• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best Mil Reticle for Long Range Hunting?

JA1989

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2019
Hey guys, I’m new to the site and just got started dabbling in long range a little over a year ago. My current setup is a 280AI with a Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42. Only issue I have is the reticle. It’s the H59, which for my purposes is way too cluttered. I’ll be hunting mostly large ag fields with shots anywhere from 200 to 900 yards. Lots of low light situations, so I don’t want to go with anything really fine. What’s the best mil reticle to go with on a hunting rig in your opinion? Thanks for any help.

Hey guys, I’m new to the site and just got started dabbling in long range a little over a year ago. My current setup is a 280AI with a Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42. Only issue I have is the reticle. It’s the H59, which for my purposes is way too cluttered. I’ll be hunting mostly large ag fields with shots anywhere from 200 to 900 yards. Lots of low light situations, so I don’t want to go with anything really fine. What’s the best mil reticle to go with on a hunting rig in your opinion? Thanks for any help.

made talking having a new reticle Put in your NF or a whole new optic? If new SKMR 3 or 4. Not to cluttered but still has small wind hold stuff built in.

Best MIL reticle for LRH? The reticle on Nikon FX1000s. You don't need anything else... at all.

Reactions: wpierce
I agree I really like the Mil C reticle, but apparently they don’t offer that reticle in the ATACR.

88350989-19BC-48FF-9458-0D034776537A.jpeg

Reactions: RFutch
Bushnell G3. The illuminated versions of both the 3-12 and 4.5-18 LRTS have .06 mrad thick cross hairs which are I appreciate in a hunting scope. The illumination is done excellently also which should help that much more if you're using often in low light scenarios

Reactions: browning442
Bushnell G3. The illuminated versions of both the 3-12 and 4.5-18 LRTS have .06 mrad thick cross hairs which are I appreciate in a hunting scope. The illumination is done excellently also which should help that much more if you're using often in low light scenarios

The Bushnell G3 is very nice. See attached pic for a DMRII with Illum G3. You should have no problem trading off that H59 for a MIL-R or MIL-C if you want to stick with NF. The NF MIL-XT might also be too busy for your eyes and purpose.

Attachments

• 20inch.jpg
    20inch.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20201016-174643_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201016-174643_Drive.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 67
I love my ZC 4x20 with the MPCT1 reticle for hunting.NF Mil-c and Mil-R are also very nice reticles for hunting.If you want something less expensive the SWFA Mil-Quad reticle will work very well for hunting.

I hunt with the exact same scope you have, with a Mil-C. No complaints. I’ve tried lots of optics and keep on ending back up on the 4-16x42 for practical field use. $2k-ish for a gently used one. I don’t think it gets any better until you can afford a $3k+ ZCO , etc.

Reactions: Aescobar17

Feel free to give us a call at 916-670-1103 and we'd be happy to go over some options for you :)

Thanks everybody, I appreciate all the great info and replies. I’m leaning hard toward another ATACR with the mil-R reticle. I’ll probably stick with the 4x16 magnification, I’m afraid anything over 20 would limit my field of view too much for shots under 500 or so

Zco420 with M1 for completely open. M2 reticle if you want a tree that’s not H59 clutter.

Reactions: CSTactical
Thanks everybody, I appreciate all the great info and replies. I’m leaning hard toward another ATACR with the mil-R reticle. I’ll probably stick with the 4x16 magnification, I’m afraid anything over 20 would limit my field of view too much for shots under 500 or so
Are you looking at SFP scopes?
With FFP you can always dial back the magnification and the reticle will still be accurate.

The Leupold Mark 5hd in TMR would be worth a look for a FFP hunting scope.

Are you looking at SFP scopes?
With FFP you can always dial back the magnification and the reticle will still be accurate.

The Leupold Mark 5hd in TMR would be worth a look for a FFP hunting scope.

I’m looking primarily for SFP. I have nothing against a FFP for target rifles that just punch paper and steel. However on my hunting rig I prefer SFP. Simply because I can turn the magnification down to 10x or so and still have a visible reticle in low light. FFP reticles disappear on me at that magnification when it gets dim.

