• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best Military watch

TACTICAL45

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 17, 2007
    Where ever they send me...
    For all those that have been in, still in, what is the best all around watch to get? Two that I have looked at were the 5.11 HRT Titanium and the Suunto Vector.
    Knowing that I am looking into these types of watches with those options, I also want the following out of it as well. This list will grow as more suggestions are made:
    Scratch resistant face
    Very durable band
    Compass
    Easy to read numbers/face (large number, nothing small)

I leave first of April for the Army, so I have a little time get some of the things I need a head of time. I just bought a Leatherman Wave in black. Thanks for the help.

Re: Best Military watch

There are a few threads in here on that topic, search and thou shall find...

What do you want it to do?
    Personally, I run a Casio Pro-trek something Tough Solar.
    Ive beat the crap out of it and its still running perfectly, save a few scratches.
    Incredibly strong wristband, watch attatched to band with sort of rubber loops so the band is actually one-piece, will never tear off any pins or anything.
    No battery change, comes with an elastic secondary wristband for outside-the-sleeve use in colder climates (for solar recharging, never ran mine dry, it switches off in display in the dark to save power and switch on again on movement).
    Built in compass (surprisingly accurate, even in planes and helos (verified against onboard compasses and GPS), altimeter (must ba calibrated relative to atm.pressure), temp gauge, atm. press reading, world time zones (shows local time + "home" time, GMT or whatever).
    I like the thing, its lightweight (alu/stainless) and in my experience extremely durable.
    Just make sure you disable the auto-light function that lights it up for 5 seconds when bringing it up to read (tilt sensors) or you could be shit out of luck in certain situations
    wink.gif

John - out

Wait till you get through basic. Go to the PX .
    I've had a Casio Solar for 4yrs,,no batteries,good watch.

Casio G Shock solar.
    If you need hands the Luminox are good but the rubber bands get cracks and break easily.

Suunto Vector is a great watch.. Except... The face isnt mineral glass. So it scratches very easily. This can be avoided by purchasing a face protector from Suunto.

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/...gb-1v-1567.html

Thats mine... glass does not have one single scratch in it, although the ring around it is beat up, so its real hard anyway.
    There are probably newer models out now, with more or less features, I got mine since they had it there and then, any of those Casio solar watches should do the trick if thats eventually your route of choice.

John - out

I bought a Luminox and got a rubber & cloth band with the purchase. For $200ish you can get a watch thats built like a tank!

I'm not military but I picked this up at a local "one stop shopping" type place last year. It was $140ish, on sale for $100ish, and then clearanced out due to a remodel of that department. I think I ended up paying just under $40 for it and couldn't be happier. Solar, atomic, durable, etc. etc.

gshock.jpg

whatever you get ... get the $10 nylon band with the cover. OFF and Insect Spray eats up rubber/plastic watches. My G shock looked like a melted hunk of crap by the end of Sapper School back in the 90s.

As for features ... make sure the "chime" on/off feature is deep in some mode menu and not a one touch type thing. Temp / Compass / and all those gizmos are nice. The Sunto watches compasses are very accurate actually. Having a huge watch on also has disadvantages. My recommendation for the Nylon band was preemptive. The first time you try to sling up a 100 lbs ruck or take one off ... solo ... your snazy 200 watch will go flying. (been there)

Lastly ... buying items like this BEFORE Boot camp ... waste of time and just more crap you have to carry. I know your excited and ready to go ... trust me ... wait till after Basic. There will be a Mini Mall with a Clothing and Sales store more than ready to eat you paycheck.

GL

The watches that have been mentioned are great time pieces but I agree with Strohman and some of the others, wait until after basic to get your watch. I remember when I went through Sand Hill I had a cheap $10 military-style watch and when it came time to empty our pockets for the O-course my drill sergeant looked down and saw my watch.

He said "Private...what is that in your cover?"
    I said.."A watch Drill Sergeant"
    He said..."When did I say you could have a watch"
    I said..."You didn't Drill Sergeant"
    He said..."Give it to me...you can get at the end of cycle"

Fucker wore it at our graduation ceremony lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not military but I picked this up at a local "one stop shopping" type place last year. It was $140ish, on sale for $100ish, and then clearanced out due to a remodel of that department. I think I ended up paying just under $40 for it and couldn't be happier. Solar, atomic, durable, etc. etc.

gshock.jpg
    </div></div>

I'm not mil either, but I have that same watch and it's been good to me.

You shouldn't need a watch at basic, at least I didn't. I am with some of the others wait till you graduate and pick one up. I wear a luminox and it is ok wish I would have went with a taser now.

