• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Military Surplus Outlet to find Grid Squares?

mallrat

Team LaFours
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2013
The guys at the LGS say I need a box of military Grid Squares to complete my LR shooting set up, anybody suggest a favorite supplier?

Those are pretty easy to find. Any good military surplus store would have them. They come in boxes.

Meanwhile, just make sure that your kit contains chemlight batteries and a front slope indicator.

Make sure to grab a bag of freqs while you're at it...can't call for help without em

Make sure you get at least 100 feet of flight line to secure them or they will get all messed up when you try to lay them out

Make sure your grid squares aren't cluttered up with t-r double e's (on the back of the package)..makes it difficult to make those precision shots.

Humvee keys...so you can drive it to the motor pool and swap out the summer air with winter air for the tires...haha good times

You could run down the comms shack and tell the Staff Sergeant that you're looking for a "prick E-6"

Don't forget the bubble pump for the level on your rifle/mortar. If you loose the bubble in the level, you're hosed without one...frequency grease can help sometimes, but sometimes you just need that bubble pump.

If you can find an ID-10-Tango, it might lead you to the pump though...could be you'll find it when you go feed the Gamma goat...

Last edited:
Before you get gridsquares you need a 12" ground guide; the grid squares are useless without the ground guide.

When you find the grid squares in stock someplace, you may as well check to see if they also have a couple of bottles of rotor wash to clean them. The last thing you need in the field is dirty grid squares.

Loved it when I was told to look for the wobbling bearing or some stupid shit. "Ok, I'll go look for them." Go to the barracks, take a nap, return in time to be released for the day.

Make sure you get at least 100 feet of flight line to secure them or they will get all messed up when you try to lay them out

Don't forget the propwash. It works on grid squares to keep them clean and sparkly . . .

There has got to be an update to all of these. Buckets of muzzle blast - boxes of grid squares - blinker fluid - muffler bearings - ID10T forms - TRdoulbeE with an A-P-E attachment - all at least 30 years old. Bring the new stuff, guys.

There has got to be an update to all of these. Buckets of muzzle blast - boxes of grid squares - blinker fluid - muffler bearings - ID10T forms - TRdoulbeE with an A-P-E attachment - all at least 30 years old. Bring the new stuff, guys.

Umm okay. How about the cockpit seat for an MQ-9?

I enlisted while I was still in high school and my first year in the Reserves I got caught by every one of those classics. A year later I went active, went back to PV2 as required, and the SPC4s and SGTs at my new unit tried all of the same tricks not realizing that I'd already been around the block, so to speak. And yet, when it was my turn, I did it too ;)

I lack a military background, but worked as a machine operator in college. My dad was a master machinist in a development shop at a university that made things for NASA and various one-off projects. One year they got a young guy from Germany as an apprentice. My pop explained the tolerances on a particular job were very tight and when extreme tolerances were involved regular cutting oil was not going to, um, cut it. He had that German running around the shop for an hour asking every guy there where he could find some Maiden Oil. Everyone played along and the poor guy never caught on, probably due to English being a second language. I gather the grid squares (we're talking map coordinates right?) are along the same lines.

Make sure to get a map of the area your grids are in in the right scale otherwise you may be calling indirect fire down on yourself.

Last I heard the grid squares were right next to the keys for the drop zone and canopy lights......

This is the most helpful thread I've run into on the hide yet! Thanks for looking out for all of us who are just getting started.

for every 10 grid squares purchased , I will include a bottle of rotor wash for free. I think I have 1 or 2 radar cross sections for sale as well

happy thanksgiving

Ray

Don't forget to get a bucket of steam....sometimes the only you can clean the grid squares is with steam..

Remember if there is not enough room on your shelf for the grid squares, find yourself a shelf stretcher. They work great.

Good luck finding any locally, they've all been shipped overseas

gridsquares_zps31db0b30.jpg

courtesy of Sirhr

Calibrating the Radar - YouTube

We use our extra retarded new employees to "Calibrate the Radar" on the Dive Support Boat.
Sky Hooks, Gravity Clamps, Buoyancy Clamps are all part of a diver's tool kit.
We also put the blade in a hacksaw backwards on purpose.
When we work in black water ( zero visibility ), we put the hacksaw blade upside down to screw with the diver...

This crescent wrench is metric. You have to flip it over for American standard sized bolts.

Don't forget to add a couple of quarts of track tension to the shopping list, and don't mix up 100 yards of flight line with 100 yards of firing line as they are radically different. Specifically request the correct scale of grid squares as TheGerman mentioned. Your new 'cruit will certainly bring back the wrong ones !

Those grid squares won't do you any good unless you have the keys to the drop zone ...

You won't see anything down range until you call range control and have them turn on the range fans... that will eliminate the early morning fog...