• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Best IR illuminators

Srussede

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2010
tyler, tx
I was wondering what iR illuminators everyone was using, didn't see a thread so figured I'd start one. Only one I have had experience with is "da torch" from TNVC.com. Just got it today and only had about an hour or so to use it tonight and think it is going to work better with a magnified optic. Thinking about getting a surefire fm23 iR filter to use when pvs14 is sitting behind aimpoint. What is everyone using for close to long range iR illumination and pics if possible. I will try to get pics up of "da torch" at various ranges at a later date.

Re: Best IR illuminators

Here's a short video of a Da Torch in urban conditions - 100m to 140m range ( The trees in the image are @100m, but the fence behind that is barely visible is @140m ).

Keep in mind this is with a Russian Gen1 riflescope designed for shooting out to about 40m - not a modern Gen2 or Gen3. In this respect, the Da Torch is doing very well. Additionally, the tight beam means less reflections from close-up objects.

Da Torch Video Clip ( about 10s ) <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnpy1NA-85I" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnpy1NA-85I </a>

Regards
David

hs338Lapua

Does the surefire have only a flood IR capability ir can the beam be a laser aimer also.

The Izlid looks great but requires mil/le paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can find one, the B.E. Meyers Izlid provides plenty of illumination, and can be focused to a lazer pointer. These are very powerful units, I don't have a picture, but you can Google it. </div></div> +1 B.E Meyers ROCK!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hogrider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hs338Lapua

Does the surefire have only a flood IR capability ir can the beam be a laser aimer also.

The Izlid looks great but requires mil/le paper. </div></div>

Not HS, but the surefire functions only as an illuminator not a laser also. They are nice units that can function in IR and visible modes.

How about a quick review of the Luna. Functions, range, mounting etc. The add says range to 1000m. Does it really illuminate that far and how does it work inside of 100m?

The Luna kicks ass!
The new ones have a picatinny mount.
The beam size is adjustable from "flood" all the way to a very tight beam.
It has multiple "power" settings.
It's adjustable for POI, but I don't trust it to hold zero.
I use mine more than my PEQ15 and PEQ14,for illumination. The unit will illuminate a target past 500 yards, with ease.
The issues I have with it: only has on or off settings, no provisions for a momentary/pressure pad switches, or LED indicator.

I have an old laser illuminator I bought several years ago. I was told it was a Russian made device. I made a mount for it out of an ARMS Harris Bi-pod mount. It works well out to 600+. I wonder if it is made by the same company as the Luna device.

IMG_1085.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an old laser illuminator I bought several years ago. I was told it was a Russian made device. I made a mount for it out of an ARMS Harris Bi-pod mount. It works well out to 600+. I wonder if it is made by the same company as the Luna device.

IMG_1085.jpg
</div></div>

Yours does have a similar resemblance to the Luna ELIR.

Modified Surefire flashlight as a bright IR source

I just discovered that you can buy a 3-watt LED drop-in IR lamp assembly (peak at 850nm) for some Surefire flashlights and other brands too. It's sold by a Hong Kong company called Solarforce, here is the link to the lamp assembly that costs about $7 plus shipping:

http://www.solarforce-shop.com/item.cfm/id/SF-IR-BULB/curr_code/USD

This lamp assembly produces 3 watts of IR power with 9 volts input (3x123 batteries) and less power at lower voltages, so you can crudely choose the IR power level. It drops into the Surefire 6P, 9P, C2, D2, E2, G2, M2, Z2 and Z3 flashlights - anything that will take the Surefire P60L lamp assembly (see the list of compatible flashlights on the Solarforce webpage above).

I just bought a new Surefire 6P LED flashlight and a LaRue LT-707-1 flashlight mount. The 6P's tail cap works by momentarily pushing the button or by twisting the cap, but you can also buy a replacement tail cap from Hong Kong with a 7" pressure switch for $3 on eBay.

In the end you will have a Surefire 6P (or other model/brand) flashlight with ~1-3 watt IR output in a LaRue rail mount with a tail cap or a pressure switch on a 7" lead. That's pretty bright and it's a flood source of course.