Reactions: wade2big
I’m looking primarily for SFP. I have nothing against a FFP for target rifles that just punch paper and steel. However on my hunting rig I prefer SFP. Simply because I can turn the magnification down to 10x or so and still have a visible reticle in low light. FFP reticles disappear on me at that magnification when it gets dim.
SFP changes things a lot, the only scope recommended so far that comes in SFP is the 4-16 ATACR.

I've had good luck from a Leupold VX6 and VX5 and wouldn't hesitate to go for another.
This would be an option to consider if cost and weight were a factor, there are similar MOA models if you preferred that, if you did like MOA then theres a couple of options from Zeiss you could look at too.

Vortex LHT 3-15x42 would also suit your requirements.

If you've had good luck with the ATACR and like it other than reticle then a 4-16x50 F2 ATACR wouldn't be a bad choice.
Unfortunately (for you) most of the ATACR models are FFP so you are limited in reticle choices, make sure to buy the F2 version (that's SFP).

The same thing that makes a quality tree reticle valuable for field shooting/comps makes it equally valuable for hunting.

Less thinking, less dialing, faster shots, faster shot adjustments and ease of use. Same thing with FFP.

Reactions: deersniper
SFP changes things a lot, the only scope recommended so far that comes in SFP is the 4-16 ATACR.

I've had good luck from a Leupold VX6 and VX5 and wouldn't hesitate to go for another.
This would be an option to consider if cost and weight were a factor, there are similar MOA models if you preferred that, if you did like MOA then theres a couple of options from Zeiss you could look at too.

Vortex LHT 3-15x42 would also suit your requirements.

If you've had good luck with the ATACR and like it other than reticle then a 4-16x50 F2 ATACR wouldn't be a bad choice.
Unfortunately (for you) most of the ATACR models are FFP so you are limited in reticle choices, make sure to buy the F2 version (that's SFP).
You hit the nail on the head, I actually just ordered a ATACR 4-16x50 F2 with the mil-R reticle. I feel that magnification range is a good balance for a hunting scope. Decent field of view but still able to reach out to a thousand or more if needed.

Best MIL reticle for LRH? The reticle on Nikon FX1000s. You don't need anything else... at all.

I wouldn’t take that optic or reticle..... at all.
I have to stand corrected on that earlier statement, I looked a little harder and found the ATACR with the mil-c but it appears to only be available in FFP

Illumination solves any issues with low light and thin FFP reticle. I hunt with mine a lot, and rarely ever need it. When I do a quick push of the illumination knob, and the reticle is easily visible in any conditions.

Reactions: deersniper
I wouldn’t take that optic or reticle..... at all.

Illumination solves any issues with low light and thin FFP reticle. I hunt with mine a lot, and rarely ever need it. When I do a quick push of the illumination knob, and the reticle is easily visible in any conditions.
I’d be interested to hear your reason for your comment about the FX1000.

I have two 6-24 FX1000 mil/mil and they’re a great scope. Most everyone that has compared them side by side to optics twice the price seem to agree per all the posts on here. My own comparison is with a Leupold VX3 and they are nearly the same in multiple light situations. Great hunting reticle. I haven’t had any issues out to 1250 yds dialing dope. Illumination is good also. No doubt it isn’t an ATACR. It also isn’t $2500. haven’t seen anyone make that argument. 🤣 🍻

Reactions: Aescobar17
Its a pretty trash scope to be honest, he is right. Nikon killed their sport optics shortly after its debut. Glass was horrible in them, not to mention country of origin, inspiring no confidence.
“Trash scope”
Horse shit.
Nothing but great reviews from everyone that’s spent time behind one.

• Haha
Reactions: CrabsandFootball
I’d be interested to hear your reason for your comment about the FX1000.

