• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best M1A Trigger?

BattleAxe

Chief
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2010
    Earth
    Who makes a really good M1A drop-in trigger assembly. I have a SA NM trigger and its really prone to double-tapping. While I can surely adjust my technique, it makes it difficult to accurize my project given the number of adjustments needed between the stock, scope, and mount, and the trigger pull necessary to eliminate it throws off accuracy.

I've been able to get this stick to shoot .8-.9 MOA but can only do it by putting one round each in 5 different mags to keep it from sending 2-3 rounds down range...obviously a bad thing on a sniper rig. I'm on the verge of sub-MOA consistency but the trigger keeps getting in my way. I personally don't care for these 2-stage match triggers on a tactical weapon so I'm wondering what other options are out there for M1A's.

To give you an idea of how profound this effect is. Groups 1 and 2 were fired with the standard...blah-blah-blah <span style="font-style: italic">"its a battle rifle get used to it"</span> trigger pull. Group 3 was fired with a single round in each of 5 mags where I didn't have to focus on pinning the trigger rearward to prevent double-taps. Every time I did this the results were the same.

280-p7160020.jpg

Re: Best M1A Trigger?

Honestly... I can't ever remember seeing anything other than a two-stage trigger for the M1A BattleAxe.

Other than having an existing trigger group worked on, the only other unit I've seen is the Rader trigger group, by Springfield. I believe it's adjustable down to 3.5#

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nbkky71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other than having an existing trigger group worked on, the only other unit I've seen is the Rader trigger group, by Springfield. I believe it's adjustable down to 3.5# </div></div>I think being too light is part of the problem. I had this group worked once before for the same issue but its cropping up again since I've re-stocked the weapon. I'm not opposed to a 2 stage but this one sucks.

I guess it depends on who did the work. I once strayed from my usual gunsmith and had the trigger group on my NM M1 Garand worked on. It went south after a few hundred rounds, breaking around 3.5#, and wouldn't make weight at inspection.

I'll throw out a name for you as he's a top notch M1A/M14 gun plumber and is the only person that works on my rifles. Isaac McCaskill of Cassat Gun Works. He's a retired USMC 2112 and does he does the great NM trigger job for the M1A/M14. Mine's been a consistently crisp 4.5# since he buily my supermatch. Top notch work...

Unfortunately, he's going to be unavailable for the next month or so as he makes the circuit between Interservice matches at Quantico and the National Matches at Perry.

Mine was done by a SEAL armorer and the guy is a guru but that was more than a thousand rounds and 15 years ago so it may have loosened up or something.

BattleAxe said:
    Who makes a really good M1A drop-in trigger assembly. I have a SA NM trigger and its really prone to double-tapping. While I can surely adjust my technique, it makes it difficult to accurize my project given the number of adjustments needed between the stock, scope, and mount, and the trigger pull necessary to eliminate it throws off accuracy.

I've been able to get this stick to shoot .8-.9 MOA but can only do it by putting one round each in 5 different mags to keep it from sending 2-3 rounds down range...obviously a bad thing on a sniper rig. I'm on the verge of sub-MOA consistency but the trigger keeps getting in my way. I personally don't care for these 2-stage match triggers on a tactical weapon so I'm wondering what other options are out there for M1A's.

To give you an idea of how profound this effect is. Groups 1 and 2 were fired with the standard...blah-blah-blah <span style="font-style: italic">"its a battle rifle get used to it"</span> trigger pull. Group 3 was fired with a single round in each of 5 mags where I didn't have to focus on pinning the trigger rearward to prevent double-taps. Every time I did this the results were the same.

280-p7160020.jpg
    [/quote

Your trigger is not prone to double tapping, it's you. Maintain trigger pull until recoil has subsided.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your trigger is not prone to double tapping, it's you. Maintain trigger pull until recoil has subsided. </div></div>

Anything is possible but I'm not convinced its the case here. I've tried every technique I know and I <span style="text-decoration: underline">can</span> get it to stop double tapping...when I do, accuracy suffers. Between two .308 platforms and one .223 I easily cook 1000 rnds per month so its not for lack of practice.

I don't pretend to know everything so I'm all ears if you've got a tip.

Check your hammer and sear hooks to be sure they are in tact.

Have the pull weight measured to be sure it is at least 4.5# asfrom what ive read, is the minimum reliable wieght due to the violent action of all the moving parts.

If these things check out ok, then it really is probably shooter error. If you feather the trigger, the recoil will reset it, and return from recoil will send another round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who makes a really good M1A drop-in trigger assembly. </div></div>

Contact this guy and ask about his drop-in Crazy Horse Triggers

I had Bill Springfield do trigger jobs on both my M1As. He did a great job, and the pull weight is right at the 5 pound mark.

OK call me a dummy...it was mostly me. The bench I was shooting from was an odd height and I wasn't holding the rifle as I would have normally liked so I modified my hold a little bit for a better shoulder weld and shot these yesterday. All are 5 shot strings except the top right which was 8 rounds. All targets from the same board. Ammo--168 FGGM CORRECTION...bottom right target was 175gr FGGM

Something went south after this target board and my POI shifted so I quit for the day to try to figure it out.

I still don't like this trigger though and will check into one of those crazy horse triggers.

282-7-17-range.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who makes a really good M1A drop-in trigger assembly. </div></div>

Contact this guy and ask about his drop-in Crazy Horse Triggers
    </div></div>

I have the max pack version of the crazy horse trigger job in my m1a. Prior to getting this, I was having many doubles unintentionally. My stock trigger group's pull had lightened up to roughly three pounds over several thousand rounds. Now that I've got the max pack, I have not had any accidental double taps, and so far pull has not lightened up. Roughly 1k to 1.5k rounds through the rifle with the max pack.

Reactions: Matt Jones