• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best low price AR-15 trigger?

Sweetyzfd

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
NY - Southern Tier
I have a JP 20" upper. Looking for a decent replacement trigger on a bushy lower. The stock trigger is horrible. Looking for a trigger that won't break the bank. For varmints and paper.

Thanks,
Dave

+1 on ALG trigger. I just installed one on a build this morning and have others. Cant beat it for the money.

The rock river national match with the 3 1/2 lb spring is pretty nice.

I have a JP 20" upper. Looking for a decent replacement trigger on a bushy lower. The stock trigger is horrible. Looking for a trigger that won't break the bank. For varmints and paper.

Thanks,
Dave

In order to solicit good suggestions, it would be helpful to know the price range you're interested in. "Low price" and "won't break the bank" are fairly subjective parameters. Do you prefer two stage or single stage? Are you tech savvy and can install a multi-piece system or would a drop in, modular system be better suited? There are A LOT of AR triggers out there:)

Last edited:
I agree. I knew I should have been more specific. Looking for a trigger $100 or less. Not really sure if I want a single or 2 stage and yes I can install it myself

Send your trigger to Bill Springfield. Will cost less than $50. I've tried the trigger springs and end up with light strikes. The ALG is like a worn in mil spec. Still heavy but smooth. Not what I call a good trigger. My Bill Springfield trigger job compares with my timney.

My favorite cheap trigger costs about 25 bucks from joeboboutfitters.Com you get jp low power, 3.5 lbs trigger spring for about ten bucks and pair it with there $12 is adjustable grip screw. You get a light fairly crisp 1 stage trigger. I am not sure what the weight is I just got a trigger pull gauge and plan to compare it with a jp adjustable trigger and an old 3 lbs McCormick drop in single stage. I plan to measure them all tomorrow and let you know what I get. If u can put an ar-15 lower parts kit you can install and a dust the pistol grip screw and install the jp spring. Takes about 20 mins, costs 25 bucks. They have an in depth write up of this trigger upgrade at ar15.com....

JP 3.5lb springs, cut the tail off the hammer (like the JP hammer), go to ACE Hardware and buy a set screw (about 1/4" long) and run it up the grip hole for take up adjustment. For about $12, you will have something significantly better than stock.

Bill Springfield does excellent trigger jobs. But if you want to do it yourself, I have a JARD in my AR. It might run slightly more than your stated $100 budget, but you will be happy with it. Naturally any Geiselle would work, but it will set you back a whole lot more money.

Seen issues or heard or read about on the net? I've seen several and they have all been as good as triggers I paid 4x as much for.

Seen- I recommended him to several people who sent triggers to him. They feel great, but a couple have failed after a decent amount of use.

I know you said $100 is your max but I would save and get a Geissele SSA-E or Timney AR Competition 3lb. I have both and they are amazing!

You can get an SSA-E for under $200 if you check the For Sale section regularly. Two new in box SSA-E sold for $175 and $185 shipped on SH just in the past week.

I would save a few bucks more and get the Geissele G2S. Primary Arms had all their in stock triggers for 15% off and I think you could get that one for mid 140's. Anyway my PredatAR came with one in it and I have been more than impressed with it. I paid over 200 for the SSA-E in my LWRC and I honestly think the G2S feels like a nicer trigger. It definitely has less creep and a shorter reset. Plus all the Geissele's have full power springs in them.

I know everyone recommends the JP springs and a few of my friends have used them and liked them but I tried them in my M&P's and had lots of light strikes with bulk ammo. Never had a problem with any ammo with full power springs and the light factory trigger still sucked. It was lighter but still a long and gritty pull.

As folks have recommended, The ALG is a decent trigger on the cheap. It's essentially a polished up mil-spec trigger.

Truth be told, you can do that yourself. It's a simple matter to take out a trigger and polish it up. Anyone can move slowly, polishing a little at a time and end up with an ALG. Fears of screwing it up are overblown. I've worked over quite a few triggers and haven't screwed one up yet.

Having said that, there is only so much you can do with a trigger of that design. No matter how clean you make it, the sear/hammer engagement is negative, so it will always be a harder pull than what you can achieve with a nicer trigger design with a neutral sear/hammer engagement. But you can always make it much crisper with less pre-travel and grittiness like an ALG.

IMHO, that is a good route until you can afford a nicer trigger system. You come to realize after a time that there are some things you don't skimp on if you truly want a nice weapon. The trigger is one of those things.

I put the ALG, QMS trigger on my .22 and it's been an awesome trigger for the $.

Tried the ALG w/JP springs. Prefer the RRA for ~$25 more. My best were the Wilson TTU single stage. Took the ALG out.

Do yourself a favor and save up for a good trigger like Wilson Combat, Geissele, or Hyperfire....These 3 are my favorites....id recommend trying a variety of triggers before you decide....I beleive Hamland Tactical has a try a trigger program. ....if you save up and buy what you want you will save money in the long run because you will eventually upgrade the $100 trigger.

rock river is the best stock trigger I've ever felt
armalite national match 2-stage is my 2nd choice
I have a really nice jard in my colt p dogger but it was spendy
I had a poor experience with Giselle in my AR-10s, I ordered 3 from brownells and sent them all back

I got a cmc flat 3.5 trigger coming tomorrow I got off flea-bay for only 140 new. Hoping its like the triggers in my kimber 1911's. All I use my ar blackout for is sub 200yard varmints so Ill do a little review of it this weekend hopefully.