• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Laser Rangefinder??

sigma2chi

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2010
Grovetown, GA
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Laser Rangefinder. Wondering what is the best one for $250 or less, preferrably less. Only need to range out to 800yds max.

Thanks

Re: Best Laser Rangefinder??

would snag a used one from here if anybody has a good one. AND if I'm allowed to buy one yet...SOOOO many rules about things you can't do here unless you have a certain post count I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to buy anything off of here yet :-(

You can buy anything you want, regardless of your post count (one cavat some sellers won't sell to new posters).

What you cannot do, without getting wacked, is try to sell anything with less than 100 posts.

As far a rangefinders, save a few more bucks. You can find useful rangefinders from Bushnell or Nikon new for around $300.ish Just shop around.

Bob

this choice as always comes down to the money that you have to spend - say how much money you are willing to spend and the group can tell you what is in that range. I have a Bushnell 1500 and I have gotten readings out to 1300 yards on large objects. I have got 620 yards on cows in the field and I think that is pretty representative of range finders in that price range.

Def. stay away from the Newcons. The optics are really dark, they are cloudy around the edges, and don't range very well in my limited experience with the 1500s. The target has to be pretty reflective, and you must be very steady at any distance. The Swaros I just bought are infinitely better, but then they are 3-4x the price. I would like to try out a set of the Bushnells just for comparison's sake as I have read a ton of really good things about them. But as was suggested earlier here, keep an eye in the for sale forum and pick up a Leica - I have never read anything bad about them. I am waiting for the new 1600 compacts and then I plan to pick up a set of those. Good luck with whatever you choose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csi:cyberspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Def. stay away from the Newcons. The optics are really dark, they are cloudy around the edges, and don't range very well in my limited experience with the 1500s. The target has to be pretty reflective, and you must be very steady at any distance. </div></div>

I agree with this, only i got a pair of 2500's for a guy and no optical clarity @ all, couldn't get a range past 800M.

I have an army issued Bushnell 1200 that works real good, friend of a friend gave it to me, he said that it runs arround $260ish I've ranged trees 900yds out, he told me he's ranged targets out 1500yards out. Glass isnt Leica quality but it works good IMO

as stated Swaro Laser Guides i have ranged past 1500 yards in perfect conditions to a car with them but they are out of your range the next best are Leica's the 1200's are awsome look for a seccond hand set of LRF800's they would be around your price range and kill the other new range finders in your budget otherwise a Leica LRF1200 to make sure you het readings past 800 yards in all conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an army issued Bushnell 1200 that works real good, friend of a friend gave it to me, he said that it runs arround $260ish I've ranged trees 900yds out, he told me he's ranged targets out 1500yards out. Glass isnt Leica quality but it works good IMO </div></div>

My Bushnell Elite 1500 LRF from the bargin cave at Cabelas was in the $190 range and I've gotten a max of 1200m on reflective buildings, 1050-1150m on trees and gravel pits on a very clear day...and 1000m on steel. ALSO NOT LEICA quality, but good enough for the women I run with.

THANKS for all the help guys.. Guess I'll be looking for Leica or Bushnell. Don't really need it go past 800yds. Just want a good reading off of any type of surface in that range distance

you are mistaken. You will want to go past 800 yards. The further you go, the further you go. Worst adiction I have.

Man you guys got a serious Gopher problem over there in Chester!! Been meaning to take a trip over there and burn up some ammo..... sorry off subject.

I have the newcon 7X50 1500 lr bino and they are so clear! But yeah, the furthest I've ever hit a tree was at 1100 yds. I'm really eyeballin the bushnell 1600 arc. I've read some good reviews on it, plus I just like using one device to spot and range.

Newcon ? Never even heard of them.IMO,the best are Swaro,Leica,and Zeiss.You should be able to find great deals on used Leicas since the new 1600CRF is coming out soon,I have also used the Bushnell 1500,not bad at all for the money.Keep away from the Loopy RX series.Pretty bad when a tech from the company tells you;"there is nothing good I can say about these".

LEICA CRF 1600 WITH BUIT IN BALLISTIC PROGRAM SHOULD BE OUT LATE SUMMER.

I have used a bushnell 1500 and it worked well... didnt really test it extensively, however out to about 600 meters it was accurate to within 1 meter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sigma2chi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any thoughts on Nikon? </div></div>

The first rangefinder I bought was a Nikon Monarch 800 and it ranged accurately at shorter ranges but I couldn't get it to consistently range a deer past 400 yds. Then I bought a Swarovski and wondered why I wasted my time and money with the Nikon.

I really like the Leupold RX-1000 especially with the red illuminated reticle. I like it better than Leica crf. The Leica seemed to be very tough to get a good measurement in snow along with the read out hard to see.

