• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best inexpensive .223 rifle M4

Re: Best inexpensive .223 rifle M4

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After all this info, it looks like Kelly Firearms can put together a mil-spec M4 with a chrome lined barrel for $700. Unless anyone pops up and says don't buy it I am going to grab one of these things.

Thanks for the excellent input </div></div>

If it sounds too good to be true ...

If it were me, I would spend a little more for a known quantity with a company that will back their product 100% (BCM, DD, etc.).

I can't say anything negative about Kelly because I don't know anything about them.

ETA - there are several things I see that are not mil-spec just by the claims made on his website. Semi BCG, non-chrome lined, wrong barrel steel, etc. etc.

Problems I have personally experienced:

Bushmaster: about 10% failure to feed softpoint ammo (fine otherwise)

CMMG: gas key improperly staked and came loose, caused cycling problems

Noveske (bolt): 50% failure to eject, problem fixed by removing an undocumented o-ring from under the extractor that should not be standard and that I did not ask for

The Sig 516. Can be found around the $980 mark, piston drive, Sig quality

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ironman675</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Sig 516. Can be found around the $980 mark, piston drive, Sig quality </div></div>

Sig quality is the problem. Sig has horrible QC currently.

can i throw one more in the mix .. i have a few ''box'' ar types the rest are home rolled ...YHM XL carbine is one of best for buck so look at it..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After all this info, it looks like Kelly Firearms can put together a mil-spec M4 with a chrome lined barrel for $700. Unless anyone pops up and says don't buy it I am going to grab one of these things.

Thanks for the excellent input </div></div>

I don't think you will be disappointed. I shoot the hell out of mine. Granted, they have Stainless barrels instead of standard, but the upper and lower are high quality as compared to other more well known brands I've had my hands on and both rifles work flawlessly. Steve Kelly is a great guy and will take good care of you. His shipping time is quick too. My second one was on its way the morning after he received the funds, even with the upgrade work he did. I'm saving my lunch money for a 16"M4 A4 right now.

Have a rag handy when you get it 'cause he oils the hell out of'em,lol.

Cheers

I talked to Steven over at Kelly and for $50 he will swap out the steel barrel for a chrome lined barrel & feed ramps. So, for $700 not a bad deal.

Anyone know how much a BCM std. M4 flatop runs with a front sight? They seem like another good rig to look at buying.

For an out of the box rifle it doesn't get any better than a LMT, BCM, S&W, Colt, or DD. Personally I wouldn't even consider and other brands. With BCM and LMT you can buy the components seperatly and save yourself some coin on excise tax. I recently put together a LMT Defender 2000 and this is what everything cost me.

$350 for the complete lower shipped and including the $30 FFL fee from eagle but they can be had on gunbroker for the same.
$365 shipped for LMT 16" upper minus handguards on gunbroker
$129 shipped for LMT FA BCG from eagle armory
$45 for a BCM gunfighter CH at my local gun store.
$25 for a set of take off handguards that I didn't even end up using.

All said and done the whole rifle was only $914 using all new parts not including a rear sight. I didn't use the handguards and ended up getting a TROY VTAC free float tube at my local shop for $150 and then I got a DD fixed BUIS for $40 shipped used. You may not find as good of a deal on a LMT upper as I did but a BCM can be had for just a little more than that and they're every bit as good.

So my conclusion is if you want to save on excise tax and don't mind doing minimal assembly (no more than taking your rifle down for maintenance) a rifle built with LMT and/or BCM parts is the best for the $$. If you want to buy a complete gun then your best for the money is going to be a 6920 for under $1000 as post in this thread or a S&W M&P. If going the M&P route I would pay the extra for the MOE model as it gets you better furniture from the get go.

I just can't see paying extra just for a name. I'll put my two "cheap ass no name" rifles up against any name brand rifle any day of the week. They cost a fraction of the price and shoot as good if not better from what I read on here and other forums.

Actually a lot of the big name manufacturers tend to get laxed after they're established and the orders are rolling in, this is found in most industries, while the little guy is working hard to produce the best product he can to make his name and gain further sales.

to each his own, I guess. I'm extreamly happy with my "cheap ass no name" AR's built/sold by Mr. Kelly. I'm saving for a third.

If you are going to be running it hard (not an occasional range plinker) then spend the money and be done. If you have to save longer, do so and you will be rewarded. Or you can run the chance of having your stick break at your expensive class and you'll be sitting in the armorers shack while everyone else is out learning.

Buy something cheap, fix the few problems that commonly plague the platform, and run it. As it has already been said, the trigger and barrel are all that really matter. If something isn't staked, stake it. Maintain a half decent inspection procedure and forget about relying on some fan-boy brand name. In all of these AR brand-war discussions, the ONLY problems that are ever brought up are stupid simple issues that can be fixed by just about any idiot who can put a round peg in a round hole.

Spikes Tactical seems to be the cheapest "mil-spec" AR platform. For $770 shipped from AIM surplus, I love my midlength.

$1200= NIB Colt 6940.

That would be my starting point. I know what I am getting, no surprises.

Went with the S&W Sport model for only $560. I will swap out for a quad rail and optic and few other minor mods. Should have a reliable rifle with optic and great warranty for well under 1K.

Now I get to wait 30 days to get the rig....hate waiting.

fuck it spend a few extra dollars and get a red jacket!!

seriously if you build it your self you can do a good one for rite around $500 ill get you a parts list and links to where to get the parts

lower http://www.rguns.net/

i have 2 of these and they are great for the price both of the ones i have did not require any extra work to fit them to the uppers i have on them one has a viltor and one has a spikes. Both fit snug with no wiggle in them at all $65 x $20 shipping x what ever your transfer paper work is $25 for me.. i ordered 4 and the shipping for all 4 was $20. my friend took 2 of them. my cost for the 2 was $95 each.

upper http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Upper-Receiver-s/33.htm

lower parts kit for $59 at brownells
you can get the stock on many sights with the buffer tube for about $60 putting the complete lower at about $215

you can get the bolt carrier and key for $60

barrel http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=274900622#PIC

gas tube is about $12 gas tube roll pin about $2 i have bought them at ace for about .60 cents and the hand guard i have seen as low as $1 on gun broker with no reserve but you should be able to get them all day long for about $14

thats about $520 for a working m4 you would need a rear sight with that upper so i guess your rely at about $560.

no frills i have built a few for friends and they are better than a mini 14 good guns for under $600

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Del-ton makes a great AR for a good price. I have one I built from one of their kits and have over 12,000 rounds down it. Replaced a barrel once, the ejector spring and the buffer spring. That is all I have ever done to it </div></div>

Very true, I have done TONS of builds with their stuff and never had problems.

I've heard good things about Del-ton. Check out their web site, they seems to have good prices. Good luck.

Very true...and thx for the parts list. I went ahead and ordered the M&P for only $560! Gets me the lifetime warranty which is a big deal. I dont plan on doing much....just a quad rail and red dot..and maybe a light.

All the rest of my cash is gonna get spent on a bunch of Pmags and ammo.

Thanks gents. Ill share some pics as soon as I pick it up and have it rigged out.