• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Long Range Cartridge

LtColRet

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2021
Wyoming
Looking to build a long range sniper type rifle, but having trouble deciding on the best round to use. Currently thinking of either the .375 Cheytec, .338 Edge, .300 Win Mag, or the .338 RUM. I’m new to the long range game and all these cartridges seem pretty similar in performance. Looking for some thoughts on why one is better than the others. Thanks

What do you consider long range?

The .375 will be the best for ELR but not needed until you get out to 2-2.5k yards or more. If you consider long range to be 1000-1500 yards I would look at different calibers all together.

Last edited:
Platforms are very different, what are you going to use it for and will you carry it? How far are you realistically taking shots? Do you need a lot of energy for terminal performance?

A 300 win mag or 300 PRC is my sweet spot for performance vs no longer portable.

I wouldn't want to carry a 375C farther than truck to range spot.

If you think about the action first:

Smaller Action: .300WM, 6.5PRC, .300PRC
Larger Action: .300NM, .338NM, .338LM

All above are generally good to a mile.

Reactions: j-huskey
Currently, without jumping in headfirst on a new build, consider the availability-or lack thereof of components.

What ranges will you likely be shooting the most and what do you plan to use the rifle for?

While bigger is better in spotting hits/misses as the distance increases, would a 300 WM/PRC probably fill most of your needs?

I'm assuming that you reload, once again availability and cost of quality ammunition suitable for LR/ELR is another can of worms altogether!

Then there's optics...

Pretty Vague question.
You ok with the costs involved with the bigger cartridges?
What is your desired ranges?
You thought about he current components predicament?
You ok with the increase in recoil and shock?

It’s an issue of price vs performance in my opinion. 300 WM and 300 PRC are going to be best performance for the $$$.

If stepping up to a 338, the Lapua really makes the most sense in regards to platform and component availability.

If you have the budget the 375 Cheytac is a great system. You’re not going to enjoy shooting it at less than 1000 yards for practice, it really is built for ELR.

If you have the budget the 375 Cheytac is a great system. You’re not going to enjoy shooting it at less than 1000 yards for practice, it really is built for ELR.

Agreed.

.375CT and similar are really for when you're going beyond 2000m and they're a step up in size overall. You'll probably need a new press, 1-1/4" dies, throwing 130g+ of powder, etc. With the intermediate cartridges up to .338LM/NM you're still fine with your normal short/long action reloading gear.

Out of curiosity sake, why do you put the .300WM in there with the others?
Not sure if this is for me or OP, but...
People focus on the latest and greatest but the 300WM has been a solid performer to a mile or more for a very long time. That was before the higher BC bullets available today.

If money and availability of components are no issue, I like the 300 PRC. But, if starting out, the market for 300WM is much better in every way.

80% of the cost and 97% of the performance.

People focus on the latest and greatest but the 300WM has been a solid performer to a mile or more for a very long time. That was before the higher BC bullets available today.

If money and availability of components are no issue, I like the 300 PRC. But, if starting out, the market for 300WM is much better in every way.

It's for the OP.

Reactions: Old Man with Gun
If you have a good, strong, healthy shoulder... Go with the 300WM..... I'm figuring around $3 / round, one way or another to feed....

Good health and a deep pocket book should get you out 1,000 yards.

I am going to go with why choose just hoard all of them but I am a gun whore I want them all anyway . I have no idea what's best but for the ranges I have to shoot at either my 6.5 does all that I need it to and more , my last barrel ran 7250 round life span and except the last 50 it was spectacular . It's not a 308 with it's barrel life around 60k rounds maybe more , but with the short action in my mdt I am planning to go 7mm saum and use the same chassis for both for me that's a really nice bonus to be able to do that , While I highly doubt it's the best idea for everyone It just fits my idea or maybe being able to get to Kansas and shooting at a 3,600 yard range before I die maybe (my idea of Shangri-La or paradice ) . I still have not managed to make it to Ohio either and see thunder valley and there 1 mile or more if they extend the range . I am hopping that happens this summer or next . Or at least make it back up to mifflin in pa to shoot on there 1k range either of the two would be nice . best of luck finding your perfect round hope you can find it and enjoy it . yea the creedmoor did fire 7,250 rounds and I never said my 308 has 60k down the barrel on I was thinking that could be the aproxamit life span of a 308 maybe , if they get more I don't know mine is only around 10k shot through it .

