• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Best Military Sniper Movie.

Re: Best Military Sniper Movie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolloxinaspanner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The second thing that bugged me about Saving Private Ryan (the first being that they stole C.H.'s scope kill shot) was when the sniper was in the bell tower looking down the barrel of the kraut tank...why didn't he pull the trigger? 30-06 rattling down the tube would probably have lit off that round in the barrel, massive carnage, sniper takes out tank - living legend.</div></div>
Take this with humor:
(#1) Looking down the barrel of a tank that is about to splat you all over a bell tower I just don't think your brain will have the blood to think straight because the shooters A-hole would be working overtime working as fast as possible to crap as much as it can.
(#2) 30-06 vs german tank round is like using a fly swatter to knock a golden eagle out of the sky.
Thanks for the humor.......SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Irelander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Clear and Present Danger" had some pretty cool sniper scenes, but like "Saving Private Ryan" there were not enough of them. </div></div>

I was told by a military sniper that <span style="font-style: italic">Clear and Present Danger</span> had the best depiction of sniper training he had ever seen in a movie.

Enemy at the Gates. Depicts the time when a sniper was realized to be a valuable asset on the battlefield.

I had a hard time beleiving the part in Jarhead where the Iragis were smoking the contractors with a Dragunov but when it was the GI's turn they had a harder time with a 50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GhostWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enemy at the gates was great.

Shooter was a major disappointment. So much of the book was cut out that should not have been.

</div></div>

I alway find if I have read the book, the movie is a big let down. This one was no different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja Pirtle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Best Military Sniper Movie - Blackhawk Down.

Master Sgt. Gary Gordon and SFC Randy Shughart show what courage and being a sniper is all about. The willingness against all odds to sacrifice your life for your fellow soldier and for a higher cause.
</div></div>

Agree, Blackhawk Down was a very good movie, especially as good as the book was.

Taking nothing away from their amazing heroism....My issue with the Gordon/Shugart deal was why didn't the blackhawk that inserted them just use its minigun and bring in the Little Birds on the crowds advancing on the downed helo instead of two guys who at best were going to die also when they ran out of ammo. I recall thinking that while reading the book and then again watching the movie. Why not use the big guns and mow the skinnies down instead of with an M14 and pistols one shot at a time?</div></div>

I have wondered the same thing, but what I imagine is ROE got in the way. Probably didn't want to mow down innocents. If it was me, I would have mowed them all down, fuck em. </div></div>

For sure. When all those skinnies started moving in on the bird, as far as I'm concerned they were engaged, and therefore targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okurok</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I had a hard time beleiving the part in Jarhead where the Iragis were smoking the contractors with a Dragunov but when it was the GI's turn they had a harder time with a 50.
</div></div>

I think you're mistaking Jarhead with The Hurt Locker.

A little western flavor but don't forget Quigley Down Under. Sharps single shot breech for the win.

Enemy at the Gates - fantastic
Saving Private Ryan - awesome
Shooter - hogwash (anyone that thinks someone can make a shot on a human in a moving vehicle is smoking crack) and I read the book about 15-years ago - the movie was bs.
Sniper - what a load of crap.

I would have to say in this order Shooter, Black Hawk Down, Enemy at the gates, and finaly Full metal jacket

Def. Enemy at the Gates - Saving Private Ryan and the first "Sniper" w/ Tom Berringer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shootin4Fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about Dawn of the Dead (2004 remake), playing "Find-the-Celebrity" from the roof top. You got to admit, that was pretty funny shiznit. </div></div>

Totally agree. The undead would make fun range toys.

+1 for Enemy at the Gates! Not much of a Marky Mark fan but I did like Shooter. I would have rather seen it follow the book much more than it did but what I did like about it was, they did a pretty good job of using correct weapons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Holling</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'Shooter' was loosely based on Carlos Hathcock, in the book at least (Point of Impact). The movie was a touch different from the book. </div></div>
A touch different?
The movie was nowhere close to the book. They paralleled each other but way different. The movie was entertaining to watch but the book was 100% better. Books are always better than movies in my opinion. </div></div>