They're suppose to be expensive,(The case is made of cantafordium) around $800 should compare well with the Zeiss. I've never regretted buying my Leica 1200 as you can carry it in your shirt pocket easily and it's very reliable

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like the Leupold RX-1000 especially with the red illuminated reticle. I like it better than Leica crf. The Leica seemed to be very tough to get a good measurement in snow along with the read out hard to see. </div></div>

A Leupold Rangefinder being compared to a Leica??? This is like waving a red flag at a bull.If this RX-1000 is anything remotely like that overpriced,non ranging,Chicom made,POS RXIV,Frosted with Bullshit that was the Top of the Line for Loopy,Trashed by their own techs to boot;"there is nothing good I can say about these".Verbatim from a Loopy Tech.

That RX-1000 had better have three times the performance to even come close to a Bushnell.My RXIV got sold to an Archery Hunter after a fellow SH member convinced me that selling it was a better alternative to my plans of just using it for target practice.

I had no problem at all ranging magpies and crows in the snow last January in 15 degree weather with my Leica 1200CRF.Or coyotes coming from 800yds across a snow covered wheat field.

I had a Leupold RXIV Brush camo couldn't get passed 650yds on sunny days sold it after 1 week.

bought the leica rangemaster 1200 best of all ranging to 1200 up today by any climate condition.

over the leica is swarovsky for the range limit.

Leica CRF 1200 is so small !!!

Think the Leica may be a tad out of my price range. Probably gonna go with the Bushnell

If you want something really out of your price range, check out the Vector 23, their website says its good to out to I think 20 or 25 Kilometers.

I'll swap you my vector iv for a good m4orgery. That's gotta be the bargain of the century for you. Only problem is you'd need to convince Australian customs to let me have it
smile.gif

That would suck donkey balls to have gun restrictions that bad. California cant be too far off though. I imagine that Supreme Court case decided this week will help things out a bit though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sigma2chi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would suck donkey balls to have gun restrictions that bad. California cant be too far off though. I imagine that Supreme Court case decided this week will help things out a bit though </div></div>

The thing is with the CA laws is just like NY, only a handfull are actually really bad, the rest are just retarded and make no sense.

Heres one for you, in regards to ARs, you can have an AR with all the features you want, collapsing stocks, bayo lugs, flash hiders, pistol grips. However you must install a device called a bullet button which makes it so you have to use something like a pen or bullet tip to remove your magazine, also you cannot use a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. Or, you can have an AR with no features at all, no bayo lug, no pistol grip, fixed stock, then you are allowed to use 30 round mags with the normal mag release.

Its totally retarded, not one bit of it based in reality at all, same with the handgun roster and the law regarding magazines with capacity greater than 10 rounds.

I dig your sig, I've always believed some of the best officers were those who were enlisted first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rero360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dig your sig, I've always believed some of the best officers were those who were enlisted first. </div></div>

Mustang!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rero360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dig your sig, I've always believed some of the best officers were those who were enlisted first. </div></div>

Mustang! </div></div>

much appreciated gentlemen. I concur.

I have owned many rangefinders but what I have found from practical use and my own research is that the Leica’s are the best rangefinders on the market. If I was to just judge glass quality zeiss and swarovski would be a major game player but since the main purpose is giving you accurate ranges to the target at hand without having to guess the distance from your target to the group of trees or shrubs nearest your target and do the simple math in your head while time can be critical Leica is the best on the market.

It comes down to the electronics that puts Leica ahead of all the other manufacturers along with their superb glass quality. All of the rangefinders produce a laser that actually leaves the rangefinder not in a flat beam but rather a cone. The cone angle or better yet the diameter of the beam becomes greater at greater distances. Leica produces a beam roughly half the diameter of even the other high-end glassmakers. It has been a while since I have looked at the data but a rough estimate to put things in perspective is that at 500 yards the competitors produce a beam aprox 36 inches in diameter and Leica’s is aprox 18 inches. Double the distance and you see how large the diameters get.

Knowing this assume you are lying prone on relatively flat terrain and you are trying to range a 500-yard target 24 inches tall. Non-Leica models will be looking at reflections from the target and beyond the target while Leica models can focus it’s entire beam on the target.

Under the same scenario the more important concern is since you are prone and only lets say ten inches form the ground at eye level the beam makes contact to the ground prior to the target creating a confusing reading for the rangefinder. Again Leica producing a much tighter beam decreases this problem greatly.

Unfortunately I am always long winded but continue to put your money in a safe place and hold out for a Leica. If you want accurate reading and decrease your frustration it is worth the wait. A few years ago Accurate Rifle Magazine had a great article explaining all of this better than I can but I can’t recall which year and Volume it was in.

Consider this, I had a problem with a CRF 1200 that quite ranging reliably past a few hundred yards, and sent it in to Leica with no proof of purchase or anything, figured I'd have to pay to get it fixed.

Got a brand new one back in the mail, total turnaround less that 10 days.

So I think the CRF 1200 rocks.