• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Light Weight Hunting Rifle

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I want a light weight hunting rifle for mountain hunting taking animals up to elk size.

What rifle for would you recommend and caliber?

Re: Best Light Weight Hunting Rifle

I just finished my personal mt rifle, I choose to build it off a Rem700 that we surface ground to cut some weight off of. Used a #3 lijia barrel fluted it .090 and the barrel is 22", Im putting it in a carbon fiber Lazoroni Thumbhole stock by McMillian. The cal I choose was the 7mmSAUM going to be shooting the 140gr TTSX. To me this will be the ultimate mt rifle! Being a rifle builder I could build anything I wanted and this is what I came up with. This setup wont be some long range hammer but for a light weight rifle I think this will work great for me.

Budget?
Recoil sensitivity?
Experience with stalking-weight guns?

Without these answers, I'm a huge fan of Tikka's T3 Lite. For elk, I prefer a 300WM.

I had a 300WM in Tikka T3, it was a butter-smooth action, very accurate, and generated a fair bit of recoil. For stalking, it was perfect.

On the "cons" list, the bottom "metal" isn't metal, the stock ain't my favorite, and magazine is plastic. I haven't broken any of the above, but it is a concern.

There are now a few companies that sell after-market parts of Tikka, so you can swap out anything you don't like.

For the money, there is no better deal.

Kimber Montana 84m 300wsm, I believe they are currently one of the lightest production rifles, that is what I planned on using had I drawn a dall sheep tag this year.

T/C Venture in .270 is a great little rifle for a great price. Accuracy is Great for a light weight rifle.

R u planning on building one or buying one. I built a 280 AI that weighs under 9 lbs. scoped bipod loaded. It shoots 168 bergers at 3015 fps. I think any 7 or 30 caliber r your best light weight mountain pack rifles for elk. The short mags and standard 300 and 7mm are great I just was looking for a little less recoil with good performance out to 1000 yards.

I am fine with up to .300 win mag for recoil.
I would prefer to buy one off the shelf
I would like to stay under a grand for the gun with no optics.

Tikka T3 definitely. You could spend 2-3x more on a custom rifle and wouldn't be gaining much. They are only ~$700.

I have one in with a heavy barrel in an XLR chassis stock with all the bells and whistles, and one in stock form for hunting, and actually really like the plastic stock. It is far superior to any other factory plastic stock I've handled. Pretty rigid, has a nice feel. Plus the rifles are LIGHT. Get a Limbsaver if you are getting anything with recoil. My 6.5x55 is lightweight, accurate, and the action is so smooth. It is my favorite all around rifle.
-Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tikka T3 definitely. You could spend 2-3x more on a custom rifle and wouldn't be gaining much. They are only ~$700.

I have one in with a heavy barrel in an XLR chassis stock with all the bells and whistles, and one in stock form for hunting, and actually really like the plastic stock. It is far superior to any other factory plastic stock I've handled. Pretty rigid, has a nice feel. Plus the rifles are LIGHT. Get a Limbsaver if you are getting anything with recoil. My 6.5x55 is lightweight, accurate, and the action is so smooth. It is my favorite all around rifle.
-Dan </div></div>

What is the weight of your T3 in the XLR? Seems like a great overlooked action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRSDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tikka T3 definitely. You could spend 2-3x more on a custom rifle and wouldn't be gaining much. They are only ~$700.

-Dan </div></div>

What is the weight of your T3 in the XLR? Seems like a great overlooked action.
</div></div>

The actions themselves may not be any lighter than the other stuff, but I still think they are a better choice than a Rem or Savage. They are buttery smooth, have a solid top for rigidity, and just a good feel to them. No clunkiness whatsoever.

EDIT: Oh and it weighs 13.5 lbs with a 21" Med. Palma barrel and Vortex PST

I can't believe no one mentioned the Model 70 Featherweight.

My elk gun is a Featherweight in 270. Plenty enough for elk and low recoil for a Featherweight mountain rifle.

I've got a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 270win. It weighs 8.4 lbs with scope (Leupold 3-9 x 40). A 140 gr pill is enough for elk at modest distances (up to 250 or so), and further if you have the skill. That light gun kicks like a mule and the groups open up when the barrel heats up. But, on a still day, with hand loads, and time between shots to keep the barrel temp reasonable it will keep 5 inside of a quarter at 100 off of sand. When you only need one shot, that light rifle sure is a pleasure to carry around.

If I had it to do over again, I would get a rifle with a detachable mag. I think Remington offers a Mountain rifle with a detachable mag...

I'll take a Montana...

IMAG0509.jpg

100MEDIAIMAG0471.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UEP2RAcJW7Y&feature=plcp"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UEP2RAcJW7Y&feature=plcp" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I run the Steyr Mountain Rifle in 270. Light enough to carry all day without issue. Super smooth action- awesome 2 stage trigger- amazing accuracy. Dropped a nice elk cow at 315yds last year running a 130 Interbond. A really great all around hunting rig!

7mm Hart Long Range Hunter for Distance:
photo6.jpg

.260 TI/Edge for shorter range pursuits
100_0541.jpg

My vote would go for a Sako Finn Light or Cooper for a factory rifle or GAP non-typical if your budget will allow.

How about a ultra traditional European mountain rifle? A kipplauf single shot rifle? :)

I think the Blaser K95 is the most popular in Europe at the moment for rituel mountain hunting in the Alps. 7mm rem mag would be my choice.

The kipplauf rifles are extremely easy packing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1a convert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want a light weight hunting rifle for mountain hunting taking animals up to elk size.

What rifle for would you recommend and caliber?</div></div>

Kimber Montana 84M in .308 (with 155 scenars)

Or, if you want a mag,

Kimber 8400 in 7mmWSM

I have two lightweight (6.5-6.7lb) bolt actions
Nosler TGR in 280 Ackley, been shooting 140 ABs in it but will probably try some 160s and have that as my Elk rifle

Cooper in 25-06 for Texas Whitetails