• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Best Military Sniper Movie.

Re: Best Military Sniper Movie.

Enemy at the Gates:

Where the Soviets are British and the Germans are Americans with horribly fake German accents.

Too bad there's no movie on Simo Häyhä...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TalonJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enemy at the Gates:

Where the Soviets are British and the Germans are Americans with horribly fake German accents. </div></div>

I think you nailed why it grates with me so much. Jude Law's Cockney accent is just plain wrong; even worse than Mel Gibson in Highlander!
grin.gif

Plus to me, the set/scenery looks very cheesy, it somehow has the feeling of a 1930's Soviet film...

I watched Enemy at the Gates because of this thread. I liked it alot.

Quigly is a good movie as well. It would have been great if the female lead wasnt so annoying and poorly acted. I loved his last line to the bad guy.

Best sniper moving in my opinion was SHOT IN THE HEART.

I thought Shooter was ok until I read the book, then I realized it sucked.

Enemy at the Gates was good.

The Sniper series weren't worth the effort.

But to me the best Sniper Scene, was from Full Metal Jacket, that VC lady in Hue was good. She knew how to suck them in.

Dude I remember Valdez is coming, I was about 12 years old and it was inspirational to me..Charles bronson with that big ole buffalo gun on crossed sticks shooting the badguys way way way down in the valley

Another movie that made me want to learn ow to shoot the right way was a real hacker, it was uncommon valor. The characters are going into vietnam to rescue POWS due to some political bs they loose all of there modrn weapons and can only afford to buy WWII stuff on the black market. there is a scene where gene hackman is trying to shoot an nva across a valley with an M1 Garand. He fires misses his spotter with the binos calls a corect and calls miss and a correction and they keep going till he yells hit. I thought using the sights like that was the coolest thing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude I remember Valdez is coming, I was about 12 years old and it was inspirational to me..Charles bronson with that big ole buffalo gun on crossed sticks shooting the badguys way way way down in the valley</div></div>

That wasnt Charles Bronson, it was Bert Lancaster.

I believe the other movie you are referring to is Uncommon Valor, where Jene Hackman was shooting the M-1.

Simular to that scene was in Band of Brothers, where the guy was smoking his sights of his M1 with a Zippo Lighter, I did that in Vietnam with my M16A1.

i open the floor to how many military sniper movies there really are, anyone have a list? inclusive to sniper scenes?

should there be a seperate thread "sniper movies" (either good or bad)

so far we have mentioned

primarily a sniper movie:

sniper (+ sequels)
enemy at the gates
shooter
silent trigger
shot in the heart
*copy, paste, keep adding so there are no repeats mentioned...

movies including sniperish scenes:

saving private ryan
quigley down under
Valdez is coming - watch out alaska!

Thought I would add two movies onto this:

Sun cheung sau (The Sniper) - in Mandarin & Cantonese, subtitled in English
www.mediaasia.com/thesniper/

The Matador (sniper scenes) - Pierce Brosnan comedy

sniper (+ sequels)
enemy at the gates
shooter
silent trigger
shot in the heart
Sun cheung sau (The Sniper)

saving private ryan
quigley down under
The Matador

Sniper was good and sequels sucked but give edge to Enemy at the gate and I guess I will have to watch silent trigger after what some hve said about it

I know it is not a "sniper" movie, but I really like Sgt. York. I know its a movie, but the idea of someone taking a shot because he knew it would ultimately save lives, is the true premise of a snipers role.

Shooter was good. Saving Private Ryan was better. And RAMBO rocks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharm762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooter because it talked about how everything can affect a long range shot. Finally I saw a movie where the crosshairs have leads on the moving target and adjustments are made on the scope. </div></div>

ya and his windage adjustment moves the crosshairs up or vice versa i cant remember, and he can read the dinty moore can at a mile. still a good flick. best in a while

enemy at the gates hands down

I thought Jackson from Saving Private Ryan was the best sniper characher and most believable

I thought it was great on shooter that your can almost read the label on the can of beans that he shoots at a mile. I shoot a nightforce 5.5x22 NXS and wouldnt hardly be able to see a soup can at the 800 yards I shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TalonJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enemy at the Gates:

Where the Soviets are British and the Germans are Americans with horribly fake German accents. </div></div>

I think you nailed why it grates with me so much. Jude Law's Cockney accent is just plain wrong; even worse than Mel Gibson in Highlander!
grin.gif

</div></div>

I take it you never watched "Robinhood" with Costner doing the worst English accent that has been on the silver screen.

