• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best M1 Garand forum?

Luky

19D20E9
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2012
San Diego, Kalifornia
Hello, I am a new member to SH but have lurked and read posts here and a several other shooting sites for a long time. Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but what the heck?

I recently started shooting high power matches at a local range (900 yrds) and found my AR 15 was not up to the task
crazy.gif
. I thought I was doing OK out to about 630yards with my free floated 16" AR and handloads (68gr Hornady on top of 26.0gr Varget with 210M primer in match preped LC 12 cases), but really wasn't competitive. I had shot some M14 matches when I was in the Guard 20 years ago, but have never tried to shoot accurately beyond 600 yards before...

So after some research, an lot of reading, and talking to my brother that does bench rest with a Savage model 12, I recently ordered a Savage 10BA-LE in .308 from Buds. This seemes a good balance of cost vs features I wanted. I have been shopping for an optic and picked up a Millet TRS-1 mid-dot bar to start with but will probably get a Vortex Viper PST FFP in 6-24x50 once I liquidate my M1A National Match & scope. To help pay for the new toys I am clearing out some items collecting dust in my gun safe. I have a M1 Garand post WWII rebuild op rod and a complete trigger assmebly that I want to get rid of and was looking for a good M1 Garand forum where I could list these parts (rather than Fleabay). Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Best M1 Garand forum?

To answer your question about the Garand forums:

That would be the CMP forums

http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php

I can see why your AR isn't up to snuff with the 68 grn bullets. I use 80s out of my 20 inch White Oak with a 1:7 twist. It works in HP at 600. Take your 600 yard zero and turn the front sight 4 full revolutions down and you have a 1000 yard zero.

But I don't see it happenig with a 68 gran bullet.

You sold your M1A, another fine rifle for 1000 yards.

Don't see why anyone would sell a M1, but that's just me.

Any check out the CMP site. They do have a for sale section.

Thank you.

It is a Fulton Armory 16" with 1:9. I figured a 68/69gr is about what it would stabilize. I can do .5-.6" goups at 100 yards with my hand loads.

About the best I am getting from my M1A with GMM 168gr is about 1.3 - 1 MOA and that isn't good enough for the matches I am trying to shoot. You only get 1 shot at a 6" disk, than 1 shot at a 4" disk at various ranges - last match was out to 771 yards... If we were shooting body silhouettes, I would probably be OK. When they do include the silhouettes it will be one to the body and one to the head (or two to the head for extra points). Add in a 10 mph cross wind and a 7 degree incline and it is a challenge (which I am enjoying). Downloaded Strelok for my Android tablet, then bought a kestrel and I just got a chronograph to help with my loads. Trying to do this right...

And just to head things off (already got a nice PM about it)... I know that I am not allowed to sell things on SH without 100 posts. I am not trying to sell, just looking for others knowledge of where might be a good place where I can communicate with parties intested in parts for this specific platform... I already have stuff on Craigs list and gunbroker...

That sounds like hell of a lot of fun. And yeah, an M1A isn't the best rifle for that.

L

I'm interested in the parts if price is right
PM me with info
Thanks
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you.

It is a Fulton Armory 16" with 1:9. I figured a 68/69gr is about what it would stabilize. I can do .5-.6" goups at 100 yards with my hand loads.

About the best I am getting from my M1A with GMM 168gr is about 1.3 - 1 MOA and that isn't good enough for the matches I am trying to shoot. You only get 1 shot at a 6" disk, than 1 shot at a 4" disk at various ranges - last match was out to 771 yards... If we were shooting body silhouettes, I would probably be OK. When they do include the silhouettes it will be one to the body and one to the head (or two to the head for extra points). Add in a 10 mph cross wind and a 7 degree incline and it is a challenge (which I am enjoying). Downloaded Strelok for my Android tablet, then bought a kestrel and I just got a chronograph to help with my loads. Trying to do this right...

And just to head things off (already got a nice PM about it)... I know that I am not allowed to sell things on SH without 100 posts. I am not trying to sell, just looking for others knowledge of where might be a good place where I can communicate with parties intested in parts for this specific platform... I already have stuff on Craigs list and gunbroker... </div></div>

The Sierra 168 HPBT isn't worth a fonk for 1000 yard shooting through either the M1 or the M14! It's a fair bullet for 600 yards but 1000 it ain't! The 168 has a 13 degree boat-tail and any bullet with that degree BT has the same drag function as a flat-based bullet! You should have been shooting the 175 gr. Sierra and then you'd have been in business! I've got an MTU shooter buddy that has won the Farr Trophy Match at Camp Perry more than any other shooter and I can guarantee you he wasn't shooting the 168 through his M14!!

Federal makes 2 separate 175gr .308/7.62 match loads using the 175SMK; either of which would be better from the M1A than the 168 for distances exceeding 800yd.