It will be a few weeks before all the parts come together, but I will report back when I've tried the new IR source. The entire flashlight, IR lamp assembly, LaRue mount, and tail cap were $215 with shipping.

Re: IZLID 1000P is the King of IR Laser Illuminators

Hi IR-v and welcome to SH. I don't disagree with anything you've said, but all the gear you have mentioned is either very expensive, hard to find, or has legal liabilities and FDA regulations relating to high power lasers.

I've been pursuing alternatives to Class IIIb laser illuminators, and some of the suggestions in this thread can be purchased easily for a few hundred dollars and are not regulated by the FDA. I'd love to have an IZLID someday, or just to try one out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just discovered that you can buy a 3-watt LED drop-in IR lamp assembly (peak at 850nm) for some Surefire flashlights and other brands too. It's sold by a Hong Kong company called Solarforce, here is the link to the lamp assembly that costs about $7 plus shipping:

http://www.solarforce-shop.com/item.cfm/id/SF-IR-BULB/curr_code/USD

This lamp assembly produces 3 watts of IR power with 9 volts input (3x123 batteries) and less power at lower voltages, so you can crudely choose the IR power level. It drops into the Surefire 6P, 9P, C2, D2, E2, G2, M2, Z2 and Z3 flashlights - anything that will take the Surefire P60L lamp assembly (see the list of compatible flashlights on the Solarforce webpage above).

I just bought a new Surefire 6P LED flashlight and a LaRue LT-707-1 flashlight mount. The 6P's tail cap works by momentarily pushing the button or by twisting the cap, but you can also buy a replacement tail cap from Hong Kong with a 7" pressure switch for $3 on eBay.

In the end you will have a Surefire 6P (or other model/brand) flashlight with ~1-3 watt IR output in a LaRue rail mount with a tail cap or a pressure switch on a 7" lead. That's pretty bright and it's a flood source of course.

It will be a few weeks before all the parts come together, but I will report back when I've tried the new IR source. The entire flashlight, IR lamp assembly, LaRue mount, and tail cap were $215 with shipping.

</div></div>

Expect to get a little over 100 yards of good usable light as they throw a fairly wide beam. If you get the ir filter it will help reduce the visible signature without effecting the ir output. I think I paid $25-$30 shipped for the Solarforce ir 6P knockoff w/o tape switch. I have also used the bulb-reflector module to build a handy driving light for my truck.

Mitch, have you used the SolarForce 3W IR lamp assembly in your 6P knockoff? I was encouraged by a Surefire SHOT show YouTube video in which a rep stated the Vampire IR flashlight was good to 150 yards, and it's only 150mw. The Surefire M1 is only 10mw and gets out to 75 yards. I'm hoping for 200 yards with the Solarforce assembly in a Surefire 6P.

I've used it lots. You do get some light out to 200 yards or so but good usable light fades out before that. The issue is the angle of the beam. If it was narrower I'm sure it would reach farther. Last time I used it shooting it was not very effective at 200 yards in a dark wooded environment targeting steel with a laser. It will probably depend on your tube also. Mine is 3rd gen, but not the latest omni spec. This is why I showed interest in the Luna above.

It will be weeks before I have my pile of NV gear together, so I will have to wait to experience the disappointment myself!!
eek.gif
Nevertheless, I did find a PEQ-2A that will work to 200 yards here in the desert, and the modded Surefire can be used as a close-in IR floodlight if that's its only capability.

There is a nice set of through-the-PVS images on the TNVC website under the Surefire Vampire IR light. It shows illumination out past 100 yards, but it's difficult to tell whether the quality of the illumination is good enough to detect and identify people (not faces) and small critters to that distance, not just make the trees brighter.

A ratty old PEQ2A that I was using for work was easily helping me to hit E-types at 300 meters and that was on low power!

Thanks RADcustom for pointing me to the CIRIS. I just received a reply from BE Meyers that the CIRIS is available for civilian purchase at $1195 in unit quantities and can be shipped in 1-2 days.