Shooter was awesome. Sounds like I need to check out Enemy at the Gates and I want the two hours of my life back that Jarhead took away.

Only one "sniper" moment in the whole series ... Think of it as the "Band of Brothers" for OIF ....

Generation Kill

Decent show for sure

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not a Sniper, never was, and now it's unlikely I ever will be.

I think that if we expect Hollywood to get it right vis-a-vis the Sniper genre, we will wait forever.

In the meantime, I think the movies where Snipers are portrayed are at least entertaining, and generally portray Snipers and their missons in a positive manner. I don't think that's either too much or too little to ask for.

I have seen all the Sniper (I-III) movies, and consider them fair-to-middlin' entertaining. Authentic, no; but remember, we <span style="font-style: italic">are</span> talking about Hollywood...

I settle for what I can get.

Greg </div></div>

Greg's comments are on the money. These are films to entertain; they are not documentaries. As a fireman for 34 years, I can tell you Backdraft is nowhere near realistic. I still think it's a good movie.

There really are only 5 or so sniper movies listed here; movies where the sniper or sniping is the main element. The rest are movies that have snipers in them. Black Hawk Down and Saving Pvt. Ryan are two of my all time favorite movies, but I would not call them sniper movies.

Shooter, Sniper, and Enemy At the Gates were all entertaining for me. Shooter is the best movie (i.e. film meant to entertain rather than educate), at least for me.

The next time you find yourself criticizing a movie because of the lack of realism, ask yourself if you liked The Wizaard of Oz and Star Wars. One was based on a chick's dream and the other has a 9 foot hairy co-pilot driving space ships. If you say yes, then you get it. If you say no, well........... then there is just something wrong with you.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milspec1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The "Best" sniper movie has not been pooped out by Hollyweird yet. Several good movies have been mentioned here. My favorite is Shooter by a long shot. The scene in the beginning of the movie sorted it to the top of my list. Correct m40a3, correct reticle, etc....was a nice touch. Like others have said, hope a real sniper movie comes out some day. Although I don't see that happening in the current conditions. </div></div>

I hate to bring it up because the equipment was right but an 800+ meter/yard(can't remember)head shot while the target is moving 30 to 45 mph is nigh impossible to make. But then again I just do this for a living so what do I know

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought I would add two movies onto this:

Sun cheung sau (The Sniper) - in Mandarin & Cantonese, subtitled in English
www.mediaasia.com/thesniper/

The Matador (sniper scenes) - Pierce Brosnan comedy

sniper (+ sequels)
enemy at the gates
shooter
silent trigger
shot in the heart
Sun cheung sau (The Sniper)

saving private ryan
quigley down under
The Matador

</div></div>

I believe it is "Shot Through the Heart".

Very interesting movie.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Best Military Sniper Movie - Blackhawk Down.

Master Sgt. Gary Gordon and SFC Randy Shughart show what courage and being a sniper is all about. The willingness against all odds to sacrifice your life for your fellow soldier and for a higher cause.
</div></div>

Agree, Blackhawk Down was a very good movie, especially as good as the book was.

Taking nothing away from their amazing heroism....My issue with the Gordon/Shugart deal was why didn't the blackhawk that inserted them just use its minigun and bring in the Little Birds on the crowds advancing on the downed helo instead of two guys who at best were going to die also when they ran out of ammo. I recall thinking that while reading the book and then again watching the movie. Why not use the big guns and mow the skinnies down instead of with an M14 and pistols one shot at a time?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazarus Long</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Behind Enemy Lines" had some entertaining scenes with a Sig sniper rifle of some sort. </div></div>

+1, eventhough most of the movie is far-fetched. There were some good sniper shots/scenes.