I will take your words of advice. I just wanted to get a head start on this. It will be a major tool and it could be a expensive buy. Just like our guns I have learned "buy once, cry once!" Please keep the advice coming. Information like the bug spray is stuff very very few would think of unless they have done it.
    So far this is what is winning:
    Casio Pathfinder Solar

5163nhFN8NL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Personally the 5.11's are just copies of the Suunto products in nearly every sense of the word. However, the shooter's watch has my interest.

Stay away from the Vector. It's button happy when worn...that and Suunto has disco'd it to go full-bore with the Core platform. The Core is nice and has a button lock-out, but it's got a hefty price tag. I had a subdued Core and liked it; it truly has a HUGE face.

If you don't need all the bells and whistles on the Suunto product, just buy a Casio or Timex shock-resistant watch. Solar products aren't field worthy simply because they'll usually be covered by your uniform and light discipline says that you should hide the face of it toward your body.

Rule of thumb: KISS or Keep It Simple Stupid (or Stupid Simple)
    More features mean more power usage.
    Digital compasses tend to drain batteries much faster than they would be under normal use in a watch. The best tool you can get is a lensatic compass of your own...it is less likely to fail you where the digital can and likely will.

Why spend the money on high-end if you're just going to beat it up in the field?
    Be cautious with the Letherman products. My guys broke several (over 20) in 04 and traded them back to the PX for Gerbers (refund/exchange).

Hide or Die,
    I have no experience with a Suunto, but the HRT was a pain in the ass to use. I traded a new 870 for it a month later I sold it for $200.00 and never looked back.

I will have a back up compass. I already know the saying "one is one, two is one". I am in the LE field also have been in local HLS for 4 years. The watch I have been using is a SS dive watch, very durable, just will not do what I need it to in the service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TACTICAL45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will take your words of advice. I just wanted to get a head start on this. It will be a major tool and it could be a expensive buy. Just like our guns I have learned "buy once, cry once!" Please keep the advice coming. Information like the bug spray is stuff very very few would think of unless they have done it.
    So far this is what is winning:
    Casio Pathfinder Solar

5163nhFN8NL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    </div></div>

That watch is fine. You will probably put it in your duffle at shakedown and see it again once you graduate. Think of it like this... If the Army wants you to have it ... they will issue it to you. When you get on the plane to go to Basic take as LITTLE as possible. The more you take the more you have to carry. Once you get out of Basic and go to AIT you might get a little "freedom" ... don't get all silly and buy lots of crap. Just go to school (AIT) ... graduate ... and move out to your first Unit. Once you get to your first Unit you can begin aquiring all the "cool" toys. Even then its pretty much a waste. Every deployment I was ever on ... even "peacekeeping" BS ... you will get issued more than enough crap to carry around. There was a thread a while back about what to get a 21 yr old Marine on his way to Afghanistan. Everyone was saying a knife , leatherman, etc etc. Those types of items you will be issued. Gerbers / Benchmade Knives and the like come out of the woodwork. Anything you put down your hard earned cash on will not be replaced. In Iraq ... Aimpoints/Night Vision/Gerbers/Benchamdes/Magazines/Surefires/cool Molle Compatable Tactical stuff was issued and destroyed daily while on mission. They ISSUE these items because they know you will break them. Aimpoint M2s are tought battle sights but when a IED flips a 10 ton truck and your m4 was laying next to the M2 in the turrent ... that M2 is the least of your worries. Yah you recover the M4 etc ... but you go to the arms room and swap it for a new one. If while dismounting from the back of a MRAP and you catch your $200 watch on the door latch and it goes flying and gets run over by a M1A1 that is rolling security with you ... you can't ask for a replacement.

Granted I have no idea what MOS your going into and that could change a lot. Im speaking from experience and having wasted money on things myself. Get your feet on the ground at your first duty station at least before you start stockin up on more things to carry.

Strohman,
    Thanks for the information, it does make good sense. So even wait until after AIT? I figured I could start using it there to learn from and apply. Not questioning you personally, just offering my intentions mislead as they may be! I do not plan on buying a watch until after basic for sure.
    I appreciate all of you guys chiming in to help out. Just another example of why I come to this site first for answers. Keep the information coming.

Thanks again!

Casio G-Shock

They survive an amazing amount of punishment without being so expensive you cry if you loose it.

Don't buy a pretty watch. I have a Casio diver that the crystal is pitted from helo ops in the desert.

I purchased a Casio Pathfinder and was very disappointed it lost 4-5 seconds a week. 4 - 5 seconds may not sound like allot but it equate to 4-5 minutes a year. I contacted Casio and they said that was well within their specs. I checked the website and it also said + or - 20 seconds a month. In my opinion that is unacceptable. Since then I returned the watch and went back to my Suunto Vector. I am considering a G-Shock solar atomic.

Barsaboy,
    Nice watches, but I need a all in one watch with the spec's. that have been posted.

