• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best LRF Binos

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    I'm looking to upgrade my LRF Binos but so far I haven't found a set that outperforms my old Bushnell Fusion 1600's. Don't get me wrong, some that I've tried have better glass, & sharper images, but the range finder is lacking in the ability to range through rain, snow, & fog. I have a TerripinX for my normal ranging while shooting so the binos are pretty much strictly for hunting. The 1600's are adequate (barely) in the glass dept and the laser has repeatedly given me ranges through snow, & fog hunting where others have failed.
    I've tried my friends Vortex 5000, & the new Bushnell Fusion X which has features I really like but side by side ranging the same targets the 1600's almost never fail.
    I'm looking at the Sig 10K, & maybe the Leica's but I want to try them out with the option of sending them back if they don't perform. I'm having trouble justifying a $2500+ price tag for something like this but I want to get better glass with at least an equal laser.
    Any other suggestions?

I've used Zeiss Victory RF for hunting for a year now.

So far I am very happy with them, both as a rangefinder and as binoculars.

I have not tried the model you own, so cannot say how they compare.

Last edited:
    If you want the absolute best and you are struggling to justify $2500 pricing im assuming that's about your limit.
    If you don't need Bluetooth id suggest the Leica hd-b 3000 range finder is excellent, glass is excellent, and since they're the older model without Bluetooth you can find them used, demo, or such for around 2k. Camera land had some recently..

If your budget is over $2500 and you require Bluetooth, either the Leica 3200.com ( some complaints about connectivity issues when they came out, not sure if it was resolved) or the victory rf ( their Bluetooth might only sync to the zeiss app, never played with it). I personally wouldn't include swaro in the running. The glass is probably the best to my eyes, but the range finder was not consistent and didn't work as far as the Leica or victory rf.

I haven't been lucky enough to try the higher end binos than these but I've had a pair of swaro 10x42 el range (2015 model) briefly owned the victory rf 10x42, and still own the Leica hd-b 3000. I don't need Bluetooth and I'll be keeping the Leica.

Steiner 1535nm M8x30 LRF Binos, if you want amazing glass, tough, small, and a killer SWIR LRF, those are the best option. I always carry a pair when I'm out.

Those with the soon to be blue tooth transmitter would make me wet, yet poor.

Love my plain old 8x30R binos, guessing I could only increase that love so much more with a set that could talk Kestrel.

Steiner 1535nm M8x30 LRF Binos, if you want amazing glass, tough, small, and a killer SWIR LRF, those are the best option. I always carry a pair when I'm out.
    I'm sure those are awesome, but they aren't anywhere near the same price point are they? Aren't those particular ones like 9k?

Reactions: TheHorta
    Ill tag along for recommendations. Im contemplating upgrading my SLC to something like the Geovid myself.

Thanks for the replies. I'm seeing a trend pointing to the Leica geovids. I don't need Bluetooth or anything special. I just want better glass with a lrf that will cut through rain, snow, & fog with angle compensation.
    My 1600's will give a return to 1800yds in light snow where my TerripinX is useless. How does the Leica lrf perform in inclement conditions?

The blue tooth transmitter is already available, I have mine Bluetoothed to my kestrel and IFS scope. But with the warranty you will have them for the rest of your life.

Reactions: pmclaine
    Thanks for the replies. I'm seeing a trend pointing to the Leica geovids. I don't need Bluetooth or anything special. I just want better glass with a lrf that will cut through rain, snow, & fog with angle compensation.
    My 1600's will give a return to 1800yds in light snow where my TerripinX is useless. How does the Leica lrf perform in inclement conditions?

What you’re asking for won’t be found with a 905nm laser.

You’ll always be hit or miss in bad weather or bad lighting until you step up to a 1550nm.

And that will be a ~$5k entry price.

Reactions: TheHebrewHammer
    I've run mine in light rain (hd-b 3000) and had zero issues ranging steel out to 840 yards but never tried them in snow. It gets foggy here nearly every morning though so I'll take them out before work and see what kind of ranges i can get. I didn't mention, for the most consistent ranging, especially at long distances, i have to use a tripod with the Leica. Pretty sure that's the going rate with most all lrf binos though

I think it's more in the internal programming. I think the newer ones will not give a range with a lower return signal strength while my old bushnell will give me a range where the newer ones won't. My Kilo 2400 AB is useless in bright light or rain or fog.