I have two 6-24 FX1000 mil/mil and they’re a great scope. Most everyone that has compared them side by side to optics twice the price seem to agree per all the posts on here. My own comparison is with a Leupold VX3 and they are nearly the same in multiple light situations. Great hunting reticle. I haven’t had any issues out to 1250 yds dialing dope. Illumination is good also. No doubt it isn’t an ATACR. It also isn’t $2500. haven’t seen anyone make that argument. 🤣 🍻

The reticle isn’t for me, and I’m not a fan of the glass. It’s not a bad choice in the grand scheme of things, but it’s not for me. That said I don’t like the glass in the VX3 either. The comment wasn’t as much of a dig at the optic as it was the absurdity of the statement I quoted.

Okay, the Nikon FX1000 glass isn't the lord's gift to optics and the turrets are the word's finest... fine. And yet I just spent a weekend cleaning 400 to 1000 yard shots with it sitting atop a Savage 12FV 308 in a MDT XRS chassis, a slew of 300 and 500 yard movers, unknown distance (measured with the very useful reticle), and other various long range shots and had absolutely zero issues with it. I tracked perfectly. The glass was clear as I could ever need it to be. The reticle got me nearly exact unknown distance measurements with zero missed shots. And I'd say the eye box/relief was better than the $3,000 Kahles scopes I got to look through and, frankly, the glass wasn't brown-tinged like those snazzy scopes.

It's a good damn scope. It was a great product. Especially since for my 6-24x50 I paid $450 and my 4-16 I paid $360. Oh, and the illumination -- you can actually see it when it's not pitch black unlike a slew of high dollar scopes I've demo'd. I literally went with the Nikons after trying and disliking (for the money) $3K and down scopes.

Anyway... this is a thread about hunting reticles and I wouldn't want anything much different than the FX1000's reticle for all but varmint hunting in the long range. If we're talking regular ol' white tail and piggy hunting you all know the only thing you need is a simple cross hair and a max PBR zero. Relax.

Okay, the Nikon FX1000 glass isn't the lord's gift to optics and the turrets are the word's finest... fine. And yet I just spent a weekend cleaning 400 to 1000 yard shots with it sitting atop a Savage 12FV 308 in a MDT XRS chassis, a slew of 300 and 500 yard movers, unknown distance (measured with the very useful reticle), and other various long range shots and had absolutely zero issues with it. I tracked perfectly. The glass was clear as I could ever need it to be. The reticle got me nearly exact unknown distance measurements with zero missed shots. And I'd say the eye box/relief was better than the $3,000 Kahles scopes I got to look through and, frankly, the glass wasn't brown-tinged like those snazzy scopes.

It's a good damn scope. It was a great product. Especially since for my 6-24x50 I paid $450 and my 4-16 I paid $360. Oh, and the illumination -- you can actually see it when it's not pitch black unlike a slew of high dollar scopes I've demo'd. I literally went with the Nikons after trying and disliking (for the money) $3K and down scopes.

Anyway... this is a thread about hunting reticles and I wouldn't want anything much different than the FX1000's reticle for all but varmint hunting in the long range. If we're talking regular ol' white tail and piggy hunting you all know the only thing you need is a simple cross hair and a max PBR zero. Relax.

To be fair I wouldn’t own a Savage, an MDT, or a 308 either.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
My priorities are jacked. I spent as much on dinner last week as I did my Savage Ashbury Precision Ordinance .308 😂
091F0C43-B0DE-4AD3-A714-F048BB63E78F.jpeg
58A7BE08-E377-442A-9F34-787CD7EA0BF4.jpeg

Attachments

• 34334379-AF4A-40F1-85DD-A10FF83B35F9.png
    34334379-AF4A-40F1-85DD-A10FF83B35F9.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 37

^^^^This.

John

Old thread, but I'm here, so what the hell.

If it's NF, OK. If not, find the equivalent. Gonna throw my support to both the Mil-C and Mil-R. If you like the English system, then it's hard to beat a MOAR. That is a REALLY nice option for nighttime, and stuff that runs. (like pigs)

Reactions: Hoss47