• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best insulated gear?

Re: Best insulated gear?

Depends on what you are doing. I have been using UnderArmor ColdGear for the first layer. A North Face polartec jacket and Cabela's polartec pants for the second layer, and Marmot Windstoper shell or a MilSpec ECWCS Goretex Parka for the outer layer. This was the outfit I took to Norway last year and it served me quite well.

+1 for Snugpak, they makes some damed fine light weight jackets, I really like their Sleeka line. Take your pick for a water proof shell; Ark'teryx, Mountain Gear, North Face, Marmot, and yes even the ECWCS. They all make some very durable shells that are stretchy, breathable, and water proof. Just make sure you do a layer system, that way you can shed clothing if you are indoors, or if you begin to get warm. The trick is not to ever sweat.

Arcteryx. Look into the LEAF line if you are going for military colors.

+1 for snugpak. Good value on the Sleeka line.

Otherwise if you need something lighter anything with PrimaLoft One or Exceloft insulation in a light weight nylon shell with DWR should do just fine. Typically the warmth of a mid weight windproof fleece at like 1/2 the weight.

I'm a fan of the Montbell stuff: their UL jacket is like wearing...air. But for everyday wear, I'd probably go with their Thermawrap.

Otherwise, the Patagucci Nanopuff line is popular also.

Depends what you want to spend, I have been using Cabelas dry plus waterfowl gear for 2 decades and I sit still duck hunting in the cold. I also use the same stuff for work when I am outside clearing the range/impact area and it does just as good there.

I hear from a friend the Wildthings Happy suit stuff is great too, light and plenty warm.

I'm a big fan of the Arcteryx Leaf Alpha over the Atom. The gear is expensive but will last and will leopard you warm and 100% dry.

Ah, something I know about.

Echo the 'it depends' answer. It depends on what you are going to do and how cold it really is. For me, 'cold' is below 0f, last winter that meant -30 or colder, so it becomes a relative thing. For me, cold also means snow, so my gear is tuned to it, as is my advice. For 30-40f and rain, I dress like a duck hunter.

For just bumming around on the snogo, my black Carharts and white bunny boots or Muck boots are just the thing. Not very 'tacticool' but very functional.
For hunting/shooting I typically do layers, starting the day 'light' and adding to adjust. Starting heavy means you start sweating - wet = cold - once you are wet and cold it is very difficult to get dry and warm when it's -30 out.
I've become a fan of UA for base layers and then synthetic stuff on the way towards the surface. Good friend likes silk and wool. Either way, start light and go from there.
Wind blocker fleece is great. I use a lot of fleece.
I pack a down coat and will throw it on under a fleece windblocker or goretex shell. I picked up a Cabela's 'planet hoth' windblocker jacket and pants combo that has been great.

Take extra base layer stuff. Even your undies. If you do get wet for some reason, risking a frost bit wienie is better than dyin, and dyin can happen quick when it is cold out.

Get 2 good hats. 1 light one, and one heavy. One of the best investments I ever made was in a beaver hat, but sometimes it gets to warm, so shifting over to something lighter is the way to go. Again - wet = cold.

Last piece of cold gear advise: fuck looking cool. There is nothing wrong with throwing a white poncho over some hot pink gear if the hot pink keeps you alive.