Last edited:
Out of curiosity sake, why do you put the .300WM in there with the others?
Because all the coolest armchair and interwebz snipers use them... Didn't you know that if you don't have a 6.5CM and a .300WM you ain't shit? That's what every gun counter employee at Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Gander Mountain says...

9 months and 3 posts...I smell pork trying to be all incognito on the gun forums... He wants himself a "sniper type rifle"... 🤣

Looking to build a long range sniper type rifle, but having trouble deciding on the best round to use. Currently thinking of either the .375 Cheytec, .338 Edge, .300 Win Mag, or the .338 RUM. I’m new to the long range game and all these cartridges seem pretty similar in performance. Looking for some thoughts on why one is better than the others. Thanks

None of those are good options for building long range shooting skills when starting out.

Reactions: 308pirate
I would let your specific AO and use case dictate what class of cartridge. I'd also Have a stragegy for getting reps on a lower cost platform. We're all supposedly still novices until we run 10,000 reps...so run the cost-per-shot wit 4 zeroes :ROFLMAO: before making a final selction.

I am going to go with why choose just hoard all of them but I am a gun whore I want them all anyway . I have no idea what's best but for the ranges I have to shoot at either my 6.5 does all that I need it to and more , my last barrel ran 7250 round life span and except the last 50 it was spectacular . It's not a 308 with it's barrel life around 60k rounds maybe more
You have a 6.5 Creedmoor that went to 7,250 rounds? And a 308 at 60,000 rounds? Let's hear more about this.

Excellent response, and matches my experiences. I'm constantly waffling back and forth between which I prefer out to a mile ... my MPA-300WM, or my Barrett MRAD 300-PRC. Oh, and BTW, your biggest problem isn't making the decision ... it's finding reloading supplies and components for whatever you choose. Everything about reloading right now is a "walk in the forest" hoping you stumble across what you need either by devine providence, or blind-ass luck.

Reactions: Old Man with Gun

Save yourself a lot of heartache and try a 6.5 Creedmoor first. Learn the ropes on a cartridge that doesn't cost 5-15 dollars a round in a rifle that isn't obscenely large, concussive, and expensive.

After you feel competent and start pushing the limitations of a 6.5 Creedmoor at 800-1400yd, start researching the big rifle-- if you still think it's worth your time. As far as that goes, IMO the easy button is 300 PRC, and the next step up I'd take is .375CT.

Save yourself a lot of heartache and try a 6.5 Creedmoor first. Learn the ropes on a cartridge that doesn't cost 5-15 dollars a round in a rifle that isn't obscenely large, concussive, and expensive.

After you feel competent and start pushing the limitations of a 6.5 Creedmoor at 800-1400yd, start researching the big rifle-- if you still think it's worth your time. As far as that goes, IMO the easy button is 300 PRC, and the next step up I'd take is .375CT.
👆... what he said !!!

Because all the coolest armchair and interwebz snipers use them... Didn't you know that if you don't have a 6.5CM and a .300WM you ain't shit? That's what every gun counter employee at Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Gander Mountain says...

9 months and 3 posts...I smell pork trying to be all incognito on the gun forums... He wants himself a "sniper type rifle"... 🤣
Clearly though, 6.5G > *

Shit, just go all the way to real ELR

1635436821220.png

I roll all my own centerfire cartridges... Got plenty of components for it, but starting to run low-ish (for me) on primers. I don't like to fall below a few thousand of each type.
I like you, you can have relations with my sister, just slide some of that 6.5 good good my way. :p