I'd like someone to testify that they've tried one and it works as well as 100P or 200P, but I think I'm on the train to CIRISland soon.

According to the stats, it looks like it will do what the 100p will do as an illuminator. It doesn't have the ability to be sighted in as a weapon sight though.

According the the BE Meyers rep, it was intended for LE use in seeing people and reading license plates at long distances. Should be plenty good for my illumination needs (not aiming) and I'm placing an order for one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According the the BE Meyers rep, it was intended for LE use in seeing people and reading license plates at long distances. Should be plenty good for my illumination needs (not aiming) and I'm placing an order for one. </div></div>

Great, maybe you can be the first to do a write up on it.

I would really be interested in a comparison of the CIRIS Illuminator from Meyers and the Luna Optics LN-ELIR-1 Lasor Illuminator. The former going for 1200$ and the Luna for 350$.

They both appear to do the same thing. The Luna lists a max range of 1000 meters and the CIRIS 600 meters. Both much further than I can see at night, but why the BIG difference in price. Both are Illuminators and not aimers.

Not being critical as I do not have either-but would definitely be in the market for one of these.

The CIRIS illuminator has an IR LED (note the large lens on the front), while the Luna uses an IR laser diode. One is made in the US and the other in Russia or the former Soviet Union. Here's a brief comparison, the major functional difference is the variation of the IR beam width; the Luna's minimum beam width allows it to throw its smaller spot size a longer distance, while the CIRIS' larger beam size can nearly fill the FOV of the PVS-14 at its maximum:

* Adjustable beam divergence from 2.5 to 30 degrees (the FOV of a PVS-14 is 40 degrees at 1x and 13 degrees at 3x). <span style="color: #FF0000">Luna: 0.1 to 5 degrees.</span>

* Adjustable output power. <span style="color: #FF0000">Luna: 9 brightness settings (not mentioned in specs).</span>

* Can be handheld like a flashlight or rail mounted. <span style="color: #FF0000">Luna: Could be handheld at larger beam widths.</span>

* Eye-safe source (I have grandkids), LED "on" light. <span style="color: #FF0000">Luna: Eye safety not specified, no LED "on" indicator.</span>

* Uses 2x123 batteries, no operating time specified (depends on brightness). <span style="color: #FF0000">Luna: Uses 1x123 battery, 6 hours operating time.</span>

For those outside the US who might be interested in the CIRIS, its ITAR status is under review, "although there are currently export restrictions in place pending a commodity classification."

The CIRIS ($1195) and an accessory Picatinny rail mount ($180) are $1375 shipped in the US.

<span style="font-weight: bold">BE Meyers CIRIS IR illuminator</span>

CIRISilluminator.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">LUNA Optics ELIR IR illuminator</span>

LUNAIRilluminator.jpg

Wes1 stated above that the Luna has adjustable power output although on the Night Vision USA site there is no mention of this feature.

Can someone confirm this

The Luna has 9 power settings
d71f3667.jpg

2b6ddbf9.jpg

113d0904.jpg

5592f651.jpg

Like i stated above, i have "da Torch" and its good for engaging targets out to 100-150 yards and identifying out to 200-250. im looking for something to reach out farther than those ranges and at the same time effectively flooding a wide area out to 30-40 yards. the surefire is attractive just to have one unit mounted on the gun for visible and ir but dont think it will give the extended range im looking for. any ideas? is the luna able to flood out wide at close ranges?

Here's a pic of a GCP-2A/V1 100mw IR laser with rectangular window beam shaper, ARMS mount and pressure switch. It's about 6.75" long, weighs ~5 ounces, and is going to be my "long-range" illuminator.

GCP-2AIRlaser.jpg

GCP-2Alasertopview.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a pic of a GCP-2A/V1 100mw IR laser with rectangular window beam shaper, ARMS mount and pressure switch. It's about 6.75" long, weighs ~5 ounces, and is going to be my "long-range" illuminator.

