• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing best long range yote caliber

coyoteslayercj

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
South Dakota
I've been looking into a different rifle for those coyotes that like to sit down and annoy the heck out a person around that 600+ range. Now with most tournaments limiting caliber size to less than .25, anyone tell me the best caliber to reach that distance, preferably atleast 800yds with a prayer. Thanks

Re: best long range yote caliber

I want to build it on a Ruger M77 kroeger barrel, hopefully someday suppressed. I read up on the 243 wssm but sounded like a real barrel burner

i didn't think the .243's were too bad, the .223 i heard was though, maybe just a 243 then, .257 Roberts?

it has to be basically 6mm or smaller bullet. heard of ppl with 220 AI pushing 60 gr bullets to over 4000 fps, dont know if this is possible with the right barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coyoteslayercj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was thinking about just a 243, just doesn't seem to exciting... </div></div> Doesn't sound exciting? WTF? have you not shot one sir? Weekend before last I hammered a 18 inch steel three or four times in a row at 1160yds, boringly accurate and repeatable. A good .243 built right and loaded properly will far exceed your requirements, hell, my .223 will do that.

thats impressive, I used to have a used one but barrel didnt last long after i had it. You think chances are good to hit an eight inch dong at that range?

Great shooting CBM! Are you using a factory or custom? I have a few factories .243's they are all deadly accurate - but I haven't stretched their legs out that far yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coyoteslayercj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been looking into a different rifle for those coyotes that like to sit down and annoy the heck out a person around that 600+ range. Now with most tournaments limiting caliber size to less than .25, anyone tell me the best caliber to reach that distance, preferably atleast 800yds with a prayer. Thanks </div></div>

borderdogs008.jpg

I like this one a lot. Surgeon 591 in 6XC. 115gr VLD's at 3000fps. I've taken 431 coyotes with it to date. 76 of those have been over 400 meters. Many of those 76 have been shot between 800 and 1200 meters.

Believe it when someone says a .243 is an excellent longrange coyote round.

sixdogs002.jpg

The coyote on the right in this picture was taken at 963 meters with the above rifle. After calling the pair in to 200 meters and getting an easy shot there the other one finally stopped to look back when he thought it was safe.

5dogday004.jpg

Five from the same stand, with two of these over 500 meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coyoteslayercj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats impressive, I used to have a used one but barrel didnt last long after i had it. You think chances are good to hit an eight inch <span style="font-weight: bold">dong</span> at that range? </div></div>

wink.gif
whatever floats you boat buddy, I'd say on an eight incher, you'd probably have a 50/50 chance. Depends on the girth of the particular dong in question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Radar86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great shooting CBM! Are you using a factory or custom? I have a few factories .243's they are all deadly accurate - but I haven't stretched their legs out that far yet. </div></div>

Gun in question was a DTA SRS, and I was shooting factory DTM ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> After calling the pair in to 200 meters and getting an easy shot there the other one finally stopped to look back when he <span style="font-weight: bold">thought</span> it was safe.
</div></div>

Nice of you to show up Pat, but there really aren't any safe coyotes around you and the XC are there?

Impressive numbers mate!

never heard of a 6xc but definately going to check it out, would like to have a 243 again, didnt know if i wanted to spend alot to build one though, you both sound like better shots than I but working on that. I did manage to shot a whitetail at 773 yds with my old 243 so you guys are right about it being a decent long range rifle. Thanks for the help guys

thinking of mounting a nightforce nxs 8-32x56, comments? never built a custom gun, so want to do it right the first time

Personally I would be happier with the 5.5-22x50, but I'm not you. In my opinion, 22 power is plenty for that .243 and coyotes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coyoteslayercj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to build it on a Ruger M77 kroeger barrel, hopefully someday suppressed. I read up on the 243 wssm but sounded like a real barrel burner</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coyoteslayercj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it has to be basically 6mm or smaller bullet. heard of ppl with 220 AI pushing 60 gr bullets to over 4000 fps, dont know if this is possible with the right barrel?
</div></div>

and your worried about a 6mm will be a barrel burner?

105 6mm is hard to beat

I thought we killed alot of coyotes! Geez, very impressive shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coyoteslayercj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been looking into a different rifle for those coyotes that like to sit down and annoy the heck out a person around that 600+ range. Now with most tournaments limiting caliber size to less than .25, anyone tell me the best caliber to reach that distance, preferably atleast 800yds with a prayer. Thanks </div></div>

borderdogs008.jpg

I like this one a lot. Surgeon 591 in 6XC. 115gr VLD's at 3000fps. I've taken 431 coyotes with it to date. 76 of those have been over 400 meters. Many of those 76 have been shot between 800 and 1200 meters.

Believe it when someone says a .243 is an excellent longrange coyote round.

sixdogs002.jpg

The coyote on the right in this picture was taken at 963 meters with the above rifle. After calling the pair in to 200 meters and getting an easy shot there the other one finally stopped to look back when he thought it was safe.

5dogday004.jpg

Five from the same stand, with two of these over 500 meters.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I would be happier with the 5.5-22x50, but I'm not you. In my opinion, 22 power is plenty for that .243 and coyotes. </div></div>

yup...yup

+1 for the tried and trued .243

55gr @ 3500+ for chucks, 100-115 @ 3000+ for just about anything else. It is also a very efficient cartridge with readily available and cheap factory ammo. Should see longer barrel life than the hot 6mm's (wssm, AI).

