• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Best Military Sniper Movie.

Re: Best Military Sniper Movie.

Enemy at the Gates
Savin Private Ryan
There were a few scenes from Quigley down under that were pretty good...The bucket shoot or job interview scene was cool.

Not a 'sniper' movie...But Band of Brothers was an AWESOME war movie.

Sniper was just bad.....

Shooter started out good...right up to the 2200yrd cold bore shot with a used bullet...then it got as hokey as Hitlary's/Obama's campaign speeches...

308Panther

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Panther</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Shooter started out good...right up to the 2200yrd cold bore shot with a used bullet...then it got as hokey as Hitlary's/Obama's campaign speeches...

308Panther

</div></div>

In Shooter, they did not kill the Archbishop with a used bullet.
They took the bullet he used to shoot the can of stew in the
beginning and planted it as evidence. And I don't think anything
can compete with Hilary/Obama's speeches as far as hokiness
goes. They take the cake.

As for my pick, there obviously aren't enough movies about
Snipers. I like all the ones so far with Shooter probably being
my favorite. However there was a pretty cool sniper scene with
Brad Pitt as a Marine Scout Sniper in Vietnam in the movie Spy
Games with Robert Redford.

Navy Seals for some serious infrared action. "God, God, can you hear me?" God here. I've got three targets. Hold on. BOOM..BOOM...BOOM They're not moving. You're clear. (Or something like that. Just from my recollection.)

Only if you are speaking about the worst possible sniping movie. Insertion by train in a hostile AO? Fit for cartoons only.

Trooper11B

+1 for Sniper it is Tom's best movie. II was alright, but III was cheesy. Nice rifles in all three movies.

If you liked Shooter, even remotely, you will love the book (they have it on audio for download at Audible.com). The name of the book is called Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter. I know they always say this, but the book was much better than the movie. Especially if you're actually former military or a die hard "shooter". There was a series of books, but the rewrite of the movie cut out too many of the characters they would need to make a sequel based on the books.

i'll say Shooter but it still could've been a little more realistic in the shot depiction and the 50 at the begining. showing the distance of the shots was an awsome addition though, over all good flick.

i suppose i'll need to check out that book now thanks hit2hurt

id say shooter.. however the best military movie ive seen is band of brothers.

the Best Military Sniper Movie - Blackhawk Down.

Master Sgt. Gary Gordon and SFC Randy Shughart show what courage and being a sniper is all about. The willingness against all odds to sacrifice your life for your fellow soldier and for a higher cause.

as awesome as that scene was, it just showed the selflessness of your fellow soldier, it didnt really dipict how snipers operate, id have to say shooter was probably the best. for sniper depiction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as awesome as that scene was, it just showed the selflessness of your fellow soldier, it didnt really dipict how snipers operate, id have to say shooter was probably the best. for sniper depiction. </div></div>

Good point, very true! I'll go with "Shooter" or "Saving Private Ryan" for now. I still need to watch "Shot Through the Heart" as people are speaking highly of it.

Shot through the Heart

I almost bought Sniper 3 at a Circuit City then I remembered this thread, I did buy Enemy at the Gates the other day and liked it alot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mar6072</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'll say Shooter but it still could've been a little more realistic in the shot depiction and the 50 at the begining. showing the distance of the shots was an awsome addition though, over all good flick.

i suppose i'll need to check out that book now thanks hit2hurt </div></div>
Were you talking about how he racked the bolt back each time he fired a round out of the fifty? I've seen those guns in action before and yes they are fairly crappy after the abuse Marines put on them but common.

my reference to the 50 was racking the bolt and yes we Marines do "test" our gear to it's limits (that's why we can't keep nice things lol) but i've never seen anybody have to do it with every round it was obvious that he was firing blanks. as far as the shot depiction it simply comes down to hollywood and having to stay within what the sensors will allow them to show and keep the rating the director is going for. but i still believe that it is an overall good movie, that did have many accurate points(field sketch, spotter calling targets, etc.).

enemy at the gates is great
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Holling</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Books are always better than movies in my opinion. </div></div>

I thought that too, until I tried to read the Bourne books. Really liked the movies, but the books were terrible IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeep sarge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where do you find shot throught the heart? Local movie store says it is not on DVD? </div></div>

Netflix has it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mountainlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Holling</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Books are always better than movies in my opinion. </div></div>

I thought that too, until I tried to read the Bourne books. Really liked the movies, but the books were terrible IMHO.
</div></div>

Ludlum is an acquired taste, kinda like LeCarre.

Not to go all "Old Fogy" but there has been a generational change since Ludlum wrote the book and you have to make a serious effort to get into it. It helps if you lived during the time LOL No different than trying to get into "The Great Gatsby" 60 years after the time it was set in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psywar1-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mountainlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Holling</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Books are always better than movies in my opinion. </div></div>

</div></div>

Ludlum is an acquired taste, kinda like LeCarre.