GCP-2AIRlaser.jpg

GCP-2Alasertopview.jpg
</div></div> I have the same unit and love it. I use it as a aiming laser as well as for Illumination. Works great. I did swap out the ARMS mount for a Larue which is the only change I made. Just a personal preference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you get that instead of the ciris? </div></div>
No, the CIRIS will be shipping tomorrow from BE Meyers and will be used for everything out as far as it will reach. I will use the GCP-2A beyond the CIRIS' range. It's "eye safe", while the GCP-2A requires a lot of caution. I think the CIRIS is gonna be a great illuminator; the high-powered illuminators seem to be too bright if used close in, but at least the GCP does have a continuous intensity adjustment that will help keep the illumination at the right brightness level for a particular distance. I think I have all the illuminators I need now!!

I received the BE Meyers CIRIS IR illuminator this afternoon and took it out for a quick spin tonight. Over the weekend I tried out my GCP-2A (100mw IR laser) and last week I used a PEQ-2A (35mw laser illuminator). While there are street lights here in CA, there is a park across the street that has some dark areas at the back, about 200 yards from my house. This is where I have been looking with each IR illuminator and a PVS-14.

The bottom line is that the CIRIS seems to be in the same league as the others in these simple tests. In a flood mode, the illumination area is reasonably even, and the intensity control is useful when looking at details of very reflective objects. The minimum beam divergence of about 2.5 degrees seems a good fit for the PVS-14 with a 3x magnifier although the entire field of view is not illuminated.

I'll be back in NV later in the week and have much longer distances out back in the desert to run tests. So far I'm very happy with the CIRIS and it's built very well.

The CIRIS is a 1-watt IR LED and the specs in the Meyers' brochure put it roughly equivalent to the 100P IR laser in flood capability, when compared at the same beam divergence. So, IR-V, your rule of thumb, er, ah, RULES!

Glad you got the CIRIS, if it had windage and elevation knobs I would get one. Looking forward to hearing how it does at longer distances.

The brief instruction sheet says it's not meant to be mounted on a rifle, probably a mechanical limitation, so no W-E knobs are needed.

Anyone know where I can find one of those New/old stock GCPs for 300-400. Unless Im off base, they bring 1600 new.

I think the ones for $1600 at Kerif Night Vision in Las Vegas are used, not new. The company that made the GCP-2 series has been out of business for a few years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Luna Optics LN-ELIR</div></div>

Is this the only source for the luna? Maybe cheaper? </div></div>

I bought mine locally for less than that advertised price.

+ another one for the Luna.

I've got one that I swap between my scopes (two gen I units) with a picatinny adapter that I got from JagerPro.com

It's the duck's nuts and for the money will pants anything close to it in price.

I also use a lightforce 170 with IR lense and a 30w bulb and it to is bad to the bone with a focusable beam. I use it when I'm coyote controling from a barn or some fixed position. Too much crap to walk around with and be quiet. Kinda look like robo-cop with it!

No I haven't invested thousands of dollars in gen III stuff, but for about $1K; I can effectively control varmints to 300+ meters at night.

Cheers,
Southbreeze

So recently I went shooting with my D-760 (Gen3 litton). It was super cloudy(full coverage), drizzle rain, fog, and very tall forest all around. Moon was supposed to be 1/2 moon, but I guess according to the moon calender calculation it wasn't even close to rising yet. I sure as heck didn't see any sign of it. I couldn't see more than a few feet around me and had to use a flashlight for navigation.

Still, I was able to make hits on a 6" piece of steel at 120yds(paced off). It was very hard to make out. Anyway, my buddy had a 6v millenium light and an IR filter which made a HUGE difference.

First, I was wondering if this performance is to be expected?

Second, after looking at other IR lights and reading about them in this thread, I was thinking that the use of 2 separate lights might be the best. It seems that for short distances something like the surefire vampire or m1 would be perfect for seeing in a wide field of view for shorter distances. Then use something like the Luna or Da Torch for longer distances. Would this be a good idea?

Another reason I was thinking of using Something like an M1 or vampire is for battery life. Not sure on the battery life on the Luna or Da Torch, but it seems like they must be shorter than the M1 an Vampire.

Also, What's the performance of something like an old 6v millenium light with the IR cover in comparison to the Vampire?