Carnivore,
    Very nice watch bands. I will keep them in mind for sure. I was thinking of having someone here on the Hide make one out of paracord for two reasons:
    1) Keeps money with family.
    2) If I ever need some cord, I'll have it. (I know)
    What are your thoughts on that?

I have 2 very good watches that I have had no problems with, the first is a Luminox that I bought 3 years ago when I joined, it still works like it did when it was new and I haven't needed to change batteries. I also have a 5.11 field ops watch, it has lots of good features like a ballistic calculator, electronic compass, 3 time zone settings, alarm clock, stop watch, and chronograph. They have both been great, you can find watches like these on most posts but I would recommend not buying one of the shitty cheap watches from the px.

Where are you going for Basic training? most places wont allow you to wear your watch the entire time your there and definitely not the leatherman, you will get to put them in your personal bag with anything else you bring and see it after you graduate. But all posts are different so you may be able to wear the watch but like I said it is unlikely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nofear67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 2 very good watches that I have had no problems with, the first is a Luminox that I bought 3 years ago when I joined, it still works like it did when it was new and I haven't needed to change batteries. I also have a 5.11 field ops watch, it has lots of good features like a ballistic calculator, electronic compass, 3 time zone settings, alarm clock, stop watch, and chronograph. They have both been great, you can find watches like these on most posts but I would recommend not buying one of the shitty cheap watches from the px.

Where are you going for Basic training? most places wont allow you to wear your watch the entire time your there and definitely not the leatherman, you will get to put them in your personal bag with anything else you bring and see it after you graduate. But all posts are different so you may be able to wear the watch but like I said it is unlikely. </div></div>

I was going to suggest the Luminox, but held off due to their pricing. Glad someone else chimed in with it.

Hey Tac45, having been in-theater, a scuba instructor, a skydiver, a rock climber, and a geocacher I can honestly say that once you balance all the different features that fit your needs you'll notice that the field will be limited to 3-5 watches tops if not just 1 or 2.

The Suunto Vector would have been great if it had a button lock-out, but someone in the SF community demonstrated to Suunto that there was a problem with the compass readings. Mine survived the desert and roughly 4 years of daily abuse before it finally died on a dive trip in the Bahamas (2 batteries in 4 years). I hadn't used the HRT myself, but I noticed they sit in the case a while at my local FFL.

I see a lot of gravitation towards the Casio G-Shocks in this thread. I liked mine until I managed to donate it to a new service member heading to Korea. And you can believe what you read about the rubber strap cover...if you go G-Shock, the cover is a MUST!

Just depends on your needs and budget, much like buying a firearm.

Let us know what you wind up picking up, if/when that happens.

Get a Casio G-Shock for basic!

Don't screw up a good watch for basic!

What branch/job? Infantry?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strohman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whatever you get ... get the $10 nylon band with the cover. OFF and Insect Spray eats up rubber/plastic watches. My G shock looked like a melted hunk of crap by the end of Sapper School back in the 90s.

As for features ... make sure the "chime" on/off feature is deep in some mode menu and not a one touch type thing. Temp / Compass / and all those gizmos are nice. The Sunto watches compasses are very accurate actually. Having a huge watch on also has disadvantages. My recommendation for the Nylon band was preemptive. The first time you try to sling up a 100 lbs ruck or take one off ... solo ... your snazy 200 watch will go flying. (been there)

Lastly ... buying items like this BEFORE Boot camp ... waste of time and just more crap you have to carry. I know your excited and ready to go ... trust me ... wait till after Basic. There will be a Mini Mall with a Clothing and Sales store more than ready to eat you paycheck.

GL </div></div>
    In Ranger School I had the bug juice eat a hole in my sewing kit!
    The old school DEET is awesome and rather toxic!

II would get a Luminox. Battery life for over 10 yrs, very visible at night

I agree with the KISS method.

I like a few of the g-shocks, but for a simple tough as bricks watch I like the Luminox.

I have a 3050 series that ive been wearing for about 4 years, ive beat the shit out of it and it still works perfect and looks good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TACTICAL45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barsaboy,
    Nice watches, but I need a all in one watch with the spec's. that have been posted.</div></div>

No worries, it's been a while since I checked out their website - have to admit I didn't check their range against the specs you posted.

I have heard a lot of people suggest the G-Shock and also heard the buttons are difficult to manipulate, true? Is there really that much difference between the G-Shock and the Pathfinder Solar, or is it that no has put it the test yet?

I also hear a lot about the Luminox, I have yet to see something they make with what I require. Have I just missed it or is it they do not make it?

Stefan73,
    35MI HUMINT I will be attached to SF, just don't know which yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TACTICAL45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard a lot of people suggest the G-Shock and also heard the buttons are difficult to manipulate, true? Is there really that much difference between the G-Shock and the Pathfinder Solar, or is it that no has put it the test yet?

