• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Advanced Marksmanship Best method for unstable front rest stages?

Forward543

Dude
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Idaho
Looking for input on method for shooting stages where the front rest is unstable. Like a fence top wire/ chain/ rope. The ones ive encountered are all about 4.5' tall. The method i like the best so far is to use a tripod leg in the rear and grip the tripod leg with a support hand. You could probably use a mono pod the same. Any ideas?

Depending on how taut the medium is at the top of the fence, you could use the bipod on the front as a modified barricade stop as well. Pope the legs down and put the robe, chain, wire, etc at the top of the bipod where it meets the stock. Press forward into the bipod taking up as much slack as possible in the barricade material and thus eliminating as much play and movement as possible. This will also puch the rifle into your shoulder and should help stabilize the rifle.

This would obviously not be feasible if there is alot of slack in the barricade material. A bit of downward pressure would help in those situations.

In the rear, I mainly just cup my hand against my chest making a 'U' shape and then just resting the base of the stock in my hand. You can grab a handful of shirt if you want a little more stable of a platform. That method is a little more field expedient.

Reactions: shoobe01
Looking for input on method for shooting stages where the front rest is unstable. Like a fence top wire/ chain/ rope. The ones ive encountered are all about 4.5' tall. The method i like the best so far is to use a tripod leg in the rear and grip the tripod leg with a support hand. You could probably use a mono pod the same. Any ideas?

This along with forward pressure into the rope. Free recoil is key here with support hand gripping tripod.

No an answer here, just showing a super simple practice device I made.

One of the options is a rope simulator. I run it on a tripod so any height is available.. also the practice thing has many shooting possibilities in addition to the rope.

I did a thread on this somewhere here

One thing I have seen lately is guys making a make shift table on a tripod and using it for rear support to get very stable firing over unstable barricades and ropes/chains. They make a small square, usually out of lexan or something. Fasten it to an arca rail and mount it to the tripod. I haven’t tried it personally but was looking into making one as it seems like a great idea.

Last edited:
One thing I have seen lately is guys making a make shift table on a tripod and using it for rear support to get very stable firing over unstable barricades and ropes/chains. They make a small square, usually out of lexan or something. Fasten it to an area rail and mount it to the tripod. I haven’t tried it personally but was looking into making one as it seems like a great idea.

That’s a clever idea.

Depending on how taut the medium is at the top of the fence, you could use the bipod on the front as a modified barricade stop as well. Pope the legs down and put the robe, chain, wire, etc at the top of the bipod where it meets the stock. Press forward into the bipod taking up as much slack as possible in the barricade material and thus eliminating as much play and movement as possible. This will also puch the rifle into your shoulder and should help stabilize the rifle.

This would obviously not be feasible if there is alot of slack in the barricade material. A bit of downward pressure would help in those situations.

In the rear, I mainly just cup my hand against my chest making a 'U' shape and then just resting the base of the stock in my hand. You can grab a handful of shirt if you want a little more stable of a platform. That method is a little more field expedient.

In your experience, any role for support hand to be in contact with forend? Instinctively seems like that hand could be useful keeping rifle from moving around on the unstable support while applying some rearward force.

In your experience, any role for support hand to be in contact with forend? Instinctively seems like that hand could be useful keeping rifle from moving around on the unstable support while applying some rearward force.

Your support hand should go wherever you feel it’s needed most and gain the most stability. Be careful pushing down on the barrel though, it can affect accuracy especially at long range.

Same method I uses, when im unstable i try to keep my support hand to the rear as you stated and depending how unstable ill grab my shirt at height i need.

IMG_1916.PNG

The real answer is don't shoot off it at all

Reactions: smokeon