• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best long range factory gas gun?

freedom71

Lawprof
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
Raleigh NC
I have a nice custom-built bolt-action in 6.5 Creedmoor (APO carbon stock, Mausingfield action, Hawk Hill 24" barrel) that I've used with in PRS-style competitions. Because of its size and weight, it's getting more difficult to handle as I get older (I'm 67). I'd like to get a gas gun with a 18-22" barrel that's a few pounds lighter. I want something I still could compete with on an occasional basis, so the gas gun needs to be accurate enough for 1000 yard shots. But the gun's main purpose would be more combat-style shooting (accuracy, reliability, repeatability) when training at the range for, God-forbid, a SHTF scenario. I prefer 6.5 over .308/7.62, but it would be nice if I could have interchangeable barrels. I want a factory build. Price also is a consideration, but I'm willing to buy once, cry once.

Here's what I'm considering at this point:

KAC SR-25 PR 7.62
FN SCAR 20S 7.62 (FN might sell interchangeable 6.5 barrel assemblies at some point in the future)
LMT-MARS 6.5 or MLK-MWS 7.62 (I think barrels easily can be interchanged on both LMTs)
Larue PredatOBR 6.5 or 7.62

Factors in order of importance: weight, accuracy, reliability, availability, price, ease of use. Any other suggestions not on the list?

I have the closer ranges covered with a .223 14" AR and a couple of SBRs.

I know this topic has been discussed at various times on the Hide and I've read many of those threads, but I wanted to get up-to-date views based on my particular situation.

Thanks ahead of time for sharing your wisdom and experience!

I’d go LMT in 6.5 purely for the ballistic advantage over 7.62/308 win however I would grab a 16” 308 barrel for quick change if the situation calls for it. The quick caliber change and LMTs general rep for quality overcome the bit of extra weight associated with the MWS. Acquire spare parts also.

Best system, best value for your stated use, IMO.

The Wilson Super Sniper in 6.5 CM would be solid. I wish they had a 6 ARC on the shelf with my name on it. You can get a 338LM in a semi but I'm not interested in that. I would be interested in a 6.5 PRC gas gun...

LMT MWS MLOK or SLK8 (slick) with the MARS lower.
-Monolithic upper
-Solid as fuck system
-SS barrels are lasers
-CL barrels are also lasers but not as laser-ish as the laser SS ones lol
-barrel swap is all of a minute with only requiring the manipulation of two bolts
-pop an RRS plate just in front of the mag well and you’re set for tripod use
-super fast and easy caliber and system (DI/Piston) swaps
-Maintenance/deep cleaning is actually enjoyable because of the quick barrel removal setup

I’ll never own or buy another gasser that isn’t an LMT system. That said, if I had to, I’d go old school OBR. If I couldn’t go old school OBR, I’d try the PredOBR. If I couldn’t do that, I’d go KAC. If I couldn’t do that, I wouldn’t bother 😂

Personally I don’t like the SCAR platform. Owned a 16 (Actually traded my scar for my LMT) and shot a lot of the 17 but never the 20, just don’t like it. Maybe I’m weird but 🤷🏻 They are accurate for what they are, but I’d take a KAC MK11 before I went SCAR. My OBR was a laser but I was an idiot and sold it for no fuckin reason...other than for being an idiot.

All of that aside, all of the heavy gassers you listed are exactly that...heavy. If weight and maneuvering is a factor, just keep with a 556 platform. The LMT MRP has you covered with a 556 fast switch between a LR platform and close in work.

Too bad you're looking for a unicorn now. The LMT MWS would be right up your alley. Good luck finding one. I am a Scar fan and those can be found at the moment. Scheels had a wall of them yesterday. The 6.5 or 308 mk 20's. They are expensive and a bit heavy but I prefer them. I recently cut my 308 mk20 to 18" and absolutely love it. Lighter, better balance, softened the recoil, and best of all my accuracy improved. I've had it out to 1000 no problem. I haven't shot my 6.5cm yet as I'm waiting for a zco to come in. If they had an LMT MWS in stock though I would snag one. Much cheaper and an excellent system. Multi cal is a great feature. I have an MRP that is my favorite ar15 I've ever had.

JP makes some great accurate rifles as well. They will be “factory” but custom to what specs you want.

the scar 20s is the most accurate based on what i have seen, and is extremely soft shooting with a surefire brake, making it easy to shoot well, but it is also very heavy so not sure it would be your choice.

while all are capable of hitting targets at 1000 yards, none of them seem to group well with 7.62x51mm vs 6.5CM because of basic ballisticcs, so that is also a factor if you are serious about 1000+.

*if you get a newer Scar 20S in 7.62x51mm, i hear they have a 1:10 twist, which may increase the range as spin rate will be better.
unfortunately there isn't a lot of feedback on them yet.

Last edited:
The LMT’s aren’t hard to find, it’s just that they are bringing a premium price. Pay to play or sit on the sidelines. The last one I bought I paid $1600, long gone are those prices.

There’s a canteen green 308 on gb with a buy now price of $5300 if it hasn’t already sold.

For a SHTF situation? Unless you are out in the middle of no where who are you going to be engaging out that far? You still have to identify your target and there is no way you will be claiming self defense out that far.

If you just want a gas gun for long range (you mentioned price) LMT is the way to go. The problem is going to be availability. You might get lucky on the PX.

Seekins, LMT and LaRue are all 6+ months for new rifles (not sure about KAC). Check the PX here (make a WTB thread) and check the EE on AR15.com.

Reactions: Jsp556

There’s 2 in 2 minutes looking.

Reactions: Marker36
If you're looking for precision, stay away from KAC. I know, I know...I get it. I own a few KAC rifles, they are glorious, but they are not precision rifles.

OP - look to JP, GAP, Seekins or LMT. Depending upon budget, I'd mostly look to Seekins.

I just picked up a SCAR 20 but it's in 7.62. I need to grab another one in CM. They just aren't out in the wild like the 7.62's. I will say that my 17's are very accurate, so I would love to believe that the 20 will perform the same, if not better. I just can't recommend it at this point.

From your list I'd go with an LMT. The range owner of my previous local range double-tapped a torso-sized target at 1,000 yards with an LMT 6.5.

The LMT’s aren’t hard to find, it’s just that they are bringing a premium price. Pay to play or sit on the sidelines. The last one I bought I paid $1600, long gone are those prices.

There’s a canteen green 308 on gb with a buy now price of $5300 if it hasn’t already sold.
Yea they are...go find a 6.5cm gun for less than 4k, hell, find a 6.5 barrel for less than 1.5k.

Lmt shit is unobtanium and retarded expesnive when you can find it unless you want 1+ year backorders with no delivery estimates.