The books also recognize Hathcock as a contemporary of Swagger, rather than disguising Hathcock as Swagger. Hathcock plays a part in one of the more recent books in the series - I, Sniper, I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhnmdahl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Holling</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'Shooter' was loosely based on Carlos Hathcock, in the book at least (Point of Impact). The movie was a touch different from the book. </div></div>
A touch different?
The movie was nowhere close to the book. They paralleled each other but way different. The movie was entertaining to watch but the book was 100% better. Books are always better than movies in my opinion. </div></div>

The books also recognize Hathcock as a contemporary of Swagger, rather than disguising Hathcock as Swagger. Hathcock plays a part in one of the more recent books in the series - I, Sniper, I think. </div></div>

You are correct, it's in I-Sniper. Although, they call him Carl Hitchcock but there's no doubt the character is based on Carlos Hathcock. Damn good book though!

havent really seen a good one yet, as they all seem pretty fukn fake to me.

Can't say I have a favorite sniper movie. They can all be picked apart at points but I will say one thing that made me just grit my teeth about "Shooter" (and yes I did like the overall film) was when he whips out the .50 at the helicopter. Why in the hell is he charging back a semi-auto after every shot? Come on most films like this have military advisors or at least gun techs on film sets, get your heads out of your asses.

Tasers Hurt,

In reference to your user name; THEY DAMN SURE DO!! If they told me I had to take a hit from mine again to keep carrying it, I'd tell them to keep the damn thing! That was a one time only thing for me!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tasers Hurt,

In reference to your user name; THEY DAMN SURE DO!! If they told me I had to take a hit from mine again to keep carrying it, I'd tell them to keep the damn thing! That was a one time only thing for me!! </div></div>

It was definitley not a pleasant experience to say the least. However, anytime I have had to use my taser a liitle bit of the pain I felt leaves me and travels to them. LOL

I will take mace over the taser any day!!

My favorite sniper movie is Shot Through The Heart. A really under rated film if you have not seen it I highly recommend it about the Bosnian / Serb war.

Def. Enemy at the Gates - Saving Private Ryan and the first "Sniper" w/ Tom Berringer

The comments about the 50 Cal not cycling during the opening scene in Shooter has to do with the rounds being blanks. The blanks that are fired don't generate enough power to cycle the action. I just posted this in case no one put a answer down.

The .50 cal not cycling was also based on how they editted the movie. Their military consultant was a marine sniper and basically told them how to make the movie realistic but still entertaining.

I was quite impressed with how effectively the screenwriter updated and truncated Point of Impact into the film Shooter.

I heard an interview with Stephen Hunter on opening Friday. He was comparing his job as a novelist ('start talking and never shut up- give infinite detail") and that of the screenwriter who has to "jettison backstory and tell a lot of information wit each word".

Updating to a veteran of a conflict more familiar to today's film audience is a no brainer. And youthening the lead a decade (much like Bourne) shouldn't come as a surprise. If it's set today, you can't have some 60 -70 year old VietNam vet for an action hero. It just won't work.

Unless you're doing a miniseries, you can't get a whole novel faithfully into a movie (except maybe Forest Carter's Gone To Texas -The Outlaw Josey Wales). Attempts to do so wind up excruciating, like a lot of BBC literary adaptations that are sooo faithful and sooo boring.

Not really a sniper movie but Clear and Present Danger
had some entertaining scenes..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharpshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My favorite sniper movie is Shot Through The Heart. A really under rated film if you have not seen it I highly recommend it about the Bosnian / Serb war. </div></div>

Loved that movie. Got in on a recommendation here and was not disappointed.

Alot of the movies here are eyecandy with pretty bad acting and really rudimentary plots that didn't interest me, but this movie I thought was quite good.

The directors cut edition of "Last of the Mohicans" has a sniper scene early in the movie that ranks with my favorite marksman scenes of all time.
smile.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Waltz With Bashir</span> is probably one of the best war movies I've ever seen. Its animated, and in Hebrew, so unless you don't mind reading subtitles its probably not a film for you. There are a few 'sniper' scenes but the film focus is more on the psychological trauma of warfare. The film follows the recollections of various veterans and their experiences in the Lebanese Civil War.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Waltz With Bashir</span> is probably one of the best war movies I've ever seen. Its animated, and in Hebrew, so unless you don't mind reading subtitles its probably not a film for you. There are a few 'sniper' scenes but the film focus is more on the psychological trauma of warfare. The film follows the recollections of various veterans and their experiences in the Lebanese Civil War. </div></div>

Now on my list.