Not to go all "Old Fogy" but there has been a generational change since Ludlum wrote the book and you have to make a serious effort to get into it. It helps if you lived during the time LOL No different than trying to get into "The Great Gatsby" 60 years after the time it was set in.

</div></div>

Well, maybe I'll give him another shot. I'm a voracious reader, usually reading 2 or three books at the same time. Working on filling our 3rd floor to ceiling wall bookshelf of books. Got plenty of classics too, so I'm used to buckling down--maybe I just wasn't in that mindset with Ludlum.

I'll agree that it is hard to get into Ludlum, but once you do those books are hard to put down. His writing style is a bit different, and it is not a book to read in 5 minute spurts. The Bourne series are my favorite books by Ludlum, but I have really liked all of them.

Stay away from the books written after his death, they are not near as good.

Plus one on <span style="font-style: italic">Blackhawk Down</span>.
<span style="font-style: italic">
Enemy at the Gates</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">Shot Through the Heart </span>were pretty good.

The only part of <span style="font-style: italic">Shooter</span> I really liked was when he was talking to the old gunsmith in Tennessee.

Heck, the best "sharpshootin'" scene that Hollywood ever filmed was Daniel Day Lewis covering the courier from the fort wall in <span style="font-style: italic">Last of the Mohicans. </span>
wink.gif

"Enemy At the Gates" for current #1

"Shooter" was OK, but the book (Point of Impact) was 100x better. They strayed too far from the book with the script. Plus the opening scene with the M82 ruined it for me. I have shot and carried several M82A1A's and we never had one that had to be hand cycled. Yes it would jam once in a great while, but not often.

"Blackhawk Down" was a good movie overall, but I still have problems watching the part when the snipers fastroped in. Guess I am just getting old and emotional.

"Sniper" sucked. No two ways about it. From the flashy-blinky reticles to Billy Zane's suck ass acting.

Another thing that pissed me off with Sniper was the Francotirador patch that the main guy wore on his uniform. That patch was designed by a boss of mine when he was a Special Forces Team leader for a Sniper MTT to El Salvador. The ES graduates of the course wore the patch like in the movie, the SF team had the same patch, without the Francotirador tab with their team number(This was pre ODA time, IIRC it was A-14). Some of the movie was filmed on location in Panama, and that patch was on the wall of Luddigramma's, a Panamanian patch making shop, and somehow ended up on the uniform of a marine in a movie (I cant capatalize Marine in that instance)

Shooter is good and Enemy at the Gates also, Shooter is a bit real i think , but they have chosen the spot of shooting at the African sequence wrong , Its easy to pinpoint the hide based upon the Ethiopians forces training and experience.

What i truly like about Shoter, is the bond between the shooter and the spotter, and when he loses his postter , he after a while finds a new one , and that bond is like brothers, they know each other on good and bad very good , and is the only ones thay can trust in a dangerous situation.

But the .408 is yummy, hopefully the Police Departments over here wont find on somthing stupid to ban the rifle caliber also as they have done with the .50 BMG, and some others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Saving Private Ryan should be on the list of, How not to use your sniper movie.

Example: When they assault the MG position, the "sniper", leaves the doofus with his scope and assaults with the rest of them. Then the Dumbass typist is watching the machine gun position through the scope. Im thinking "HEAD SHOT!"

Man, then the bell tower of Death....

Great movie, just not for this. </div></div>

I think Saving Private Ryan probably pretty accurately portrays what it was like back then. I was not there, so I don't know, but you have to remember, there was no established sniper programs at that time so snipers were not getting used properly. Just a glorified grunt at that time. Part of what made our current programs so successful comes from the failures of those that came before us. This is just an example of how things have progressed since then, though judging by our current movies that come out, hollyweird still has a lot to learn.

shooter was good, but.....can sum1 realy do a head shot @900 or so yds why'll moving 30-40mph going away?
i like enemy n sniper. just the 1st one.

Curernt favorite is Enemy at the Gates but...

Old Favorite is Sergeant York. When you can call out the enemy with a turkey call , you're pretty creative.

I'd never actually watched SNiper until last night. I was drunk, and based on everyone not liking it and all I decided to give it a try.

It was definitely awful.

Even my wife was calling BS here and there.

Love that reticle with the squiggely lines though think USO could line that up?

I'm not a Sniper, never was, and now it's unlikely I ever will be.

I think that if we expect Hollywood to get it right vis-a-vis the Sniper genre, we will wait forever.

In the meantime, I think the movies where Snipers are portrayed are at least entertaining, and generally portray Snipers and their missons in a positive manner. I don't think that's either too much or too little to ask for.

I have seen all the Sniper (I-III) movies, and consider them fair-to-middlin' entertaining. Authentic, no; but remember, we <span style="font-style: italic">are</span> talking about Hollywood...