I think it's more in the internal programming. I think the newer ones will not give a range with a lower return signal strength while my old bushnell will give me a range where the newer ones won't. My Kilo 2400 AB is useless in bright light or rain or fog.

Programming can’t make up the difference in a 10watt powered 905nm and a 100k watt 1550nm. The software can’t attempt to do a better job predicting which returns are probably correct.

But the “cutting” of the environment is based on the laser itself. The software can’t do anything unless there is a signal back.

Is an eye safe issue. You can’t power up a 905nm as our eyes can be damaged with that wavelength. Our eyes can’t be damaged by 1550, so we can jack up the power. But that comes with a significant cost increase.

I’ve been down this road. Owned almost every single reputable 905nm laser. They all will eventually disappoint you if you are using in poor conditions often.

My only regret is not buying a 1550nm much sooner.

I get that. But it doesn't explain how 2 units like my bushnell & the kilo give better performance using the same 905nm laser. My bushnell will work in bad conditions that my kilo is useless. It must be something in the way the 2 units read returned signals.

Since cabelas has already credited me the fusion x binos back & the Leica 3200.com is the same price as the 3000 I just ordered them. Should be here before next weekend so I can try them head to head with my fusion 1600. I'll post up what I think.
    Thanks for the info.

Since cabelas has already credited me the fusion x binos back & the Leica 3200.com is the same price as the 3000 I just ordered them. Should be here before next weekend so I can try them head to head with my fusion 1600. I'll post up what I think.
    Thanks for the info.
    Sounds like you already ordered, but just in case: there are new Leica Geovid PRO’s coming out in April supposedly that will have some improved features over the 3200’s. Better Bluetooth, onboard weather sensors (no wind) and Applied Ballistics Elite which gives ballistic data for as far as you can range. They are x32’s, not 42’s like the 3200’s though. They also have a slightly lower max range than the 3200’s.

Were you able to test them out in some fog? I should have mine Wed evening & it's supposed to be raining but by the time I get home it'll be dark.

I have done a little testing over the last couple days but only at twilight or after dark. I had a brief hard rain late & they didn't do too bad. It ranged 800+ in heavy rain. In clear twilight it easily read a tree at 2176 & did so easily & repeatedly.
    Doesn't look like I'm going to have any bad weather to test them in for about a week but I'll have them out this weekend to see what it will do head to head against my TerripinX.

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
    A little more info to pass on.
    I brought them out to a wide open place in bright sun with terrible mirage & tested the laser against my bushnells. Out to about a mile I had no issues ranging trees & brush. My bushnells didn't do any better but past a mile it wouldn't hit anything except a truck reflector at 3100yds. Obviously the glass is a mile better than my bushnells but the surprise was it was able to range a tree @ 2100 where my Terrapin would not. The Leica ranged it 4/5 tries & I'm pretty sure I wiggled it on the one it didn't. My Terrapin went 0/5 on any tree in the same line.
    Now I'm looking for a good chest harness for them. The Mystety Ranch large was tapered at the bottom so they didn't fit well at all. The Badlands Eberlestock, & Sitka were all too small.
    I can't test fit them in the Kuiu pros or the Alaskas so I'm asking those that have these. What do you carry them in when in the woods?
    Thanks

I brought them out to a wide open place in bright sun with terrible mirage & tested the laser against my bushnells. Out to about a mile I had no issues ranging trees & brush. My bushnells didn't do any better but past a mile it wouldn't hit anything except a truck reflector at 3100yds. Obviously the glass is a mile better than my bushnells but the surprise was it was able to range a tree @ 2100 where my Terrapin would not. The Leica ranged it 4/5 tries & I'm pretty sure I wiggled it on the one it didn't. My Terrapin went 0/5 on any tree in the same line.
    Now I'm looking for a good chest harness for them. The Mystety Ranch large was tapered at the bottom so they didn't fit well at all. The Badlands Eberlestock, & Sitka were all too small.
    I can't test fit them in the Kuiu pros or the Alaskas so I'm asking those that have these. What do you carry them in when in the woods?
    Thanks
    Check out Marsupial gear I have one of their harnesses and I really dig it.

