• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best Mass Produced Long Range Rifle Under $1000?

I just picked up a Bergara HMR last week. Put first 90 rounds through it today. Shoots very well. Trigger breaks crisp just under 3lbs. Stock is very nice and adjustable cheek piece is simple and locks up tight. Factory federal 130 Berger averaged 2830 fps with magnetospeed V3 and had some cratered primers. Handloads with Berger 130 AR Hybrid and H4350 averaged 2730 and no pressure or primer cratering. Was only about 37 degrees out, windy, and sleeting. I imagine velocity will jump a little after barrel break in and maybe a bit more once I attach my suppressor. Here's the load that had the best 5 shot group of the day. Two on the left I blame me and cold hands. IMG_1219.JPG

Got a Savage 12 lrpv 6.5cm that is just an awesome gun with everything I was looking for. We'll worth the money and it shoots like a house fire

In the final say, the shooter shoots what the shooter wants to shoot.

When I talk about the .260, I'm talking about my 28" L-W .260, which delivers an honest 2850fps with 142SMK/140A-Max. I am currently upping the ante slightly with development using the 143 ELD-X. I have never used a muzzle brake, and I have a surgically-related mandate against shooting anything with more recoil than a .30-'06 with a 175-ish grain projectile, or a 20ga slug. So I cheerfully admit to some bias.

I have this dialogue about once each year, and have been having it since back around 2000 when this site first kicked off. I can't convince them all, and maybe I'm wasting my time trying.

I will say this about $3k-$4k rifles. They work, but in that price range, the buyer is already well into the area of diminishing returns. I have never been a champion, and that's OK. My life has never granted me the freedom to pursue a competitive shooting career; but that has never stopped me from working on my rifle accuracy projects, either. The lesson here is that there are probably more than two or three productive lines of strategy involving accuracy, and each demands a different price, be it cash, physical effort, and/or physical punishment. Clearly, the magnum chamberings are one of those productive strategies.

Once we get beyond the 600yd MR distances, the equipment occupies less and less of the accuracy equation, and the shooter, their ammo, and the winds become the dominant factors for accuracy improvement. I compete at that distance with a factory .223 rifle, and whatever scores I might earn there are the results of a diligent effort. The bigger bucks can make it easier, but the basic rifle is the bottom line.

I have been working away at refining accuracy with the factory rifle here for going on two decades. I'm not out to beat anybody but myself, and I have proven to be a far more resilient opponent to myself than to any others. One of my ultimate goals is to define an economical, yet competent, factory rifle setup for the newer competitors. I have one, but it needs more proving before I can confidently endorse it unconditionally.

It is based on the Savage 11VT package rifle, available only from Dick's Sporting Goods. Mine are in .223 and .308; and soon a third will join the stable, with a 260 drop-in replacement barrel. With my choice of glass, each, except the one with the replacement barrel, tops out at well below $1000, and it is clearly adequate to the task as long as one is willing to put decent skills into the bargain. At such a price, I think it's worth the try; nothing ventured, nothing gained.

For me, it will always be the Indian, with a basic, but consistent, arrow. First the Indian; then we work on the arrows.

The next arrow intended for the quiver is very likely to be the .280 Rem with a 175gr projectile.

Whatever you do, enjoy it and be safe.

Greg

Last edited:
This guy (the OP) is why I don't bother replying to "noobs" who come asking for advice. 99.9% of the time what they want is validation of their choices and (mostly) erroneous ideas and "knowledge"

I'm finding that trend in real life more and more as well. Seems the internet is the new holiday inn.......

I do agree with 308pirate. This happens over and over again. I do still respond quite often, but that's due mainly to my perpetual optimism that perhaps I can help someone who actually does want help.

I can't count how many shooters I've seen at our local club who just have to start with a 300 WM or even .338 LM because of "superior performance". They inevitably end up getting something in 6.5 or 6 mm if they stick with LR. Every one.

Hey OP have you priced ammo or better yet reloading components? So let me get this straight you want a rifle for under a grand but then your going to spend a fortune on reloading or even more buying ammo?
Let us know how well that all works out for you in the end please and thank you (p.s. I have a sneaking suspicion that you will shoot a 300 WM far less than you would say a 6.5 creedmoor or any 6.5 flavor so if you want to shoot a box a year :rolleyes: go ahead get the 300WM)

