... I'm thinking about a weatherby accumark in 270 weathermy mag.

they actually had a used sako 85 hunter for 1300 that was in mint condition, and didnt' appear to have ever been fired in 25-06, but I just really don't like the limitation of bullets in the 25 caliber for deer, and think it's marginal for larger critters.

just before I bought it, I was wondering if there are any horror stories about the accumark... </div></div>

you are passing up a Sako 85 Hunter in .25-06 for a Weatherby Accumark in .270 Weatherby Mag?

Don't get me wrong. Personnally, I love Weatherby's and I know it will get the job done. But I've also owned Sako's. and absolutely regret the day I sold mine.

BIG mistake.

Are you sure the .25-06 won't get the job done? (hint, hint!)

.25-06 ammo at MidwayUSA

Besides, have you seriously considered the price of .270 Weatherby Magnum ammo? That's a horror story itself!

.270 Weatherby Magnum ammo at MidwayUSA

I would take a look at the Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range. The price is close to what you're looking for. The available calibers are 223,308 and 300Wm.

Weatherby, Remminton and most other makes just arent in the same league as Sako.

Get the 85

I had an accumark in 257 Weatherby. Best groups were around 1". Average groups closer to 1.25". A factory gun in a factory caliber with expensive factory ammo in my opinion should produce better. Weatherby said the accuracy was within their standard.

That gun funded the sako 75 in 300 win mag. I have never missed it. I still have a few factory rounds of 257 weatherby ammo to remind me of that mistake.

Keep shopping around you will find a Sako in a caliber you like. The best deals are just before and after hunting season.

Lately I've been just buying Remington SPS's in my caliber of choice and junking the crappy plastic factory stock. I put them in the B&C Medalist stocks with the full length aluminum block and torque to 55 inch pounds. I have done this with three of them in the last few months at it has produced sub moa shooters everytime with factory hunting ammo. It also makes for a fairly lightweight setup that I'm not worried about scratching and can be put together for around $750 or less.