Stefan73,
    35MI HUMINT I will be attached to SF, just don't know which yet. </div></div>

Sure wish you had posted that initially. You'll note that several opinions will exist in the SF community. Most will lean toward Luminox, Suunto, and 5.11's. But that's going to be based on the type of unit they're actually in...and it does make a difference.

The CA folks wouldn't have the need for a high-end Suunto, 5.11, or Luminox. However, a Ranger might have a higher need for it as well as Air Assault folks, Airborne, etc.

So don't discount the Casio stuff you've received beta on, just keep in mind unit typology when you look at options.

Congrats!

Guys,

I'm not going to knock anyone's decision or their experience. I have had two Luminox and sold them both. There is nothing, absolutely nothing that will compare to the toughness and reliability of the G-Shock. Mine survived more banging around the inside of aircraft on a daily basis, temperature extremes and more salt water than most people will see in a lifetime.
    There is a reason the G-Shock enjoys the reputation that it has. It has earned it time after time.

I guarantee more real world type guys wear G-Shocks over any other brand.

Now if you need the bells and whistles, then pick your poison. But if you're looking for a watch that tells time, the correct time, all the time, any time, then it's time to get a G-Shock.

That is all.

Hide or Die,
    So now everyone understands why I require such options. If I wanted to just sit back in the office I could get by with the watch I have had for the last 8-10 years. When I do anything I like to have as much advantages as possible. Who knows what may happen? I know there is having what you need and holy shit, did you bring enough? LOL. I just got off the phone with Casio, they said the Pathfinder is just a rugged but is bulkier to wear. Are they just saying that, who knows?
    They did tell me about a G-Shock no one has mentioned yet, the G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1. Everything I am looking for except a compass, SHIT! It is a deal breaker for me, a quick acquisition compass would be the whip. One less thing to not have to dig for, tie down, keep from swinging and making noise.

Sorry Mohonri, did not see your post until after i posted, but yes, that is the one they recommended. That is still a reasonable price. They go for less that $200.00 shipped on Amazon, you might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere.

T45:
    As far as the band is concerned, it is pretty much what will float your boat, but if you need to connect it to a G-Shock you will need to be careful as to what will connect to what. The adapters will fit the Gulfman with slight modification that can be found on that referenced website. The straps are tough as nails and not very expensive.

Once again, if you need anything shoot me a PM, I don't always check my posts, but I would be happy to help.

I run a suunto core and have had it for 3 years. I have never replaced the strap, the face isnt scratched bad. It has one little mark on it but it doesnt affect readability. I guess its personal preference. And i have not taken it off my wrist since i bought it except to change the battery once. They make a great product. I am a commercial diver and all my gauges and compasses are all suunto.just my .02 cents.

^^^ Nice job MorganNick bringing up a necro-thread to plug your watch business, but I hardly believe anyone with a "lick of sense" would ever use a fashion Guess or Michael Kors watch in a tactical situation. Smells kind of like spam to me.

Fashion watches belong on 5th Ave under an umbrella where their fragile finishes and worthless seals won't get harmed by perspiration or a light sprinkle.

My advice is to stick with a digital watch on duty, many of the ones mentioned are great. With a digital watch you can sync it with your GPS/radio time and you will always be able to set your radio time off your watch and be able to communicate on the net. If the time on your radio is off more than a few seconds, you won't be able to talk.

You won't need a watch in basic/OSUT. In what ever AIT you go through you will be able to get buy with something cheap from the PX. As far as for out there in the real world? I say wait till you get to your unit and see what the vets are running. If there is something great that fits your mission requirements then they'll know. As for me suunto x10mi had a XM9mi that I beat to death on multiple rotations. I called Suunto told them that I cracked the case on a deployment they told me to send it in and I did so 4 weeks later brand new XM10 shows up no questions asked GREAT customer service!But showing up to anykind of army school with a GPS watch is highly frowned upon.

I used the G-Shock solar Wave Ceptor. Its an outstanding watch, no batteries needed and automatically updates. It also has every time zone and GMT for Comms sync when the CYZ-10 isnt available.

Just thought I should add that ive owned the watch for 6+ yrs without problems. Its taken some good physical abuse and seen temps below 0 and over 140.

I dont know how it workes there in the US but here in the Australian Army we were not allowed watches at Basic we were told that the Instructing staff would tell us what we can do and when to do it the last thing you want to do is turn up with a flash do everything watch and then they will just hang shit on you for your whole basic they hated anyone with any previous knowlidge about anything. the DS thought if it was worth knowing it was only worth knowing if it was taught their way.

As mentioned wait until you get to your unit or specilist training and there will be people that can direct you onto the items that will be usefull for your particulat operations.

Timex, 24 hr dial, red second hand, 25 dollar at the PX, keeps good time no winding. What more can i say save your money for personal gun stuff.