I settle for what I can get.

Greg

Seen all of them and none are really what it was like. Hollywood could and will never capture the true "sniper".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LOSTSOUL34</div><div class="ubbcode-body">enemy at the gates then shooter </div></div>

+1

for those whole like SHTF scenarios, Shot Through the Heart is the best. Personally it's probably one of my favorite movies of all time and that says something because not only is it one of my favorite movies but it's an action film. I have a real problem watching action films. I tend to analyze them too much and can't stand them because of their hokiness. Shot Through the Heart really nails down how badly situations can deteriorate in urban environments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: workingman1976</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LOSTSOUL34</div><div class="ubbcode-body">enemy at the gates then shooter </div></div>

+1 </div></div>

+2 on that one!

There has been word of a Hathcock movie but it keeps getting shut down. I have heard of at least 3 tries to get it green lit but nothing yet.

1. shooter (movie would have been much better if they would have included the gimpy BR shooter)

2. enemy at the gates
3. tears of the sun
4. sniper 1

Shooter, as was said the movie would have been a lot better if they just followed the book(Point of Impact). The book was just awesome,one of those books that keeps you up until the late hours because you can not put it down!

Forgot to mention "Enemy at the Gates" didn't care for the ending though.

Personally I think that out of all of the movies listed, Tom Barringer played his part the best, although the movies is a little hoaky now, it was pretty cool for a sniper movie in 1992 and he played the part very well, had the attitude and the look. That being said, a few things right off the bat that could have made the movie way better would be to have built an M40A1 or found one for the movie, not a 700P in an HS stock with Leupold M3, and deep six Billy Zanes character and that part of the story line, should have focused more on Bekkett and his past present and future, still keep the shots as they were, but with a real spotter and write in more of the el Salvadorian sniper he trained that was hunting him. I still like to watch it though, it was sort of the original "sniper" movie.

I'm still waiting for the "best" sniper movie.

Shooter was entertaing. It's actually the only movie on this thread that I own, maybe bacause I don't really see anyone falling for the whole "we need you to plan a presidental assasignation, so we can stop it line", but I could see some ex shooters taking up arms for the right cause.

Enemy at the gates was interesting.

Tears of the sun didn't thrill me.

Sniper 1 was great just because I watched it in Panama and like someone said, it is the original sniper movie.

As a side note Stephen Hunter is just a damn good writer.

Another series that you guys that like books as entertainment might like is the "Ghost/Kildar" series by John Ringo, not really that realistic, but entertaining.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: northshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I think that out of all of the movies listed, Tom Barringer played his part the best, although the movies is a little hoaky now, it was pretty cool for a sniper movie in 1992 and he played the part very well, had the attitude and the look. That being said, a few things right off the bat that could have made the movie way better would be to have built an M40A1 or found one for the movie, not a 700P in an HS stock with Leupold M3, and deep six Billy Zanes character and that part of the story line, should have focused more on Bekkett and his past present and future, still keep the shots as they were, but with a real spotter and write in more of the el Salvadorian sniper he trained that was hunting him. I still like to watch it though, it was sort of the original "sniper" movie. </div></div>

Now that has the makings of a fine movie. I would like to see "Beckett" a prequel to Sniper with all of the shit listed above plus some original stories, not Hathcock remakes because I don't think they need to disrespect Gunny like that. I think he deserves all of the credit for what he did and make a movie solely based on him and his exploits but that is just MHO

I would say Full Metal Jacket but just because of the ending when they are being shot at by the sniper. That's a great movie all around IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeppoKa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: northshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I think that out of all of the movies listed, Tom Barringer played his part the best, although the movies is a little hoaky now, it was pretty cool for a sniper movie in 1992 and he played the part very well, had the attitude and the look. That being said, a few things right off the bat that could have made the movie way better would be to have built an M40A1 or found one for the movie, not a 700P in an HS stock with Leupold M3, and deep six Billy Zanes character and that part of the story line, should have focused more on Bekkett and his past present and future, still keep the shots as they were, but with a real spotter and write in more of the el Salvadorian sniper he trained that was hunting him. I still like to watch it though, it was sort of the original "sniper" movie. </div></div>

Now that has the makings of a fine movie. I would like to see "Beckett" a prequel to Sniper with all of the shit listed above plus some original stories, not Hathcock remakes because I don't think they need to disrespect Gunny like that. I think he deserves all of the credit for what he did and make a movie solely based on him and his exploits but that is just MHO </div></div>

I agree, the Hathcock part is not necessary, but a remake or 4th movie the way you describe would be great. It would be nice to see a movie about the Canadian Sniper, Rob Furlong, who made the 2450m kill shot in Operation Anaconda as well.

Enemy at the gate was a good movie.