If you want an exciting round, I suggest anything with explosive ammo.

6mm or .243, either one is very good. I like the 6mm best but its a coin toss either way and you can shoot deer and antelope with them as well.

What is this barrel life stuff everyone keeps talking about? LOL. I started with 22-250ai's and recently made the switch to 22-243. It's not as long winded as th 6mm's, but it ain't bad. An 80 Berger vld at 3500 is a wonderful thing...

Not as hardcore as a .22-243, but my .223WSSM AR-15 will push a 65gr Gameking @ 3500+ and a 75grainer @ 3300+ from a fast twist 22" Shilen. Considering the 'short' tube and "boom boom boom" feeding, it should make for a pretty badazz short---> almost long range calling rifle...

Anything beyond that, my 115DTAC launcher of choice is a straight up .243...

bigdog001.jpg

My oldest son, holding up a nice big male taken with a GAP .260 at 343 meters. That cartridge should be thrown in the mix.

skinney, that's my Vector 21....

double001.jpg

The one on the left was 419 meters, the one on the right was 561 meters. GAP Crusader in .260. 139gr scenar @ 2850fps. I've taken 201 coyotes with this rifle.

Crusader260002.jpg

From a few days back. This rifle hammers!

Man those are some nice Western Heavies. Wide and clear. Nice work Pat.

xdeano

I have heard of some out of state (out of SD) contests going to 25cal or less but i haven't been any in SD that have that rule..

I am a fan of my .220 Swifts, although I have used many, many calibers while cruising the ranch.

For dogs I opt for the 25-06 with 100g rounds. Fast, flat, hits pretty hard. My rifle is a little picky but I found a consistent factory load.

I shoot 87 Bergers at just under 3600 FPS out of my 6mmAI, but the majority of my shooting is less than 500 yards.

While I own a 25-06 and is one of my favorite varmint guns, I dont think its AS capable as the .243 for long range. Through no fault of its own, the bullet selection in .257 lacks the high BC bullets in a heavy for caliber weight. I assume its because of not enough demand, I've been dreaming of a 125-130 grain Amax or SMK for a long time. That would turn the quarter bore into an exciting new realm. (I'm thinkin a fast twist 25WSSM)

thanks for all the info guys, after seeing all of this i think i might not be worthy of my screen name... Have a 25-06 that i love, and Copper 91 your right havent seen a tournament in SD yet that had that rule, just thinking ahead.

"105 6mm is hard to beat"

While my kill numbers are no where near those of some others I can say that a heavy 6mm pushed to around 3000fps is very serious coyote medicine. You can tear up fur but they will be dead on the spot.
I burned up two barrels on my .243 using light bullets and fast powder. I have found the heavier bullets and slow powder to be a lot easier on the bore.
As a lot of posters know the heavy 6mm bullets buck the wind pretty well and have some good BCs.

I've been having great results with my 6mm Creedmoor firing the 105 BTHP w/ amp jacket. I'm hitting about 3050 fps. Lung shots are dropping them where they stand.

First things first. Do you reload??? There are a ton of .243/6mm wildcats that are great if you do.

Otherwise .243 Win and 6mm Rem are pretty tough to beat in factory loads

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rebelbell24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot 87 Bergers at just under 3600 FPS out of my 6mmAI, but the majority of my shooting is less than 500 yards. </div></div>

That's scootin. Bet it works great. I've been pleased with the results with those out of my 243AI 10 twist out to 850.

I recently had Keith at PCR build me a 22-6mm ackley. This rifle was built specifically for coyote hunting. I am running a 20" barrel with a 30-p thunderbeast suppressor. Right now I am getting a shade over 3600 with 75gr amax's.

I live on the eastern plains of colorado. The ground is pretty flat, and you can see a long ways. I wanted a caliber that was flat as possible. (and my buddy had the reamer)

This rifle is perfect for me. Short, fast and handy. I am sure the barrel life will be very short, but thats the trade off.

A 243 or 243AI would be my choice. Short action with an 8 twist barrel. The 115 Berger Hunting VLD will get to 800 like a laser and absolutely drop a coyote. There is a video on youtube.com of a guy dropping one with a 243 and a 105 Berger VLD at around 1100 yards first shot.

yeah i reload, i already have dies for a 243 also. Some might think im crazy but i just got rid of my dpms arctic panther and picked up a savage 223. I had alright groups with the ar but this savage is a tac driver shooting 1/2" groups at two hundred. I havent even messed with loads yet...

I don't blame you for selling an AR for a bolt. Been thinking about doing the same since the MPV came out. Like other posters, unless you want to go big(magnum, long action, etc), I would, and have been thinking about a .243 for the same purpose. Other thoughts were a fast twist 204 with the 50-55 gr hornady, or a 6.5Grendel with a long barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
bigdog001.jpg

My oldest son, holding up a nice big male taken with a GAP .260 at 343 meters. That cartridge should be thrown in the mix.

skinney, that's my Vector 21....</div></div>

there are some kills on the predator hunting supressed 2 video @ 500+ with a .260

what are you guys doing with the hides..????... last one i shot was a big male....nice.... furbuyer offered me 5$ for it....
bill larson

I would recomend a .243. I use a .204, but I won't engage targets at the distances you are interested in achieving. All of the .243's I have shot have performed excellent at extended ranges.