Programming can’t make up the difference in a 10watt powered 905nm and a 100k watt 1550nm. The software can’t attempt to do a better job predicting which returns are probably correct.

But the “cutting” of the environment is based on the laser itself. The software can’t do anything unless there is a signal back.

Is an eye safe issue. You can’t power up a 905nm as our eyes can be damaged with that wavelength. Our eyes can’t be damaged by 1550, so we can jack up the power. But that comes with a significant cost increase.

I’ve been down this road. Owned almost every single reputable 905nm laser. They all will eventually disappoint you if you are using in poor conditions often.

My only regret is not buying a 1550nm much sooner.
    But software can def improve signal to noise ratio so where there wasn’t before there is now a detectable signal standing out from the background noise.
    We have any signal processing software engineers here?

I shot with a guy today that just got his Sig KILO 10k binos in last night. They have a blueish tint to them like the old Bushnell fusions but a very good picture. Didn’t run them out to extreme ranges but the readings came back fast and consistent at 1475 yards. The ballistic readout was well laid out as and the 2 mil marks are quite useful. I would definitely get some if I could afford them lol.

I get that. But it doesn't explain how 2 units like my bushnell & the kilo give better performance using the same 905nm laser. My bushnell will work in bad conditions that my kilo is useless. It must be something in the way the 2 units read returned signals.

There's more to it than just wavelength. You also have to consider beam divergence, optical clarity, actual power transmitted, signal to noise ratio, and receiver sensitivity.

Yeah. I'm not a high tech kinda guy. All I know is my 15 yr old bushnell has ranged things in rain & fog that the new ones won't. Hopefully these new Leica 3200 will range equal to my bushnell in inclement weather. Farther in good weather with the awesome glass.

Update.
    I've had the new Leicas out on 3 weekend trips so far. 2 were bright sun & slight haze. They were 100% ranging to about 1800yds. They did have trouble at 2000+ but with a few tries in scan mode I did get about 2700yds on some trees.
    We have rain & fog now & I was able to range 1780 in rain/drizzle while my bushnells struggled to range the same trees. Still waiting for some heavy fog but so far I'm very happy with the Leica 3200.com.
    My only peeves are they are big but I got an AGC classic max for them & they will work fine in that.
    The other is the Ballistics in the app. I had to bump up my MV & BC way above the settings in CB to match closely. But it is close enough for hunting. Also it doesn't give a "solution" in the traditional sense. It gives you a click count. For my Tac rifle it's OK since I run mils in that but the hunting rifle is Mao so math is required to get a moa solution.
    It also will only give a click value out to 1000 yds.
    But all in all these are very good. The laser is the equivalent of my Terrapin with a big field of view & great glass.
    Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks
    Get a Hill people gear heavy recon bag and their bino pouch to hang off front. The best solution I have found, can run a pack with it and the pounch carries your gun, phone, imediate need shit,ect.

Update.
    I've had the new Leicas out on 3 weekend trips so far. 2 were bright sun & slight haze. They were 100% ranging to about 1800yds. They did have trouble at 2000+ but with a few tries in scan mode I did get about 2700yds on some trees.
    We have rain & fog now & I was able to range 1780 in rain/drizzle while my bushnells struggled to range the same trees. Still waiting for some heavy fog but so far I'm very happy with the Leica 3200.com.
    My only peeves are they are big but I got an AGC classic max for them & they will work fine in that.
    The other is the Ballistics in the app. I had to bump up my MV & BC way above the settings in CB to match closely. But it is close enough for hunting. Also it doesn't give a "solution" in the traditional sense. It gives you a click count. For my Tac rifle it's OK since I run mils in that but the hunting rifle is Mao so math is required to get a moa solution.
    It also will only give a click value out to 1000 yds.
    But all in all these are very good. The laser is the equivalent of my Terrapin with a big field of view & great glass.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Thanks for the update. My dad just got the 3200.coms as well. I got him the FHF gear bino harness, size "Large" and they fit well in there.

I'm really hoping the updated Leica app supposedly coming this summer will improve the ballistics and ease-of-use. We shall see. I'm probably going to hold out for the PRO's despite the slightly lowered ranging performance.

I've had my Leica HDR 2700's range game at 2197 metres, I've had consistent ranges 2km + . Tried to upload the video but it's too large

i have a set of leica 3200s i have a Alaska guide guide pack very happy with it.