A few questions here:

1. In the beginning of shooter, if they wanted him to lock and load after every shot, then why didn't they just give him a bolt action?
2. Also in shooter (keep in mind I never served or worked with a military spotter) but at the beginning when his spotter is calling out the shot on the first truck, why does he say "XXX meters and closing"? Would he say that if the truck was driving towards them? Not being picky about it, just curious if that is the proper calling since they were defending the target of which the truck was closing on.

How about Dawn of the Dead (2004 remake), playing "Find-the-Celebrity" from the roof top. You got to admit, that was pretty funny shiznit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shootin4Fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few questions here:

1. In the beginning of shooter, if they wanted him to lock and load after every shot, then why didn't they just give him a bolt action?
2. Also in shooter (keep in mind I never served or worked with a military spotter) but at the beginning when his spotter is calling out the shot on the first truck, why does he say "XXX meters and closing"? Would he say that if the truck was driving towards them? Not being picky about it, just curious if that is the proper calling since they were defending the target of which the truck was closing on. </div></div>
I believe he says closing,in reference to the "wide spot in the road" to which they had previously ranged. I could be mistaken though.

I would have to vote for Shooter and enemy at the gates, or, conversely, ANYTHING that didn't have Tom Beringer in it!

The second thing that bugged me about Saving Private Ryan (the first being that they stole C.H.'s scope kill shot) was when the sniper was in the bell tower looking down the barrel of the kraut tank...why didn't he pull the trigger? 30-06 rattling down the tube would probably have lit off that round in the barrel, massive carnage, sniper takes out tank - living legend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Best Military Sniper Movie - Blackhawk Down.

Master Sgt. Gary Gordon and SFC Randy Shughart show what courage and being a sniper is all about. The willingness against all odds to sacrifice your life for your fellow soldier and for a higher cause.
</div></div>

Agree, Blackhawk Down was a very good movie, especially as good as the book was.

Taking nothing away from their amazing heroism....My issue with the Gordon/Shugart deal was why didn't the blackhawk that inserted them just use its minigun and bring in the Little Birds on the crowds advancing on the downed helo instead of two guys who at best were going to die also when they ran out of ammo. I recall thinking that while reading the book and then again watching the movie. Why not use the big guns and mow the skinnies down instead of with an M14 and pistols one shot at a time?</div></div>

I have wondered the same thing, but what I imagine is ROE got in the way. Probably didn't want to mow down innocents. If it was me, I would have mowed them all down, fuck em.

I think I prefer Shooter over Enemy at the Gates but both are good movies again judging on entertainment not on how good their facts are. A Hathcock movie would be great but I fear Hollywood would screw it up. Just added Shot through the Heart to Netflix look forward to watching it.

Enemy at the gates is def. one of the best, but Shooter talks about the details which I like it too.

A movie called "Entrusted" has some interesting shooting scenes.
Shot Through the Heart
Enemy At The Gates
Shooter

"Sniper" did not impress me.
The poster who mentioned "Valdez is Coming" really picked a golden oldie.

Enemy at the Gates is a great flick and probably my favorite. I keep forgetting to check out Shot Through the Heart.

I did like shooter as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lug_knut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milspec1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The "Best" sniper movie has not been pooped out by Hollyweird yet. Several good movies have been mentioned here. My favorite is Shooter by a long shot. The scene in the beginning of the movie sorted it to the top of my list. Correct m40a3, correct reticle, etc....was a nice touch. Like others have said, hope a real sniper movie comes out some day. Although I don't see that happening in the current conditions. </div></div>

I hate to bring it up because the equipment was right but an 800+ meter/yard(can't remember)head shot while the target is moving 30 to 45 mph is nigh impossible to make. But then again I just do this for a living so what do I know </div></div>

And it was ONLY a two mil lead, iirc