Buy something, make sure it fits you, shoot it at reasonable distances until you are consistent with it, to me, 1000 yards is something I'll waste a box of ammo on now and again, just to see if I can do it. Yeah, there are bragging rights and considerable chest swelling but it is basically a chess game between you, your load and the elements. If I am serious about having a good day at the range, I try to see how many 1/2" diameter dots I can hit at 200 yards against the clock. It is easy at 5 shots in 2 minutes, at 1:30 it gets a little tougher and I have yet to go 5x at 1 minute.
I currently have 3, 4 if you count a 22 trainer, rifles that I would consider precision guns. They range in cost to me, ready to shoot with scope and bipod mounted, from a little over $7K to $300. All have been purchased used. All are in "small" calibers, 6.5CM, 6.5x47L, and 243 Win. I'm 75 years old next month and frankly, I can no longer put up with heavy recoil, I never liked it to start with and now, with various injuries and deterioration of my physical condition I tend to heavier guns and nothing but bench shooting. I choose 200 yards cause my range has a golf cart to get me out to the targets, you are expected to walk for the 100 yard line.
Back in the day, I was an avid trap shooter. Avid as in froth at the mouth, think of nothing all day but getting out and shooting type shooter. It was a rare week I didn't shoot a case of 12 gauge. I went from a C shooter to AA on singles in a year and moved from 18 yards to 27 yards in the same time. Why? I shot a lot and loved the sport. Then one day I woke up. I looked in my car trunk and there was a $15K shotgun, a case of ammo and a couple 100 bucks worth of crap like shell bags, a vest and, of course, my lucky hat full of holes from my first century in competition. Some quick mental arithmetic let me realize I, at $40K/year, had no business in that sport. Sold all my stuff and never looked back.
This is a fun game. Go have fun, do the best you can with what you have and enjoy. No one can shoot your gun for you, buy what feels right and go shoot. Chances are, as you mature as a shooter, your taste and preference will change anyway.

Im going with a CTR when funds allow. Is there any weight difference between T3 and T3X CTRs? Also, possible to get a 24" .308 CTR?

This guy (the OP) is why I don't bother replying to "noobs" who come asking for advice. 99.9% of the time what they want is validation of their choices and (mostly) erroneous ideas and "knowledge"

I'm finding that trend in real life more and more as well. Seems the internet is the new holiday inn.......

They are called Askholes, and they are becoming very prevalent.

recite-7657-1284718227-1xad68q1.png

This poster wasn't against anything. Never heard the term Ask*hole before, and think it's cute but pointless.

I don't post to the individual, I post to the forum; or at least I try to (both). Nobody is obliged to take any advice I give, and sometimes I don't, either.

The OP is gone, but you folks are still here. So, I guess I'm reaching the right audience after all.

Greg

Buy something, make sure it fits you, shoot it at reasonable distances until you are consistent with it, to me, 1000 yards is something I'll waste a box of ammo on now and again, just to see if I can do it. Yeah, there are bragging rights and considerable chest swelling but it is basically a chess game between you, your load and the elements. If I am serious about having a good day at the range, I try to see how many 1/2" diameter dots I can hit at 200 yards against the clock. It is easy at 5 shots in 2 minutes, at 1:30 it gets a little tougher and I have yet to go 5x at 1 minute.
I currently have 3, 4 if you count a 22 trainer, rifles that I would consider precision guns. They range in cost to me, ready to shoot with scope and bipod mounted, from a little over $7K to $300. All have been purchased used. All are in "small" calibers, 6.5CM, 6.5x47L, and 243 Win. I'm 75 years old next month and frankly, I can no longer put up with heavy recoil, I never liked it to start with and now, with various injuries and deterioration of my physical condition I tend to heavier guns and nothing but bench shooting. I choose 200 yards cause my range has a golf cart to get me out to the targets, you are expected to walk for the 100 yard line.
Back in the day, I was an avid trap shooter. Avid as in froth at the mouth, think of nothing all day but getting out and shooting type shooter. It was a rare week I didn't shoot a case of 12 gauge. I went from a C shooter to AA on singles in a year and moved from 18 yards to 27 yards in the same time. Why? I shot a lot and loved the sport. Then one day I woke up. I looked in my car trunk and there was a $15K shotgun, a case of ammo and a couple 100 bucks worth of crap like shell bags, a vest and, of course, my lucky hat full of holes from my first century in competition. Some quick mental arithmetic let me realize I, at $40K/year, had no business in that sport. Sold all my stuff and never looked back.
This is a fun game. Go have fun, do the best you can with what you have and enjoy. No one can shoot your gun for you, buy what feels right and go shoot. Chances are, as you mature as a shooter, your taste and preference will change anyway.

I really liked this post. If I ran into this gentleman at the range, I think we would get along. The content is very good but the general vibe of the post is excellent. Age brings wisdom.

Wanted to let you guys know all your advice didn't go to waste. I've been looking to get a modestly priced bolt action in 6.5 cm that I can use at 300-400 yards for now. Also, like to OP who is in Colorado, I'm moving to rural Colorado in the near future, so I'm looking forward to being able to start real long distance shooting. Didn't want to spend a ton of $$$ on the gun, so I'll actually have money left over to buy lots of ammo. Based on the excellent advice I got here I found a nice new Tikka CTR for under $900. I'm adding a SWFA 12x scope that I'm picking up off the sample list, so for about $1150 I should be good to go.

I also agree with other posters, it can be easy to obsess over equipment. I understand that if you're shooting at a high level, do it a ton, or have the money it's nice to have top tier stuff. But ultimately, as another poster put it "it's more about the indian than the arrow". I think we do live in a golden age of manufacturing and technology and if you willing to do some research you can get good quality gear without having to spend top dollar.